Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worried about your cobra half shafts?Maybe you should be more concerned about the supposed bullit proof tremec T-56 transmission.
Here is a picture of the input shaft out of my car.Note this was accomplished on factory Goodyear eagle F-1 tires on a normal city street,conditions were 3rd gear 5800 RPM clutch engaged,corvette in opposite lane.Car pops out of of 3rd gear at 5800 RPM,when i put her back in 3rd gear and released the clutch there was no third gear....or any gear for that matter.
Note to all you people who have modded your car...

FORD states:Quote:"Transmission is a non-servicable item replace entire assembly."

The transmission actually has smaller input and output shafts than the old T-5 transmission.
To date no resolution as far as replacement parts,Ford customer service states they will stand behind SVT with their claim that the entire transmission must be purchased in order to get an input shaft.
Am i missing something or is this the equivalent of buying a new engine because your timing chain broke?
Looks like i will be heading to court in the near future"Fellow owners beware"

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Why are you having to BUY anything on an 03 Cobra, tell em phuck off, and keep the car.

The almighty SVT sucks a collective nut, in my opinion. Cobras, Lightnings, Focus, All of em. I am about ready to dump my 02 Lightning, and go back to riding bikes!

joe:jawdrop

·
Registered
115 Posts
the imput shaft on a viper spec wont fit without a different clutch and further modifications. i agree call D&D they have individual parts and read up on the Coop T-56 topics on the corral. He has had several rebuilds on his T56 due to the imput shaft.

·
Registered
189 Posts
david99fobra said:
the imput shaft on a viper spec wont fit without a different clutch and further modifications. i agree call D&D they have individual parts and read up on the Coop T-56 topics on the corral. He has had several rebuilds on his T56 due to the imput shaft.
I spoke with someone at D & D. They feel it is posible that the trans in question might be defective from the factory or Manufacturer. D & D uses one of our units behind a 550rwhp Stang and are having no problems. There are several moded Cobra's but few with this problem. D & D seem to think heat treament of the input shaft might be incorrect.

Moreover according to D&D, they confirm what Sn8kbite was told from Ford. There are no replacement parts for this. Ford has a deal with Tremec. Whole unit replacement only.

So de-mod your car and drop it at the dealer I guess. :confused:

edit: There is a mod coming out where the input shaft from a Viper is used. D & D will shorten the length and make the necessary mods for the pilot bearing. The clutch disk will have to be changed for the viper uses 26 or 28 spline and not the 10 like ours.

·
Registered
459 Posts
BlownCobra said:

edit: There is a mod coming out where the input shaft from a Viper is used. D & D will shorten the length and make the necessary mods for the pilot bearing. The clutch disk will have to be changed for the viper uses 26 or 28 spline and not the 10 like ours.
The guy I spoke w/ this morning at D&D knew about that but didn't sound like it was near a priority and said it would be something they would look at in June or July maybe..

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
thanks for the info blowncobra. I haven't heard of this being a problem yet so I am hoping it was just a defective trans. And like jerry mentioned, have you heard anything about when the modified viper input shaft might be available? Also, what would the price range be to do this? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Might someone have a link to D & D?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have had no problems at all , I mady have about 20 passes in the low 11sec. zone, With 60 dyno puilles, Some In the 700hp range , about 10 @ 700 hp, I dyno with the stick because there is more hp and tq, all on the stock clutch, when it goes I may install a stock one back in there.
key word stock clutch, you need some slip ! If you install a hard or aggressive clutch , that will happpen, Also there may be defective part in there from the start,
I have seen 2-3 vets At atco runing 10.2 I think they have the t56 6 speed , I know they are shifting them. peace
D& D are in the mmff Mag. nitro

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey Jerry,
That's true, D & D feel's that the T56's are very strong, therefore there is no rush on the mod. I did not get a date, but the way the tect put it to me was... If this becomes a problem we could ..... and that will fix it.

Thanks Pete, bottom line, it's starting to sound more and more like a defective trans. NO offence Sn8kbite. Ford will take care of you.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Yea, I've only seen one, MAYBE two of these failures on the net. Not real common IMO. Once we start getting threads five pages long titled "Another input shaft goes boom" then I'll worry about it. Til then I'll know D&D will have the solution if I ever manage to break this particular T56. It may not be the optimal setup, but at least a beefed up T56 will bolt right in w/o screwing with crossmeber and driveshafts, unlike all other Mustangs (except the almighty 2000 Cobra R)

I wouldn't call a T56 bulletproof. The thing is only rated for 450 Ft-lbs of torque. No manual tranny is bulletproof. For that matter, I hate the term "bulletproof" what exactly does that mean? Does it mean it's strong? How strong? Do you actually have to fire a gun at it? I've fired a little SKS at a 1990 Mustang and it was definately NOT bulletproof. Left big 3" holes in it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
:evil :lol

That's the first laugh I had all day, thank Bro.

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
pete-- correct me if I am wrong, but did you say that you dynoed your car with the T56 and then ran it at the track with the auto?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I spoke with Don at D&D for probably 15 minutes about this issue.
He feels the transmission is grossly weak for th application it is being used for.
My Mods are as follows since someone asked...

Superchip flipchip
2.8 diameter upper pulley
KooKs longtube headers
Bassani Catback
K&N air filter
SPEC stage 3 clutch
Pro 5.0 shifter
Motorsport boost gauge
Motorsport Voltmeter
Motorsport Tachometer

I think my mods are pretty mild compared to some.None the less i have enough done that a dealer would laugh the instant i said "warranty".

1 - 20 of 37 Posts