Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a wrecked but complete 03 cobra and I want to drop the drive train in my 86.

Can anyone give me a heads up on what im up against. Pros and cons
I am probably going to use a big stuff or fast for the computer to keep it simple....
Is this the best route?

My concerns are...

steering shaft... do I have to replace whats in the 86 or will it clear?
k frame.. use the 03 and modify or use aftermarket?
rack... use the 03 with different tie rods?
fuel system.... convert to return style?
a/c ... does it connect to evap in dash (already converted to 93 dash)
ABS.... has anyone swapped that over without swapping the entire wiring harness?
Any one that has used the factory engine management from the 03... did you disable the pats system and how?

I have done a full swap from a 91 coupe to a 95 v6 so Im not completely lost.
But if some one could shed some light on the subject or post a couple links It would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I bought a wrecked but complete 03 cobra and I want to drop the drive train in my 86.

Can anyone give me a heads up on what im up against. Pros and cons
I am probably going to use a big stuff or fast for the computer to keep it simple....
Is this the best route?

My concerns are...

steering shaft... do I have to replace whats in the 86 or will it clear?
k frame.. use the 03 and modify or use aftermarket?
rack... use the 03 with different tie rods?
fuel system.... convert to return style?
a/c ... does it connect to evap in dash (already converted to 93 dash)
ABS.... has anyone swapped that over without swapping the entire wiring harness?
Any one that has used the factory engine management from the 03... did you disable the pats system and how?

I have done a full swap from a 91 coupe to a 95 v6 so Im not completely lost.
But if some one could shed some light on the subject or post a couple links It would be greatly appreciated.
Steering shaft should clear.
K member the 03 cobra should work, or any other 4.6 swap k
The 03 cobra rack should be fine tie rods and all, if you are taking the brakes from the 03 cobra, use 95 spindles.
For the A/C, i read all the posts you have linked, but the box is a PITA to crack open, looks alot easier than it is, so i had my chassis guy cut the fittings off the 4.6 evaporator and cut the fox ones off and weld on the 4.6 fittings. but your guy better be able to really weld.
Custom tune with an SCT tuner eliminates all the uneeded pats and other things.

I'm almost done swapping only using the engine harness, i did NOT use the under the hood fuse block harness, i think people use that with the cluster because it's more plug and play, problem is that half the junk in the under the hood fuse block doesn't work anything on a fox.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts