Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On FRPP's online store it looks like they have a new spark plug for the 08 and newer motors. Does this mean we can use spark plugs that don't cost $10 a pop? More importantly, can the new heads be retrofitted to 05-07 motors? Whipple also seems to advertise another 50hp for the 08-08 models. Did anything change in the head design or is this due to being able to use better spark plugs? I know this has been discussed before but my search didn't produce anything relevant. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
The only thing that changed is the plug design, and they still don't take a regular spark plug but instead of having the long smooth portion on the plugs that the '05 plugs have, they are threaded all the way down. The redesign was mainly to prevent the plugs from getting stuck in the heads. You can still expect to pay $10/plug for a while for the '08+ heads.

Yes they can be bolted on earlier 3v motors, you just have to change the COPs.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, at least people can change their own spark plugs now without fear (or greatly reduced) of snapping them off in the heads. To be honest, if my plugs have to be changed, I'm letting the dealership play that game.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
It's not hard just take your time and if the dealer tech doesn't take his time doing it, it is you that foots the bill for the extra time and labor (and possibly parts) to fix it. Ford knows of the problem, but if they break you are the one that gets to pay for the repair regardless of who is doing the work.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats jacked up. What a screwy policy. I can do it but I do seem to have a tendacy to snap things on this car for whatever reaso,n esp with torque wrenches in hand. But I've seen the procedure for removing the spark plugs and it doesnt seem too hard to follow. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Do the new heads make more power?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do the new heads make more power?
Thats what I want to know? I know the 08-09 Whipple S/C kits are specific to those years and they are rated at 550hp at the crank. All the newer S/Cs have the revised rotors that came out last year.

·
Registered
507 Posts
At regular levels the heads should be the same in terms of performance. I know the big power guys like JPC have had problems with the goofy spark plugs from the '05-'07 heads. But up to the 800-900 hp levels, it shouldn't matter which plug is in there. The '08 plugs are nicer and more traditional. As far as I know, Brisk is the only company making aftermarket plugs with colder heat ranges.

As for the Whipple, maybe Jared from Lethal would know better but I think the inlet is redesigned for emissions purposes and could contribute to the better output. Also, not sure which kit you are looking at but there are now Gen II rotors in the Whipple blowers and they are said to be more efficient, meaning more boost at the same blower speeds. I believe Ford Racing adjusted the pulleys on their offerings to adjust the output slightly. I think Ford Racing now rates the Whipple H.O. kits at 550hp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts