Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would take the time to share with you guys the transmission and other problems I have had from day one with my Cobra.

I bought it new in October of 2001, a few months of pretty normal driving , 2nd gear seemed to just disapear. Going from 1st to 2nd, releasing the clutch and the car would rev like no gear was there. Sometimes it would catch, other times it would not.

I did some research on the Corral and found that there was indeed a problem with the transmission, something to do with a faulty shift fork. With that information, I went to the dealership, told them the problem I was having, also let them know about the horrible TOB noise I had. They told me to check back in a week.

A week goes by and I call the dealer, they said the car would have been ready, but that they had ran into a problem. The car was fixed, but as the technician test drove the car, the same thing happened to him. No second gear. They tell me to give them another week.

While the car was at the dealer, I went to the Spring Break Shootout, while there I talked with the guys from Tremec and they assured me that the problem would be fixed. They even took the time to show me the parts (on a cut open 3650) that would be replaced and went into detail on the problem with the factory part.

I go back and pick the car up and it seems to drive fine, very notchy. I install the shifter (UPR Blu Thunder) I bought while at the Shootout, and its a definate improvement, but this transmission is more notchy than my 3550 in my previous car. I just decide to deal with the notchyness and continue to drive the car.

A few months later, 2nd gear problems again, seems to be the same thing. I take it to a different Ford dealer that is very close by. They call me the next day and tell me the problem is with my shifter install, and that I didn't tighten the bolts good and the shifter is moving and not fully putting the car in second. They reinstall my stock shifter. When I pick up the car, I notice EXCESSIVE shifter slop. When I put the car in second, I could damn near touch my driver seat. Very rubbery feeling, and I know I have gotten used to the tight UPR shifter, but the factory shifter is NOT this sloppy. I deal with it and drive home.

A few days of driving my car, the rough shifting of the car from 1st to 2nd is very annoying, I have almost come to accept the fact that its just going to drive this way. In the mornings, its very hard to put the car in second, without being forceful. It always grinds going into second when its cold, sometimes when its hot.

Another month goes by and I decide to reinstally my UPR shifter. In doing so I notice that the bolt holes are pretty much stripped (they must have tighened the hell out of the stock shifter when they reinstalled it), one was pretty bad. I helicoil the hole and bolt the UPR up. Whats strange is that the shifter is tigher than it was with the stock unit, but their is excessive play, not as much, but its there. I talked with a friend that used to work for Ford, he says that the little rubber piece in the tranny where the shifter ball (end of the shifter shaft) fits into may be worn, but I didn't notice anything odd about it. Anyone have any ideas on this?

I am contemplating taking the car to the dealer, and raising hell til its fixed. What do you guys think? I have no mods other than the shifter, I have kept this thing stock.

On another note, the car seems to surge in cold weather, or when its humid. Going from coasting down the road to barely touching the throttle the car jerks. Also their seems to be excessive backlash in the driveline, and the TOB is still noisy as hell. I also hear a loud clunk when I drive over bumps, I thought I had a loose shock, but I checked that. Is this the clunk everyone talks about?

I guess the two problems I do not have is the vibration and the pinging problem. Anyone have any similar problems? I am just venting, and feeling the need to post for some reason. :) It would just be nice to have all these problems fixed before I start modding the car. I know with modding a car you are going to have problems, ticks, noise, etc. That is to be expected, but I have problems with a bone stock car.

OK, I'm finished :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Buy a cheap T45:) I have beat the CRAP out of this tranny and still have not heard any grinding. I have the tri-ax and I feel no slop in the shifts like your describing. When this one goes, I will rebuild it or replace it w/ another T45.

Darren

·
Registered
302 Posts
96blkcobra said:
Loose nut behind the wheel is my best guess :confused:
hehe..

I would also say to go with the T45.. I have heard a lot of people complain about the T45's, But I have not broken one yet (knock on wood). I have broken a couple T5's with a lot less power and no slicks. I have launched my 96 Cobra at 5K RPM's and it has 112K miles on it..

·
Registered
18 Posts
4V_GTS said:
Buy a cheap T45:) I have beat the CRAP out of this tranny and still have not heard any grinding. I have the tri-ax and I feel no slop in the shifts like your describing. When this one goes, I will rebuild it or replace it w/ another T45.

Darren
I second that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Damn it's scary you describe the problems I have with my car to the T. I will concure I'm am a loose nut behind the wheel but the car has a few more loose then I.

First tranny blew out about 10k miles. Left me stranded on the side of the road. This after I had taken the car to the dealer twice for 2nd gear giving me issues. They said drive it till it breaks so I did.

My 2nd and last transmission since Ford said I abused the 1st. Not my fault the TSB wasn't taken care of. This thing is junk. Very notchy, tons of lash, leaks out the output shaft seal. Just a POS rebuilt from Mexico that I got shafted with.

