Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here used an 03 cobra block in an 05 up mustang? Or even a Mach 1 block. I have a brand new iron block shortblock built on the stand and i want to know if i can use it or not. A friend of mine said he used a Mach block and had no issues but i keep hearing conflicting stories. I would like to hear from someone who has actually done it if possable

Thanks
Sean

·
Registered
545 Posts
all mmr motors use the 03-04 cobra blocks like the one i have in my car. you just have to get 3v specific pistons.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't run an iron block 03-04 cobra block.

The aluminum block is stronger all the way around. (Just because it's iron doesn't mean it's stronger.)

You're also incurring a weight penalty over the front tires by running that block.

I'd run either a 96-98 block or an 05+ block.

The thing that makes the Terminator blocks so "great" is that they come from Ford with Manley parts in them. You're basically getting a built motor from the factory. It has little or nothing to do with the block.

In comparison, the 96-98 "Tekisid" block (and I hear the 05+ block) are pretty stout by design. The forged 8 bolt crank and the block out of the 96-98 Cobra, for example, is good to more than 1000 HP properly prepped.

I think a lot of people buy into the hype of the 03 Cobra without knowing why.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been in the 03-04 cobra game since the begining and am quit aware of the ins and outs of their motors. I am compleatly familiar with all of the modular motors. I just have not dealt with the swap into an 05 with this block.

Under normal circumstances i wouldnt consider the swap to an iron block but i have a fresh Al Pappito iron longblock on the stand and i will use it if there are no hangups.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all mmr motors use the 03-04 cobra blocks like the one i have in my car. you just have to get 3v specific pistons.
Any issues with motor mounts when you put the iron block in? Thats the only types of things i am concerned about. I want it to be a smooth swap with no hangups so i am trying to research everything up front.

Thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
you need the motor mount adapter mmr sells them and Sean highland does too

·
Registered
507 Posts
You need motor mounts for that block. The best aluminum block, by far, is the '05-up one--according to a friend at Ford. He said the durability testing was great with that block and it was even better than the Teksid.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i havent heard that yet but it could be possible. they have 4 bolt mains along with 2 side bolts so really a 6 bolt main

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have been in the 03-04 cobra game since the beginning and am quite aware of the ins and outs of their motors. I am completely familiar with all of the modular motors. I just have not dealt with the swap into an 05 with this block.

Under normal circumstances i wouldnt consider the swap to an iron block but i have a fresh Al Pappito iron longblock on the stand and i will use it if there are no hangups.
I'm with you, man. If I had a motor built by Al, I'd be hard pressed to NOT use it. (Iron or not.)

You should call Al and ask him. He'll tell you what you need to know.
You need motor mounts for that block. The best aluminum block, by far, is the '05-up one--according to a friend at Ford. He said the durability testing was great with that block and it was even better than the Teksid.
I've heard that same thing from several sources. (None of them are engine builders, so I can't make that recommendation personally)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.