Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Bwahaha, I love this line....

...and grabs an upshift from the tremec T56 tranny. This is the same ultra-rugged six-speed gearbox used in the dodge viper and Z06 corvette....

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
What's wrong with that line? They never said it was an 03 transmission. What I see wrong is the Z06. It has a transaxle, not a T56.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
This is the link to the car/team.

http://www.tiger-racing.com/

Specs:
Engine: All alloy, 4-valve, supercharged and intercooled 4.6 L, V8

Transmission: Electrohydraulicly controlled, Tremec 6-speed

Lubrication: Dry sump with oil-to-water radiator

Differential: Dana with Quaife limited slip

Brakes: Brembo 14" rotor with 6-piston calipers/front
Brembo 13" rotor with 4-piston caliper/rear

Suspension: Front and rear unequal length A-arm with
Koni coil over shocks

Wheels: Fikse 18" x 9.5" front
Fikse 18" x 12" rear

Tires: Toyo RA1 275/35/ZR18 front
Toyo RA1 335/35/ZR18 rear

Weight: 3000 lbs with driver

Power: 500 hp @ 6800 rpm, 450 lb/ft torque @ 6000 rpm

Notice the article says 600+ HP, their own site lists 500. Odd.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Thats a good point IWRBB. I don't think you can have 600+hp with a 3000lb race weight in the SpeedChannel World Challenge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

I have researched the individual components required for a conversion just for fun after having read about tiger racing last year. It's a standard ford T56 tranny (not a transaxle which is used in a mid engine rwd car) except it has a computer controlled clutch/robotized gearbox assembly in front of the tranny, otherwise it's no different then the 03's T56. Here are some of the required components to create a paddle shift cobra

http://www.magnetimarelli.com/business/engine_prod.htm

This is the company which has provided the F1 gear box prototypes for ferrari, don't know if this is what ford uses in the Aston Martins though. The system is composed of a drive by wire throttle body, ECU, robotic clutch type assembly in front of the T56 and a boat load of engineering man hours.

Eaton also provides drive by wire throttle bodies, most likely what is being used on the new 5.4 3v in the F150.
http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/throttle_controls.html

Unfortunately it takes extensive engineering to adapt the ECU to monitor engine rpm, vehicle speed and current gear in order to blip the throttle at the right moment (millisecond) to match the engine revs for the next gear to provide optimal acceleration. This setup can also perform in automatic mode with a sport & economy setting, so this adds to the engineering expense if it's going in to a civilized street car. Since it is a computer controlling the opening & closing of the throttle body, this is not a home garage DIY conversion. :)

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
boostfreak07 said:
Hi

I have researched the individual components required for a conversion just for fun after having read about tiger racing last year. It's a standard ford T56 tranny (not a transaxle which is used in a mid engine rwd car) except it has a computer controlled clutch/robotized gearbox assembly in front of the tranny, otherwise it's no different then the 03's T56. Here are some of the required components to create a paddle shift cobra
As I suspected, but WTF do I know :shrug:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
IWRBB said:
What's wrong with that line? They never said it was an 03 transmission. What I see wrong is the Z06. It has a transaxle, not a T56.
All C-5 corvettes still have a T-56 even though it is a transaxle configuration.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've seen up close and personal first hand this T56 with the Paddle shifters...They are going to offer this tranny setup in the Aston Martin Vanquish I believe sometime soon...Yes, it has the same "controller" box as the one that is used in the Ferrari cars...Its the same supplier...The engineer that I talked to about this that is in charge of the R&D for it, said its a VERY VERY expensive option, so don't plan on seeing it in a Cobra any time soon...Pretty trick setup though and it actually shifts faster than the 360 F1 car, they modified the controller box...

Jeff

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
The Paddle Shifter in the new Ferrari ,,Is a 15K option...
sheeeeese!!!!:jawdrop

·
Registered
5 Posts
BlackCobra99Va said:
I've seen up close and personal first hand this T56 with the Paddle shifters...They are going to offer this tranny setup in the Aston Martin Vanquish I believe sometime soon...Yes, it has the same "controller" box as the one that is used in the Ferrari cars...Its the same supplier...The engineer that I talked to about this that is in charge of the R&D for it, said its a VERY VERY expensive option, so don't plan on seeing it in a Cobra any time soon...Pretty trick setup though and it actually shifts faster than the 360 F1 car, they modified the controller box...

Jeff
Cool to know it's the same thing then :

As for seeing this on a cobra, do you remember a few months back on blue oval news the picture posted of a test mule stang in a parking lot with paddle shifters & a big red start button. This made me think Ford was considering using this technology on a future Cobra R version in 07 / 08. Ferrari had a video of two identical cars(cant remember which), one with a F1 gearbox the other with a standard 6 speed, same driver, same day, same conditions and the F1 gearbox consistently turned 3 second faster track times. So this would lead you to think if ford ever made another Cobra R, this tranny would be used due to it being more track oriented and since R's are already expensive, it would not be cost prohibitive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts