Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm SERIOUSLY considering trading-up to an '03 (there's 5 of them at a small local dealer!), but I fear my ass will hurt from the reaming I get trading-in my 5300-mile 2001.

For those that traded-in an '01 Cobra for an '03 Cobra, how bad did they hit you on the '01 trade-in???

Any info is appreciated -

trade-in value you received for your '01 Cobra

mileage you had on your '01 at the time of trade-in

interest rate for the '03

Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
from what i have seen they will offer you 22 to 24 grand at the most for that low of milage and they will want at least msrp from theres the last run coupes are 35025 so they are going to want a minimum of 11 grand all the way up to 13 grand difference u might want to hand on to yours!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
You may get a better price by selling the 01 outright instead of trading. I know its a bigger PITA but worth the extra few grand you would get..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,260 Posts
I considered it myself. I had my 01 at the dealership having some warranty repairs and they had a sweet looking 03. My car had roughly 10,000 miles on it, perfect condition, no modifications at all, they wanted to give me $22,000 on a trade in.

I also got my 01' at 0% interest. I wanted to trade, but would loose my ass if I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eric Brooks said:
I considered it myself. I had my 01 at the dealership having some warranty repairs and they had a sweet looking 03. My car had roughly 10,000 miles on it, perfect condition, no modifications at all, they wanted to give me $22,000 on a trade in.

I also got my 01' at 0% interest. I wanted to trade, but would loose my ass if I did.
Yeah, EXACTLY the same boat as I'm in - 0% for 60 months.

I'm trying to weigh the raping I'm likely to get vs the cost of a forged bottom-end & supercharger install on the '01.
It doesn't look cheap either way, but it would be nice to have a warranty AND ~ 400rwhp.... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Angus said:
I'm SERIOUSLY considering trading-up to an '03 (there's 5 of them at a small local dealer!), but I fear my ass will hurt from the reaming I get trading-in my 5300-mile 2001.

For those that traded-in an '01 Cobra for an '03 Cobra, how bad did they hit you on the '01 trade-in???

Any info is appreciated -

trade-in value you received for your '01 Cobra

mileage you had on your '01 at the time of trade-in

interest rate for the '03

Thanks in advance!
Angus....what's up with fearing an ass reaming when you trade your car. If you aren't willing to go through the trouble of selling your own ride.....then trade it. But don't expect the dealer to give you retail. If the dealer is going to trade your car....1st off they are only going to give you low trade in. Most dealers are getting retail or more for the 03' Cobras....so why would they give you as much trade as they would on say a GT' that they may discount rather hansomly if you didn't trade. The dealer is no different than any other business....they're there to make money. Sell the car yourself and cut out the middleman (dealer) or trade it and get the new car now for a little more money.

If you drive an 03'.....you will never want to go back to an 01'

Just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: '01 Trade-In on '03???

trmn8r said:
Angus....what's up with fearing an ass reaming when you trade your car. If you aren't willing to go through the trouble of selling your own ride.....then trade it. But don't expect the dealer to give you retail. If the dealer is going to trade your car....1st off they are only going to give you low trade in. Most dealers are getting retail or more for the 03' Cobras....so why would they give you as much trade as they would on say a GT' that they may discount rather hansomly if you didn't trade. The dealer is no different than any other business....they're there to make money. Sell the car yourself and cut out the middleman (dealer) or trade it and get the new car now for a little more money.

If you drive an 03'.....you will never want to go back to an 01'

Just my .02
I just don't want to get boned too badly - I know I wouldn't get retail on a trade-in, but there is such a thing as a "reasonable" profit. I expect the dealer to make money on the transaction, but not to take advantage & gouge me at the same time...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
1 BAD COBRA seems to be right, i got 24,000 for my 01 Cobra, and it had 7,000 miles on it. So I guess you can say that is about normal as to what a dealer would give considering mileage was low. Anywhere from 22-24
Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
matstang03 said:
1 BAD COBRA seems to be right, i got 24,000 for my 01 Cobra, and it had 7,000 miles on it. So I guess you can say that is about normal as to what a dealer would give considering mileage was low. Anywhere from 22-24
Matt
Just outta curiousity, did you trade-in a coupe or a convertible???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Unless you know the dealer and he is a dear family friend for eons AND you have something on him to blackmale him with forever.... You will (and I'm careful using absolutes) ALWAYS get a better price selling it on your own. My pop was in the car business for 35 years - wholesale and retail, SE Penna and Houston... I just kept my eyes open, mouth shut, watched and learned. It's simply amazing how dealers have the talent to screw people and make them think that it was a fantastic deal - a true science & art combo to behold lol

having said that, good luck w/ your dealer and your hopefully new 03 Cobra :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I got lucky with my 01 and sold it before the rest of the world knew what was coming in 03. In January 01, I got $27,500 w/1600 miles. I placed the order for the 03 in January 02, but of course it wasn't accepted until the official first day of ordering on 2/8.

Believe me, one ride around the block in the 03 and you'll forget any screwing you'll have to take on the 01.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fred G said:
Believe me, one ride around the block in the 03 and you'll forget any screwing you'll have to take on the 01.
I'm going to look at a silver 'vert & a yellow coupe tomorrow (as long as it doesn't snow tonight).

May god have mercy on my wallet.... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Angus,
Good luck...We're supposed to have snow this weekend also...I've been trying to get back on the dyno after switching out the FR500 for the Magnaflows, but the weather seems to have other ideas for me. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I refused...

I refused to get an '03 because I had a cherry laser red '01 with 5K on it that I traded a very fast (for me) 99 for.

Then my wife came home with one.

I was upset until I drove it, then like another post said, you don't regret the trade.

The only thing I miss is IMHO, is that my '01 handled better because of the weight distribution. I know they beefed up the springs yadda-yadda, but I find myself plowing a lot compared to my other Cobra. But I ain't no autocrosser.

Learning how to handle the new weight distribution isn't even really a negative I guess. I have had no problems with the exception of transmission and clutch that were remedied by competent people.

There are more used ones available here because the economy is nosediving bad.

*JUMP*
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top