Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone have any info on 03 motor availability for either a complete service motor or long block. I have found some complete with ridiculous prices (1/2 price of new cobra coupe). Considering doing a conversion into a fox body. Have considered using an aluminum block and then top end of the 03', but piecing it together becomes quite hectic. Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
7500 does not seem too bad. My motor is currently shot! Any ideas for what all would be needed to swap into a 94 cobra?

Only probelm I see would be the fuel system.

Would like to throw it in with a kenne bell:shocked

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was thinking about this somemore. How would you hook up the 03 cobra computer harness work with the 94 cobra computer?

Would I be better off buying a longblock, getting a kbell then going with a fast system??

But buying just the longblock, I wouldn't have all other components needed right? (ex..alternator , intercooler, pulley system, etc,,)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jerry...Thanks a million!! I orginally saw the ones @ Karkraft and just find that price insane!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Everett, your welcome.

3snakes1coupe: Your going to need a wiring schematic for an 03' and a 94' and start splicing! Seriously I don't know the right way to do it, but its probably close.

So you want an 03 Cobra engine.. why, it makes great power. That is due to a better head design and cams than the 99' and 01', plus forged components, plus integrated intercooler. It also seems to do better than any other returnless cobra from a fuel perspective due to the dual pumps. If it were me I'd get an 03 longblock (less Eaton)for the heads, add an intercooler from the Cobra and a KB and yes get a standalone engine mgmt unit IF it could control the returnless and dual pumps. If not, then I'd still do standalone and a return style system w/ standard (nor variable voltage) fuel pumps like in your 94. That's my .02.

Jerry

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jerry,

Through your searches, did you find anyone selling the 03 longblocks? Ultimately if I go 03 motor I would like to end up with the Kenne Bell, but figured getting the complete motor would ease logistical problems than trying to locate all the accessories.
I currently run a 331 w/ Paxton Novi 2000 blower making 528rwhp/502 rwtq @ 11 psi and would like to get similar numbers (or closer to 600) but gain the reliability & 'streetability' of the modular motor.

Anyway, I did find 'used' 03 long blocks in Canada for $4225 http://www.wmsracing.com/pgi-ProductSpec?FRD-46C3

I just need to figure our what all the nickel & dime expenses are over buying the complete motor & attempting to sell the components I would not need (Eaton, Clutch, etc.) Now if they only sold a complete motor minus the Eaton :banggears

·
Registered
459 Posts
One of thsoe sites I thought had the long block. You could also try www.bishopengine.com. I thought I saw the iron block somewhere for $400, the heads and cam can come off of any new Aviator or Mach 1. Rotating assembly you could get from DSS. Intercooler you'll probably have to go to Ford as well as the 03' Cobra fuel system. Hope that helps. Sounds like a fun project, especially if you have the time!

Jerry

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Jerry said:
Everett, your welcome.

3snakes1coupe: Your going to need a wiring schematic for an 03' and a 94' and start splicing! Seriously I don't know the right way to do it, but its probably close.

So you want an 03 Cobra engine.. why, it makes great power. That is due to a better head design and cams than the 99' and 01', plus forged components, plus integrated intercooler. It also seems to do better than any other returnless cobra from a fuel perspective due to the dual pumps. If it were me I'd get an 03 longblock (less Eaton)for the heads, add an intercooler from the Cobra and a KB and yes get a standalone engine mgmt unit IF it could control the returnless and dual pumps. If not, then I'd still do standalone and a return style system w/ standard (nor variable voltage) fuel pumps like in your 94. That's my .02.

Jerry
i agree on the 03 cobra being better than the 99's and 01's to an extent..we are still quite a bit lighter...we get to choose our own induction...and we can get a built long block for cheaper than your stock long block.....im not knocking the 03 by any chance....to me i just feel better with the prior ones.....03's are prepackaged fast cars....where ours gives us a lil more choices for mods....oh yeah and what do the pumps have to do with the engines...hes in a fox body..without returnless....besides..i cannot afford a new cobra

·
Registered
459 Posts
CobraVert99 said:
i agree on the 03 cobra being better than the 99's and 01's to an extent..we are still quite a bit lighter...we get to choose our own induction...and we can get a built long block for cheaper than your stock long block.....im not knocking the 03 by any chance....to me i just feel better with the prior ones.....03's are prepackaged fast cars....where ours gives us a lil more choices for mods....oh yeah and what do the pumps have to do with the engines...hes in a fox body..without returnless....besides..i cannot afford a new cobra
Cheaper long blocks (not counting a supercharger as part of a long block) I dunno if you can get one cheaper for similar parts (forged rods and pistons). The newer long blocks are probably slightly more expensive only because they have not been out as long and the head and cams are better (stock vs stock). 96-01 are cheaper to mod for sure and there are a few cool intakes and cams to use that allow you to make 8000rpm NA monsters. I mentioned returnless and dual pumps only because he was talking about what would be easier and what if he used the 03' computer. Its obvious the 03's are way easier to add fuel to (when you add power) than 99 or 01 Cobras, period. IF he was going to use an EEC-V computer from an 03' I felt it important than to add the whole fuel system because the darn thing works.. my brother has a 99' w/ a Novi 2000 and on its 3rd short block and the returnless fuel system for him has been a delicate mess. If it is still that hard to tune a returnless system the cost of swapping in an 03' fuel system w/ dual pumps is probably well worth it. Just my .02. I'm not hating on any earlier Cobras, just trying to pick MY way through his dilemma.. there are 100 ways to cut it. Peace!