My car experiences the same jerky motion you talk about. But it happens right at 2k most prominently. A very annonying "feature" especially with the excessive driveline lash.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply Jeff, I knew someone out there had to have the same problem with surging.

As for the transmission grinding problem, it seems Ford would have the problem remedied by now. I hear the 2003 GTs are still having transmission problem.

As far as the play in my shifter, I am not quite sure what the cause is. I have went back to the stock shifter (which has more play in it). I plan on taking the car to the dealer in the next few days and see what they tell me.

This weekend at the ModularFords.com dyno day, I am going to let Randy Haywood hook his scan tool up and see if we can simulate the problem on the dyno.

Hopefully I can get these small problems out of the way, and begin modifying my "virgin" Cobra.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE - -

Just wanted to update everyone on my surging issue.

At the dyno day, I had Randy Haywood check it out. He run the car up to 4th gear on the dyno, and held the RPMS @ 2,000 and you could see the car jerking.

We used a wideband to check A/F and it was lean throughout the first pull. 15:1 A/F

He added fuel in the chip, and got it to 13.5:1 which is still a hair leaner than it should be.

It's obvious that something isn't quite right. So when I got back home I replace the fuel filter. That didn't help.

Also we only checked A/F on the driver side, I guess its possible the other side of the engine was fine, we really didn't have time to check it out.

So to me, there are a few possibilities, the main one I think is fuel pressure. Either the pump is weak, or the sensor on the rails is faulty, and the computer is not raising the voltage to the pump.

And since we only checked one side of the engine, it could be an injector. My next step is to get a fuel pressure gauge.

I'll keep you guys posted on what I find.

On a side not, the extra fuel Randy added cleared up alot of the surging, but its still there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good info Eric. It answers one of the basic questions of whether it was a fuel issue either being to rich or to lean at those rpms. I thought 14:1 to considered normal for cruise operation though?

I just have no clue as to what it could be. I've noticed I can get my car to somewhat duplicate the problem even in neutral if you try to get the trottle to hold 2k rpms.

If it's not fuel what else is left? It would be nice to have a logger on the car to see what the timing and other sensors like TPS are doing when this occurs. I don't know anyone local to me that has one I could use or I would give it a try.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 15:1 A/F ratio was when we actually made a pull on the dyno. Throughtout the entire RPM band, it didn't change much. Funny thing is I have never heard my car ping/detonate except one time.

Did Ford ever release a TSB for the 01s with the pinging problem? If so what was the fix, I wonder if this is related.

I have a friend with AutoTAP, I will see if I can borrow it for a few days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Eric Brooks said:
The 15:1 A/F ratio was when we actually made a pull on the dyno. Throughtout the entire RPM band, it didn't change much. Funny thing is I have never heard my car ping/detonate except one time.

Did Ford ever release a TSB for the 01s with the pinging problem? If so what was the fix, I wonder if this is related.

I have a friend with AutoTAP, I will see if I can borrow it for a few days.
Wow yeah I'd say thats real lean then if that was your full throttle pass. Ouch! Amazing you haven't burned a valve or had detination problems.

They released the fix as a flash update to the ECU. What it really does I don't know but it doesn't seem to correct the pinging problem. I didn't get mine updated but a few otehrs with the problem did and all posted the results and no change.

The Autotap would work great

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I finally got my car to the dealership. I dropped it off Thursday. They agreed that something is definately wrong with my shifter. As for the surging, they drove the car and it happened to be a day that it wasn't as noticable.

They are fixing the transmission first. As soon as I find out what was wrong (since no one had an idea as to the problem) I will post pictures of whatever they replace for future reference.

Hopefully, even if they cannot recreate the problem, they will listen to my suggestion and replace the MAF sensor.

So far they have been pretty cool. Maybe they will fix all my problems.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Hope it all works out Eric,,You been chasing this problem for a while..DAMM STOCK CARS :blob

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Car is still at the dealership, been there almost a week.

They have the parts to fix the tranny. They said it needed a new second gear and a syncro (which has already been replaced once)

That really wasnt the problem that concerned me, so I asked them on the phone today why the shifter was so loose, they guy said it was some bushing in the tranny, looks like a defect from Ford. He couldn't tell me much, the service department where my car is at does not do transmission work, they took the tranny to another service department.

Once they get the tranny back in, they are going to chase the surge. I won't pick the car up until they attempt to fix it.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Great that they know it's defect..

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got some good news. Just picked my car up today, and man, IT SHIFTS BETTER THAN IT DID WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR.

They replaced second gear and a syncro, also the bushing that snaps around on the end of the shifter. No exactly what was wrong with mine, as I had looked at it when reinstalling the stock shifter before taking it to them.

They could not find anything on the surge, no codes, and it did not do it while it was there. I feel certain it is the mass air meter, so I'll just put an aftermarket one on and see if that corrects the problem.

Here is a pic of the shifter problem culprit -

Attachments

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
I problem down and one to go..Heading in right direction..:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts