Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently Have a 99 Cobra and have been told that putting an 03 Cobra engine in a 99-01 Cobra can be done? Is this true and where can I find posts about it? I rather spend 8k for a engine and tranny then 5k for a supercharger and 5k on an engine. I would have to pay for the new wiring harnesses but does anybody know anything else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,522 Posts
It's the same car, of course you can swap. But an 03 crate engine and tranny will cost well over 8 grand. More like 10-15 grand. There have been people putting 03 blowers on earlier 4V's on the Corral. Check their SVT forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
I have seen the tranny and motor go for around 8 before. You just have to look around. I am assuming you could change the intake on a pre-03 and put the blower on it that way. But with the the 03 block you would be getting a better block and built motor. Just do a search on the forums.


Brandon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
BagelO said:
I currently Have a 99 Cobra and have been told that putting an 03 Cobra engine in a 99-01 Cobra can be done? Is this true and where can I find posts about it? I rather spend 8k for a engine and tranny then 5k for a supercharger and 5k on an engine. I would have to pay for the new wiring harnesses but does anybody know anything else?
BagelO,
This is actually a pretty easy swap for you. I'm doing an 03 swap into a 91' which requires alot more work. The harness & computer of your 99 cobra will work with a chip. You would need to swap in the 03 tank,pump & lines, but if you drop me an e-mail I can show you where you can pick this all up as a kit (brand new) relatively cheap. If you are trying to save some cash, try to pick up a motor & tranny out of a wrecked 03. I bought my motor new in the crate, but just happened to find a good deal. my e-mail is [email protected] I actually just helped a guy who is finishing a similiar swap, so maybe you two could talk and figure out the extent of the swap. Obviously alittle more than a weekend job. Good luck,
Jeff:king
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
BagelO said:
I currently Have a 99 Cobra and have been told that putting an 03 Cobra engine in a 99-01 Cobra can be done? Is this true and where can I find posts about it? I rather spend 8k for a engine and tranny then 5k for a supercharger and 5k on an engine. I would have to pay for the new wiring harnesses but does anybody know anything else?
Mustang Parts Specialties has one currently for $8000.00:

2003 Cobra Supercharged DOHC engine. 20 hours of dyno time.
Come with wiring on the engine, front accessories, supercharger and belts
$8000. Comes in factory black plastic box.


Link:

Mustang Parts Specialties
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Re: Re: 03 Cobra Engine

Angus said:
Mustang Parts Specialties has one currently for $8000.00:

2003 Cobra Supercharged DOHC engine. 20 hours of dyno time.
Come with wiring on the engine, front accessories, supercharger and belts
$8000. Comes in factory black plastic box.


Link:

Mustang Parts Specialties
I would just question the 'extent' of dyno time, as in, if these were Ford test mules. I heard they do some pretty harsh tests for reliability. Can't hurt to call, maybe they offer a short warranty or guaranteed not to be junk?? My motor was priced alittle lower than that, so maybe they will work with the price.
Good catch Angus!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
What's wrong with 8 - 10 p.s.i. from a centrifugal and 3.73s or 4.10s? Wakes up the '99/01 Cobras, nicely (for a lot less than $8K + motor swap labor...). :blob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
BagelO said:
I currently Have a 99 Cobra and have been told that putting an 03 Cobra engine in a 99-01 Cobra can be done? Is this true and where can I find posts about it? I rather spend 8k for a engine and tranny then 5k for a supercharger and 5k on an engine. I would have to pay for the new wiring harnesses but does anybody know anything else?
I know that Springfield Motorsports in Lorton, VA put an '03 motor in a mid-90's Mustang. Give them a call. Here is there website:

http://www.springfieldmotorsport.com/

Hope that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,720 Posts
I am putting an 03 cobra motor in a 95 Super Coupe right now. I will soon have all of the EEC stuff worked out, and it will be driven by an EEC-V with return style fuel and an EEC controlled 4R70W. If you need help or tuning on such a strange setup, let me know.

With a 99, as long as you keep it a manual transmission you can use your same EEC and harness with only minimal changes and some EEC programming.

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Everett said:
My 1991 mod swap....
That's sick. :worship2 Are you going to mod the motor or just run it as is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Re: Re: 03 Cobra Engine

Angus said:
Mustang Parts Specialties has one currently for $8000.00:

2003 Cobra Supercharged DOHC engine. 20 hours of dyno time.
Come with wiring on the engine, front accessories, supercharger and belts
$8000. Comes in factory black plastic box.


Link:

Mustang Parts Specialties
either they raised the price or they have another one

Here's what I found on there

$10,500.00 BRAND NEW 2003 Mustang Cobra Supercharged DOHC engines available. Complete with all front accessories and belt. Supercharger to oil pan. Wiring is on the engine. No computer or no computer wiring. Wire transfer, money order or cash only.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONLY ONE LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 770-867-2644 Ben, Phil, Vernon or Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 03 Cobra Engine

2001 Yellow GT said:
either they raised the price or they have another one

Here's what I found on there

$10,500.00 BRAND NEW 2003 Mustang Cobra Supercharged DOHC engines available. Complete with all front accessories and belt. Supercharger to oil pan. Wiring is on the engine. No computer or no computer wiring. Wire transfer, money order or cash only.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONLY ONE LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 770-867-2644 Ben, Phil, Vernon or Greg
I heard that is the actual price Ford is selling them for, although hard to get your hands on. As you know most places want $1-2K more. It's a decent price, but still on the high side if you ask me; these prices will really start to come down within a year if you can wait that long
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
UltimateSVT said:
That's sick. :worship2 Are you going to mod the motor or just run it as is?
UltimateSVT,
See the nice thing about the swap is you have to mod the motor to install it :king I'm either going to use kooks full length header or have a custom midlength header made if ground clearance becomes an issue. Also, a Kenne Bell @ 17psi is planned to replace the Eaton within the next month, so it should be a fun ride!! I used to run a Novi 2k 331ci motor, so I can't go backwards in HP:banggears
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top