Jerry

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Jerry said:
Cheaper long blocks (not counting a supercharger as part of a long block) I dunno if you can get one cheaper for similar parts (forged rods and pistons). The newer long blocks are probably slightly more expensive only because they have not been out as long and the head and cams are better (stock vs stock). 96-01 are cheaper to mod for sure and there are a few cool intakes and cams to use that allow you to make 8000rpm NA monsters. I mentioned returnless and dual pumps only because he was talking about what would be easier and what if he used the 03' computer. Its obvious the 03's are way easier to add fuel to (when you add power) than 99 or 01 Cobras, period. IF he was going to use an EEC-V computer from an 03' I felt it important than to add the whole fuel system because the darn thing works.. my brother has a 99' w/ a Novi 2000 and on its 3rd short block and the returnless fuel system for him has been a delicate mess. If it is still that hard to tune a returnless system the cost of swapping in an 03' fuel system w/ dual pumps is probably well worth it. Just my .02. I'm not hating on any earlier Cobras, just trying to pick MY way through his dilemma.. there are 100 ways to cut it. Peace!

Jerry
well obviously the first performance mod for an 99 or 01 cobra is ditch the returnless....since hes in a fox...i would stay with its return style fuel system and just adapt it....there are already a few guys on here that have done it......personally i think the 03 cobra is the worlds best bolt on car....period......as i said...its prepackaged...but for the true drag racers......they are prob only going to use the short block...either port or replace the heads with frpp ones....lower intake only used if the decide to swap for the kb supercharger.....and well the stock eaton will dissapear...i am just comparing that i can take my 99 and make it a 5.3 with frpp heads, cams and intake...and make more than the 03's stock 390, 390 ...all motor.... for cheaper than buyin a full 03 motor..and then you would need its mass air setup and its fuel pump.....i think for the all out drag racers..the 03 cobra block would be ditched in favor of the lighter 96-01 blocks....or hell you can buy a used navi motor for 3800.....besides..im a turbo fan....and well buyin an 03 makes that harder than with my 99.. i just think the 96-01 motors are better for an all out performance standpoint......whereas the 03's are out to prove how far fords stock motors can go..either way hell be happy...i just like to be able to pick my poison...as for your brother's 99.....were those stock short blocks??? was he gettin a bad tune....what was the deal ...cause 3 short blocks...on a 4 year old car...is crazy unless he cant stay off the drag strip...

·
Registered
459 Posts
I hear ya.. all good points! My brothers 99: The first was the factory w/ hypercraptic pistons, #2 was a forged longblock that got 20K miles and lost #8, #3 had 100 miles on it maybe and the tuner melted #8 on the dyno. So actually I guess its #4 that is going in now.. very littel drag strip time (maybe 12 passes total since the car was new). Part of it is finding a reliable mod engine builder, the other is finding a returnless system setup that works, and the final point is finding a tuner that knows what detonation sounds like and fixes it rather than continuing to hammer on the car..

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Jerry said:
I hear ya.. all good points! My brothers 99: The first was the factory w/ hypercraptic pistons, #2 was a forged longblock that got 20K miles and lost #8, #3 had 100 miles on it maybe and the tuner melted #8 on the dyno. So actually I guess its #4 that is going in now.. very littel drag strip time (maybe 12 passes total since the car was new). Part of it is finding a reliable mod engine builder, the other is finding a returnless system setup that works, and the final point is finding a tuner that knows what detonation sounds like and fixes it rather than continuing to hammer on the car..
lost #8 twice...maybe he should...look into that..its prob because of a very lean tune ....i think # 8 is one of the longest from trottle body to piston......and he was going lean on that one...or maybe his injector has seen better days....also what kind of boost was he running?? i mean...i know of guys that got over 50k supercharged miles on a stock block.....somethings not adding up....tuners need to start being more safe and stop trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of it....i mean cmon...its a daily driver car....as for finding a reliable mod engine builder......do it yourself......and for the returnless guys with 99's we usually swap in bigger injectors and a 03 cobra pump......but.....i still say go return style..aeromotive makes kits to support all horsepower levels....and as for the tuners ...get a decent "safe" tune..and get a mafterburner and do it yourself.......i hoe hes gettignt hat tuner to buy him a new motor....best of luck
Corey

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jerry & CobraVert99 ....Thanks for your concerns!

Jerry,
I believe I have secured one of those motors from Classic Design Concepts. Thanks again to the info. Turns out they took that webpage down Monday Afternoon, I called Tuesday and they had over 20 calls but only 1 of the 3 motors were spoken for. Turns out they were going to use them in SEMA build cars but the project fell through. They actually paid 10.5K for these motors & just wanted to unload them. I have my name on one, and ofcourse they wouldn't take credit card, so I mailed them a check. As long as it arrives tomorrow (Had to ship to a PO Box, Next day) I'm set!! :blob When I spoke to the gentleman today to forward the tracking number, they had over 100 calls. I better get that motor!

CobraVert99:
Like I mentioned, this is going into a Fox body. I had the stroker & blown 331, now I want to go modular. Hell, I have a completely built billet 331 short block just finished. Dart block, Carrillo rods,...etc. More $$ than that complete 03 motor cost, & I was going turbo on that billet motor, but my GF just bought an 03 cobra vert. and after I drove it the car was awesome. I mean fun!! I had a scope change, because I never had that much fun since my car was stock!! I just want to enjoy the car, keep PS, PB, AC and still run quick, yet be able to drive to the track (no trailering). 1200hp is cool, but lets face it, a G-force tranny & 1200 hp is NOT streetable. I'm so excited to due this swap! Check out this site
http://www.modularfox.com/pk/index.htm

Thats the 03 motor in a fox. Thats kickin' that b*tch up to 'Hell Yeah' status!!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
well everett.....seems u know what u want...as i said everyone has there own particular taste...i would rather have a twin turbo modular...and thats just me....turbos are very streetable...and arent as power limited as the eaton design is....eatons heat the intake charge terribly..and the centrifugal supercharged modulars are very streetable...... in fact the modular is just a very streetable motor......so u cant go wrong with any of them as streetability is concerned....the reason i would say not get an 03 cobra is because..as people mod them..they take off the things that distinguish them from their older brethren..the eaton for example......for the kb.....or swapping for a centrifigual altogether.....but....as long as u are happy thats all that matters..if we were all the same..then life would be boring....and the aftermarket would suck...hope to see ya at the track....but you are going to have to run my all motor 429 powered 71 mach one :).....cause my convertible cobra only sees daily driver duty...cause she is STOCK :) ...good luck
Corey

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's cool you got the motor.
I was a little skeptical about the deal.
I was told the following:
-3 motors total
-included computer and everything else, photo showed more then just a crate motor because it had coolant hoses and PS bottle already attached plus a computer was included
-2 motors built in Dec 2002, $7500, no credit card accepted
-1 motor built in Dec 2001, $7000, would accept credit card, owned by a different company
-motors were used by Ford for mock up

The non-credit card on 2 motors and the mock up idea didn't sound logical. If I had heard the story you got about a SEMA project, then I would of believed the motors were 100% new not dyno motors. First thing, remove the manifolds and check the exhaust ports.

I've run into a about a half dozen motors, ranging from used, broken, dynoed, test, new 100% from factory and now mock up.

I didn't want the whole motor, I just wanted a extra longblock ready to go if something takes a dump. I would feel safer runner higher boost if I have a spare long block in the garage. I could swap out over a weekend and be back on the road. Putting a new motor together just takes forever getting the parts, balancing, and other headaches associated with trying to do it unscheduled.

Wish you the best on the project.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Highmiles,
I understand their situation on the Credit card. They are already offering the motor 3k under what they paid, and need to move them ASAP or they continue to count against inventory. That means more lost $$ for them. About the CC, they loss a certain percentage to the CC company (depending how much your CC company charges) for that transaction, so I agree with them on that. I often try to deal 'cash' because you often save a fare dime.

I spoke with John when I called CDC racing, and he confirmed these motors have not been run, but have been on engine stands. I believe they are very fair guys & wouldn't offer misleading information. They are a reputable company.

Jerry,
Once again, thanks for the insider tip! This would not have been possible without your help & I greatly appreciate it! I checked my tracking number this morning and payment is enroute! :king

I'll keep everyone posted on the final outcome! Shouldb know by later this afternoon!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jerry said:
Jerry,

I got it!! It's all palleted up and we are trying to work out shipping. Hopefully I will see it in the next week or two. I'll take pics & document this swap the best I can. It's not simple by any means, but should be a blast!! The guys at CDC Racing are really into my swap & offered their help & ability to get any stock components I would need. (ex. Hydroboost, lines, etc!)

I will keep the board posted as 03 Fox comes to life

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts