Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 GT 5 Speed, Engine died without warning...

Driving along... engine died unexpectantly........
I was driving around with my wife, we was on a sunday cruise, you know nothing fast, just taking it easy, had the cruise control on at 55 mph. I gental downhill curve comes up, and all of a sudden, my steering wheel is stiff, so my natural reaction is hit the clutch and get to neutral then, I tap the brakes, and it's stiff. I look at the tack 0 (ZERO) RPMS, no warning light or anything, and I'm coasting. We didn't hear any backfires, no weird vibrations, no warning. I attempted to start the car while coasting downhill, and it took me two failed attempts, and started on the third attempt. Thic acted just like Vapor Lock on a carbed car. Has anyone else had this issue? I found out my brother had the same thing happen to him 2 times. He also has a brand spanking new 03 GT just like me.
03 GT 5 speed Prem with Mach 1000

--Scott
www.silverstangs.net

·
Registered
37 Posts
(continued from other place) ... so no lights at all? just blank, as if the car had been turned off? not even the theft light flashing as it would if the car were turned off, key out?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Same thing use to happen to my 02 till I got some miles on it. And it hasn't done it again. It didn't happen much. Just every once in a while, it would just shut off. Pop the clutch and u were going again.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
evolve said:
(continued from other place) ... so no lights at all? just blank, as if the car had been turned off? not even the theft light flashing as it would if the car were turned off, key out?
Nope, none of that, no flashing theft light.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O.K. it happened again today I was cruising at 68mph and then the steering wheel got stiff, and car was slowing down, so I shifted to neutral, and rpms dropped to zero... again I attempted to start the car, while coasting, and it took 2 tries and started up like nothing happened. No lights, no thieft lights, no nothing....

Now I'm annoyed.......

·
Registered
131 Posts
if it's an 03 why are you telling us about it and not the dealership ? it is under warranty right.........

·
Registered
518 Posts
Mine has never done this going down the road, but it has done it when I go to put it into gear. Just cuts off. Oh, it is an AUTO too.

Brandon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ya know, I've heard a lot of these kinds of stories about '01 and newer cars...Engines just dying, idle surges, etc. I've noticed that both my and a friends 02's have a little surging when cruising around at @ 30 and again at @ 45. Annoying, but not as severe as the problem you and others are having, silver.

Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
silverstangs said:
03 GT 5 Speed, Engine died without warning...

Driving along... engine died unexpectantly........
I was driving around with my wife, we was on a sunday cruise, you know nothing fast, just taking it easy, had the cruise control on at 55 mph. I gental downhill curve comes up, and all of a sudden, my steering wheel is stiff, so my natural reaction is hit the clutch and get to neutral then, I tap the brakes, and it's stiff. I look at the tack 0 (ZERO) RPMS, no warning light or anything, and I'm coasting. We didn't hear any backfires, no weird vibrations, no warning. I attempted to start the car while coasting downhill, and it took me two failed attempts, and started on the third attempt. Thic acted just like Vapor Lock on a carbed car. Has anyone else had this issue? I found out my brother had the same thing happen to him 2 times. He also has a brand spanking new 03 GT just like me.
03 GT 5 speed Prem with Mach 1000

--Scott
www.silverstangs.net
Yeah I've had the same thing happen twice in the last couple months. From what I've heard this is a common problem.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have not had the thing happen for a while, but now I see the rpms drop really low sometimes when I come to a stop, even thou I'm not in gear.

·
Registered
492 Posts
silverstangs said:
I have not had the thing happen for a while, but now I see the rpms drop really low sometimes when I come to a stop, even thou I'm not in gear.
Had the same thing here. Still happens from time to time. Took it to Ford, but they wouldnt even look at it unless I pulled the chip out. It even happened without the chip so I know it wasnt that. Ford couldnt find anything wrong when they had it so I said to hell with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 03 gt convertible. I had that happen once when i first got it (4000 miles ago). It happened when i pulled up to a stop sign. I when to go and nothing, dead, nada. I think my problem was a low idle, after resetting it, it went away. Not exactly the same problem as your, but very curious.

·
Registered
492 Posts
One thing I found was that every so often, as the weather changed etc.., the car would run diofferently. I would reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a bit. Restart and it would run great again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts