Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A QUESTION WHAT IS THE DIF BETWEEN THE TWO
THE 03 SEEMS TO LEAVE THE LINE BETTER ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
The main differences I know of are stiffer durometer bushings, #4 pinion cross-brace, revised tie-rod mounting location inboard is ~5mm lower, and stronger half-shafts.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Gears? I don't think the 01's had 3.55's.

·
Registered
885 Posts
PMAZZ01 said:
I HAVE A QUESTION WHAT IS THE DIF BETWEEN THE TWO
THE 03 SEEMS TO LEAVE THE LINE BETTER ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT
'03's may leave a little better due to ~ 100 MORE rwhp,
but that has little to do with the IRS. '03 IRS is an improvement over the '01 IRS - it's not perfect,
but it's an improvement none the less...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ANY MORE INFO ?

·
Registered
885 Posts
PMAZZ01 said:
ANY MORE INFO ?
Here are the differences:

2001: 3.27 gears
2003: 3.55 gears

2001: soft control arms bushings
2003: hard control arm bushings

2001: No pinion brace
2003: '00 Cobra R pinion brace

2001: OK-strength 1/2 shafts
2003: Better-strength 1/2 shafts. Not indestructable, but improved.

2001: Soft shocks & springs
2003: Stiffer shocks & springs

2003 also has different tie rod locations & stronger knuckles (uprights)

2003 has wider tires in the rear than the 2001 - 275's vs 245's

2003 has ~ 100 more rwtq at low rpm's

While not all of these are features of the IRS, they all are either directly connected to it or have a big impact on how the current Cobra "Launches."

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GOOD TO KNOW, I HAVE A 2001 COBRA WITH 429 RWHP AND 380 RWTG AND THE 03 SEEM TO HAVE LITTLE WHEEL HOP IF ANY,
I HAVE THE PINON BRACE AND STIFFER LOWERING SPRINGS BUT MINE WHEEL HOPS LIKE A B***H I EVEN BROKE AN 03 HALF SHAFT
ANY IDEAS IM THINKING CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS.

BY THE WAY THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE INFO,

SOME POSTS NEVER GET REPLIED.

PAUL

·
Registered
885 Posts
PMAZZ01 said:
GOOD TO KNOW, I HAVE A 2001 COBRA WITH 429 RWHP AND 380 RWTG AND THE 03 SEEM TO HAVE LITTLE WHEEL HOP IF ANY,
I HAVE THE PINON BRACE AND STIFFER LOWERING SPRINGS BUT MINE WHEEL HOPS LIKE A B***H I EVEN BROKE AN 03 HALF SHAFT
ANY IDEAS IM THINKING CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS.

BY THE WAY THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE INFO,

SOME POSTS NEVER GET REPLIED.

PAUL
You need the IRS subframe bushings if you don't already have them. They are $50.00 from Maximum Motorsports. A pain to install, but well-worth it.

Do you have stiffer or adjustable rear shocks?
2000 Cobra R Bilsteins or other stiffer shocks definately help.
Adjstable shocks are the best of both worlds - set them to "SOFT" for the street for comfort, then switch to "HARD" for the track to lessen wheel-hop.

Maximum Motorsports is set to release polyurethane control arm bushings, control arms & other IRS improvements in the next few months. I am waiting for them instead of buying the Delrin control arm bushings now, due to cost & noise factors.

Hope this helps your wheel-hop.

Angus

(PS: PLEASE turn-off caps-lock for your replies - it looks like you're "Shouting"... ;) )

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Angus said:
You need the IRS subframe bushings if you don't already have them. They are $50.00 from Maximum Motorsports. A pain to install, but well-worth it.

Do you have stiffer or adjustable rear shocks?
2000 Cobra R Bilsteins or other stiffer shocks definately help.
Adjstable shocks are the best of both worlds - set them to "SOFT" for the street for comfort, then switch to "HARD" for the track to lessen wheel-hop.

Maximum Motorsports is set to release polyurethane control arm bushings, control arms & other IRS improvements in the next few months. I am waiting for them instead of buying the Delrin control arm bushings now, due to cost & noise factors.

Hope this helps your wheel-hop.

Angus

(PS: PLEASE turn-off caps-lock for your replies - it looks like you're "Shouting"... ;) )
I agree with Angus you need stiffer IRS assembly bushings. I have the MM Poy and they made a major difference to my 03. SHM now has aluminum bushings. I also have 00R shocks and that helped a lot also. I don't have wheel hop on my car now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys [no caps]

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
Another satisfied customer!!!!! Welcome to the Modularfords.com forums.

gary

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
where do i find lower control arm bushings

·
Registered
885 Posts
PMAZZ01 said:
where do i find lower control arm bushings
Unless you want to spend the $300 or so on Delrin, the only other upgrade option that I'm aware of is the '03 Cobra bushings (they are reportedly a MUCH higher durometer rubber). I have been looking for a source for just the bushings, but have come-up empty-handed so far. The only way Ford sells them is pre-installed in the '03 control arms, and they are ~ $314/each (cheapest I could find).

Maximum Motorsports is supposed to be releasing polyurethane control-arm bushings soon, but there is no confirmed release date yet.
Other aftermarket companies may be selling or getting ready to sell polyurethane control arm bushings, but I can't find them... :(

If you happen to find anyone selling just the '03 control arm bushings, or a source for polyurethane control arm bushings, please share the information here.... ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I would do the Delrin. Yes they are substantially higher durometer then Poly, but remember you have to go through two sets of bushing to hit the chassis. If you use the aluminum IRS assembly bushings from SHM I might think twice about it, but if you do the poly from MM or leave the stock it shouldn't increase NVH that much I would think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts