Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 96 gt auto and was wondering if i can swap a 2003 gt auto rear end into it? driveshaft and rear end assembly complete?

i thought i read somewhere the 03 rear end was narrower. it is a simple bolt on, and if not what are the differences, and are the rear gears different as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
i think the 03 is wider than the 96. but it should still work fine. not sure about the gears though

·
Registered
91 Posts
getting ready to do the same swap....just found this threw search anybody have any imput? has anyone here done this and did u have to modify anything? seems like it would bolt right in but always good to ask! thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Why are you doing the swap? Is it to replace a bad/worn out rear-end?

Consider if using a salvage yard rear end, that the replacement rear-end may not be any better than the one you have. An 8.8 can be re-built for about $650(including labor). Once re-built, it is as good as new.

If you proceed with the swap, consider rebuilding while it is off of the car. Much easier. Don't be surprised if the front pinion seal from a 2003-2004 leaks.

If doing the work yourself, the parts are less than $125. A rear-end rebuild is not a beginner's job. Do your homework before attempting.

OBTW, the 96 GT and 03 GT Ford 8.8 use the same stock gears and ratios (3.27).

·
Registered
534 Posts
The 99 to 04 rear axle is wider than the to 96 by .75" on either side.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The added width would be nice for most stock replacement type wheels, it pushes out the wheel/tire and fills the wheel wells better. spacers not needed.. BUT the lower arm hole is 2mm bigger. that may or may not be a problem... You can use 1/2 inch bolts if they fit the arms but the stock 12mm bolt may be too small for performance driving.. thats the only compatibility differences.... ratios are probably not the same, 3.27 were the norm for 99-04, mach'1 got 3.55's..the 96-98 could be anything from 2.73 to 3.27,more common to see 3.08's...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.