Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the 2003 Cobra coupe front struts some time ago, and eventually put a Maximum Motorsports coil-over kit on them.
The car rides GREAT, until I hit a moderate/major bump in the road - then it's BANG!, like my struts aren't even there or like I have 800lb+ springs up there... :mad:

I've gone down to a softer front spring (300 lbs/in vs the 350 lbs/in I had on there to start), and the problem has gotten WORSE, not better.

So, my question is:

Do 2003 Cobra front Bilsteins have internal or external bump-stops???
(I was under the impression from reading MM site regarding their coil-overs that ALL Bilsteins have internal bump-stops, negating the need for an external one.)

Anyone know if the '03 front Bilstein struts have the internal bump-stop???

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Yes, they do have internal bump stops all Bilsteins do. Your problem is your spring rates are very weak and you are completely compressing them and hitting either their stops or causing coil bind depending on which is reached first. What type of car is this on? Unless those are coil-over rates I think you need to upgrade to a higher spring rate if that is a V-8 mustang.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I just re-read your post and see that you do have coil-overs. I don't know how hard you are hitting the bump, but you are still bottoming out your suspension. What makes you think you don't have bump stops? Going to a lighter spring rate is just increasing the likelyhood and intensity of such an action. There are several people running 350 on there 03 and I haven't heard of any problems with them. I am personally running 425 with MM race prepp'd struts so my configuration has a much greater wheel rate.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
toofast4u said:
I just re-read your post and see that you do have coil-overs. I don't know how hard you are hitting the bump, but you are still bottoming out your suspension. What makes you think you don't have bump stops? Going to a lighter spring rate is just increasing the likelyhood and intensity of such an action. There are several people running 350 on there 03 and I haven't heard of any problems with them. I am personally running 425 with MM race prepp'd struts so my configuration has a much greater wheel rate.
Did you install the coil-overs yourself?
Or did you have someone do it?

I may have the wrong spacer size between the strut & the bottom of the MM CC plate (or I may not - I don't have anything to compare to).

If you did the install yourself, how many spacers did you use under the CC plate???

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Angus said:
Did you install the coil-overs yourself?
Or did you have someone do it?

I may have the wrong spacer size between the strut & the bottom of the MM CC plate (or I may not - I don't have anything to compare to).

If you did the install yourself, how many spacers did you use under the CC plate???
Yes, I install everything on my car myself. The only thing I have actually had help on was to weld the full length subframe connectors which I prep'd. I don't remember how thick it was it was the largest one provided with the C/C plates I installed them almost 4 months ago. The biggest thing is get a mirror and take the wheel off and see how much clearance is between the top of the coil-over assembly and the bottom of the strut tower it should be between 1/8-1/4" any less and add washers any more you can remove washers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I install everything on my car myself. The only thing I have actually had help on was to weld the full length subframe connectors which I prep'd. I don't remember how thick it was it was the largest one provided with the C/C plates I installed them almost 4 months ago. The biggest thing is get a mirror and take the wheel off and see how much clearance is between the top of the coil-over assembly and the bottom of the strut tower it should be between 1/8-1/4" any less and add washers any more you can remove washers.
Try bump stops for maximum motorsports caster plates , it worked for me they're like $20

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Try bump stops for maximum motorsports caster plates , it worked for me they're like $20
Thanks for the thread bump! These cars were just hitting the lots when the thread was made lol.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The bump-stops are technically external since they are mounted on the strut shaft, but since that shaft is upside-down and inside the housing, you could even call them internal. Here are a couple pics of a damaged '00R housing that I took apart some time ago:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts