Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i use a '01 short block with my '98 cobra? Only thing i can think of that may differ would be the knock sensors but thats irrelevant considering its going to be blown. Just want to make sure its a direct swap. Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm going to guess and say it will.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The '01 block is the same as the '99 block. So, it looks like it'll work. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The only thing you will need to do is tap out the knock sensor holes so the pre-99 knock sensors will screw in. I forgot the actual tap size....shoot me;) Other than that, everything will work!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The timing chain cover is different (bolt holes/pulley location), you will need one off a '01 Cobra or '03 Mach I/Marauder. Other than that I have not been able to find any other differences that matter.

You did mention that you will be blown (assume centrifical), so you will need a blower bracket for an '01 b/c of the different idler pulley location(s). I priced the timing cover from Randy and it was ~200 (w/ new gaskets and idlers) and my new bracket from Vortech was ~225.

Have fun, I can't seem to find the cover anywhere except from Ford...anyone have a '01 Cobra they are parting out :)

Nate

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I seen no differences in the timing chain covers and I am running the 96 Vortech bracket on my 99 engine. If you are just using the block, everything will work on it except the knock sensors!

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah no differences in the 99's. Ford changed the belt routing strating in '01 for both the 2V and 4V. He will need the newer bracket, if he goes with the '01 cover.

Nate

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
ok, the 01 up has a different cover than the 99 down. The 93 Mark VIII to 99 Cobra front cover is the same though, from my experience. What would we do without the net!?!

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah the '93 MK8 - '99 Cobra have the same belt routing...I think they have the same bolt locations/size. Would have to check on that, Ford played around with the bolts around the water pump aswell. I know that anything pre-99 is good to go, but they did start to make changes to the block ~'99.

Nate

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whoa! Alot of replies here... :D well, unfortunately the block i wanted is already sold so thats out the window, but IT'S GOOD TO KNOW otherwise. :cool:

Mahalo!

·
Registered
339 Posts
The SHM engine in my 98 came with a 99 block. Everything transferred over. Like Chad says, Lamotta had to tap out the knock sensor holes to make that fit.

I don't know a lot about this subject, but know I didn't have to buy anything.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Ralph.. how you like your SHM 575 block? Did you get the exact one they advertised on their site or were there additional mods to the block? Was it new or did you do a core exchange?

Are you happy with your block, got any ETs yet? Not to hound you with all these questions, i'm in the process of getting a block and there are soo many options, just trying to get some real life stories (hence: internet) :p shoot me a pm or email if you like. Thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've had mine a couple years. Got it back before there were the choices you have now for 4.6 power. No problems no complaints though. I even think price was fair considering down time of only a few days and the engine was a good one.

I'm not a drag racer, so I wanted an engine for street use, and went with their recommendation of 575 engine with stock compression, blower cams, and stage 1 head work (not much head work). I have made a few trips down the strip on 15" Dr's leaving at idle and granny shifting. Best time is [email protected] After that I quit, and sold my wheels. I can't legally run faster than that, and felt nothing else to prove.

The car has made with 3.3 pulley as high as around 570 at the wheels on ideal dyno day, but currently is detuned a bit with 3.6 puley. It goes just as fast on street tires with 500 RW as before with less fuss, and is a safer tune with stock lines and rails and 42's. It will also get 22-23 MPG at 70 with 4.10's. I'm quite satisfied. I am thinking about going back to 3.73's (which i have had twice before on this car) for more relaxed cruising and better forward traction on street tires.

Before you guys flame me for my views, remember not all of us drag race our cars. I much prefer watching you guys tear up your cars than racing mine. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts