Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking for a while, but I have been noticing something odd.

Alot of the 03 Cobras I have been reading about have been making BIG dyno numbers but performing poorly at the track (for the amount of power they are making).

Looking through the post, I find several guys makeing 500RWHP and cannot seem to run 10s. Some of them barely into the 11s. For comparison sake, I have seen several 96-98 Cobras with the bolt on Vortech kit (makes about 420RWHP), gears, and exhaust run high 11s all day. Something doesn't add up.

Not trying to start a flame war here, the cars are very impressive. But I would expect better times out of cars making 500 at the tires. JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
'03's are quite a bit heavier, and the IRS limits people from using slicks and launching real hard.

That being said, mine went 11.41 when it had 465 SAE rwhp.

JT

·
Registered
117 Posts
For the most part you are correct, but....... compared to the other cars you mentioned. We have more weight to deal with, and a weak IRS, that is not meant for hard launches. With guys breaking half shafts and input shafts on the trans. I think you are seeing allot of guys trying to make the parts last.

Looks like JT beat me to the punch...hehehe... Great times JT!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was wondering about this to. I am in the market to buy a new 03. Going though the forums it looks like most guys with stock cars are in low 13's or high 12's with Mph around 110. That seems kind of low for a car that puts 385 to the wheels. Is it the weight of the car. My 02 camaro that makes 342 rwhp at the wheels is running 113 mph in the quater in 92 degree heat. Is it just conservative drivers maybee. Where does the 03 cobra redline at?
BTW I cant wait to sell my Camaro and step into a New Cobra. My car before the Camaro was a 98 Cobra. Dam I miss that car.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I think it has everything to do with the Weight and how you can drive them.

With the Solid rear end, a 31 spline truck differential and a set of Mosers, I wouldnt give a second thought to dumping the clutch at 5k+ on slicks......that aint gonna happen in a 03. If you do, there is a good possibility the 03 may may not even move.

I hate the IRS!!!!
:blob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Injector Dude said:
I think it has everything to do with the Weight and how you can drive them.

With the Solid rear end, a 31 spline truck differential and a set of Mosers, I wouldnt give a second thought to dumping the clutch at 5k+ on slicks......that aint gonna happen in a 03. If you do, there is a good possibility the 03 may may not even move.

I hate the IRS!!!!
:blob
I see in your sig you are cutting a 1.8 60'. Is that on a stock IRS? What kind of tires. And what will the IRS handle 60' wise before things start to break. I know the camaro's axle is the biggest POS out there. Stupid things come apart with drag radials.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nitrous Pete claims 1.50s on IRS and ET Streets ( which in my opinion are slicks ). He is leaving hard, it may be possible for him to leave harder than he is, but 1.50 is a pretty hard launch.

Whats the weight difference? 200lbs?

·
Registered
58 Posts
bruno said:
Nitrous Pete claims 1.50s on IRS and ET Streets ( which in my opinion are slicks ). He is leaving hard, it may be possible for him to leave harder than he is, but 1.50 is a pretty hard launch.

I have the hard top coupe and 6 speed so I have the lightest available Camaro. My car is weighing in at 3422 with me in it and a half tank of gas. So I think the difference is closer to 300 lbs.

My best time to date is 13.001 at 113.02 mph with a dismal 2.36 60'. I 315/30/18" Pereli P Zero tires so no side wall. Add to that a sinstered iron clutch that does not like to slip and me only going to the track about 4 times a year, you can see why my 60' suck. If I put on DR's I would be deep in the 12's but I am afraid I will blow my stock POS 10 bolt. Like I said before cant wait to get into a 03 Cobra. I am going to test drive one tomorrow.:D :blob :king

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
With the 18" Cobra R's my 96 weighed 3800+ lbs with me in it. Heavy SOB if you ask me.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I cut a 1.75 on street tires....this was just with a CAI kit and that's it. Now that I have my pulley/chip it's a whole new story that includes alotttttta spinning. It's like learning to drive all over again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
96blkcobra said:
With the 18" Cobra R's my 96 weighed 3800+ lbs with me in it. Heavy SOB if you ask me.
Dam that is heavy. I have Simmons Custom 3 piece road racing rims on my car. There are 18"x11" and weigh about the same as my stock 16"x8" did. I know rims can add alot of unsprung weight.

·
Registered
443 Posts
rb185afm said:
I see in your sig you are cutting a 1.8 60'. Is that on a stock IRS? What kind of tires. And what will the IRS handle 60' wise before things start to break. I know the camaro's axle is the biggest POS out there. Stupid things come apart with drag radials.
The 1.81 and 12.54 was on Nittos when the car had Nittos and a cold air kit.

The 7.67 was done when I added a 6# pulley, chip and catback.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Injector dude..
Are you running a 6lb lower with stock upper? What kind of HP are you making?

THanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
443 Posts
I was, but I never got to dyno it....I have recently swapped over to the KB.

The 6# lower is sitting in a box, not sure if I am going to run it with the KB.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Alan what was the 60ft on the 7.67 @94 pass?? Trey

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My point earlier about the high 11s 96-98 Cobras, these cars are making less horsepower and torque, I have seen them run these times on drag radials, not slicks. Also as 96blkcobra pointed out, his car is pretty damn heavy.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
bruno said:

Pete's been running low 10's, high 9's? I don't understand your point? My point was no good 60 ft, no good ET.

Most 03's that are not running 10's are not getting very low 60 fts.

F8tlbite ran a 10.97 when he got a 1.5x 60 ft, that was on DR's, BTW.

So yes, you can get a good 60 ft on IRS, it just takes good driving, big balls and the willingness to call a tow truck. If you do get the 60 ft, the ET will match the HP the car has.

My 11.41 was with only a 1.78 60 ft. There you have it mid 11's in an '03, with 465 rwhp, even with a semi crappy 60 ft.

My '03 weighed 3820 with me in it.

My 96 36XX with me in it, I don't remember exactly since I haven't had it in a while.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My point is that the 96-01 Cobra guys have ran as fast, if not faster than the 03, making less power.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts