Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'03 Cobra rear control-arms and/or bushings???

I'm looking to purchase either the '03 Cobra rear lower control arm bushings, or possibly the entire arms if the price is reasonable.

Anyone have part numbers or a good source for either the bushings or the arms? Is the bushing even available seperate from the arm??? My local Ford dealer says "NO", but they have been wrong 60%of the time.... :rolleyes:

PS: Polyurethane control arm bushings would be nice as well, but I can't seem to find a source for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Griggs makes Delrin lower control arm bushings. They are a bit pricey as I recall (~$400 for a set)

Don't have the link, but the online Ford parts place that had the 03 shocks and springs, blower, etc., also had the rear control arms. Hopefully someone can post the link.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,357 Posts
The only real replacement that I know about for the LCA on the rear are the Griggs Delrin which are 379.00. I don't consider anything made by KB an option. They are substantially harder then poly and will increase NVH some. Have you already replaced your differential pinion bushings and IRS assembly bushings they will have a more dramatic change to your suspension the LCA bushings.

Here is a link to Griggs site.
Griggs Racing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
toofast4u said:
Have you already replaced your differential pinion bushings and IRS assembly bushings they will have a more dramatic change to your suspension the LCA bushings.

Here is a link to Griggs site.
Griggs Racing
Yup, replaced both of those with MM/Steeda polyurethane parts.

Thanks for the Griggs suggestions, but Delrin is a little too much for me - which is why I'm looking for the '03 bushings, they're harder than the soft '99/'01 bushings, but not as hard as Delrin. Polyurethane would be ideal, but can't find any sources.... :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,357 Posts
Steve Snake Dri said:
Here's the link to the parts online place that has the A arms listed:
Ford Parts Network

Bit pricey at $341 each.
No way. I would do the Delrin first. Yes they are extremely stiff, but remember everything still needs to go through the poly assembly bushings before it is reaching the chassis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ttt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Ford Racing came out with some this year: part# M-5649-G9 fits '99-'03, msrp $370

"fully streetable, bolt-on design......rear bushing has grease fitting for lubrication, Teflon-lined front spherical bushing requires no lubrication"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JB said:
Ford Racing came out with some this year: part# M-5649-G9 fits '99-'03, msrp $370

"fully streetable, bolt-on design......rear bushing has grease fitting for lubrication, Teflon-lined front spherical bushing requires no lubrication"
Got a link to anyone selling those arms???
I can't find them ANYWHERE... :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JB said:
Ford Racing came out with some this year: part# M-5649-G9 fits '99-'03, msrp $370

"fully streetable, bolt-on design......rear bushing has grease fitting for lubrication, Teflon-lined front spherical bushing requires no lubrication"
Found them in my FRPP catalog.
Unfortunately, they are for the solid axle, not IRS.
Thanks anyways!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
sorry about that!

they were on a new parts flyer I received and I don't think they specified that they weren't available for Cobras but I shoud have known better....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
03 Cobra rear control arms

You might try Kenny Brown (317-247-5320). He makes rear control arms for the Cobra. His bushings might fit the stock arms.

AMB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,357 Posts
toofast4u said:
I don't consider anything made by KB an option.
I just want to reiterate what I said earlier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
o3 rear bushings

if you wre getting wheel hop, steeda makes a bushing kit for the 2003 cobra and you should get the QA1 adjustable shocks and set them at level 4 i haven't had any problems since i changed and it launches better. you can order them through downs ford in new jersey or downsford.com

ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,357 Posts
Re: o3 rear bushings

cobraken03 said:
if you wre getting wheel hop, steeda makes a bushing kit for the 2003 cobra and you should get the QA1 adjustable shocks and set them at level 4 i haven't had any problems since i changed and it launches better. you can order them through downs ford in new jersey or downsford.com

ken
If we are talking about eliminating wheel hop the MM IRS bushings will yield much greater results. SHM is also making aluminum bushings which should provide even greater control. The Steeda IRS pinion bushings do decrease wheel hop also, but are not as dramatically different as the IRS assembly bushings. I have them both an more on my car and have no wheel hop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
ride quality

have you done any other suspension work to your car like springs and if so how hard was it and did you loose any ride quality. what type of shocks are you using? i also want to keep the car for mostly handling but still enjoy it at the track once in a while
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,357 Posts
Re: ride quality

cobraken03 said:
have you done any other suspension work to your car like springs and if so how hard was it and did you loose any ride quality. what type of shocks are you using? i also want to keep the car for mostly handling but still enjoy it at the track once in a while
I have everything that Maximum Motorsports has for suspension on the 03 Cobra except for the k-member itself. I am planning on going with Griggs K-member soon just have other priorities first. My coil-overs are bilstein MM race-spec struts with 425 springs in the front and bilstein 00R spec shocks with 650 springs in the rear. My car handles and feels awesome for lack of a better word. It has a ride quality no worse then my friends 2003 Z-06 and moms 2002 BMW 3-series. The handling is massively improved over a stock 03 I now have absolutely no understeer and the car handles completely neutral unless power oversteer is desired.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top