Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not asking anyone to believe this. I don’t believe it too much myself. This is a little long because I have a serious problem with my chip. I called and nobody answers at JDM. Mark and I will be in Richmond at FFW and I hope to be able to talk to Jim while we are there.

I installed a four pound lower and Accufab TB about 3 weeks ago. When I dynoed the A/F was 13.1 most of the revs and pretty flat. I sent the chip back to JDM to get it richened a little. From what I’ve been told, the A/F sensor on the Dynojet that’s sticks in the tailpipe may be off .5 to .75 points. I got the chip in Wednesday afternoon. I disconnected the battery and put in the chip. Mark and I were going to Farmington Dragway Thursday night so I let the car sit and I cleaned it up and got it loaded for the track. I connected the battery in the morning and drove to work. I didn’t push it too hard but it felt pretty good. I took off at noon and headed for the dyno. I have to go over some small county highways so I decided to see how my boost was holding. I made my own idler system and I bead blasted my upper pulley. The car nailed 18 psi and it started falling off a little then all of a sudden I am almost thrown through the windshield. I wasn’t watching the tach and figured I hit the dump valve. It was violent. I’ve hit the dump valve at the track and it shuts down smoothly. I thought something wasn’t right. I drove on to the dyno and we put it up on the lift. This dyno is above ground. We put a fan right under the oil pan and one just over the top of the engine blowing horizontally. It sat for an hour and was stone cold. Start it up and make the first run. I watch my boost and it hits 18 psi and the car feels like it is winding up a little better than my previous best and all of a sudden around 5000 rpm the engine shuts off and then comes back. I’m thinking now something is definitely going wrong and I think it’s the dump valve. I made 482 rwhp when it shut off. It may have made a little more power if it hadn’t quit. I get out and pull the electrical connector off the dump valve and we redyno immediately. The car pulls through the dyno fine but I was disappointed in the numbers, 479/523 SAE with A/F dipping into the high 12’s at 5000 rpm and going to 12.5 at redline. I have the Flipchip and the first two passes were on the strip program. We dyno the street program and the engine runs fine with about the same numbers as the last pass but with a 13:1 A/F.

Mark meets me at the dyno and we head to Farmington. Farmington is said to be the fastest track around. When we get there we look at the track and it has rubber laid down like one I've seen. They are spraying VHT on it. A guy just ran a 4.07 last Saturday and people are saying it’s unreal. It even looks scary. I told Mark this is a halfshaft breaker. I iced my heads and blower and let the car sit for about 2.5 hours while we watch. One of my tires has a small leak that the tire shop said could be patched. I run 26x10.5x16 ET Streets with skinnies on the front. Mark’s little compressor is pretty weak and I pumped it up to match the other at 9 psi. At around 8:30 I go to get in my car and the tires are low. I mean they are scruntched up. As I pull into the staging lane it feels like the rear is on marbles. It worried me a little. I figured they would be fine and I lined up and did a hell of a burnout. When I pull to the line the smoke wraps around my car. I was the only one running so I tripped the second yellow but they wouldn’t let the tree go. I was sitting there at 5000 rpm and I’m getting mad. He finally let me go and it came out of the hole like it never has before. My previous 60 ft was 1.595. When I get to the end of first or was going into second the car shut off violently and I was thrown against the belts. The engine dies. I coasted down and it wouldn’t start. I stopped and figured I was going to have to be towed off the track. It finally started. I gave it some throttle and it pulled fine. I figured it was the dump valve. I had reconnected it before I left the dyno so I was going to pull the connector and make another pass. I decided to get my time slip so I could at least see my 60 ft. I’m not saying this is my true 60 ft. When I got my time slip I couldn’t believe it. It said I made a 1.159 60 foot. Please don’t flame me. I don’t believe it. I go around for a second pass and I pull off the dump valve electrical connector. Mark stops me as I pull up to the water box and says I need to back out because my tires are low. I figured they couldn't have dropped much in a couple of minutes. I was bottoming out quite a bit though on bumps. I knew I was being stupid. I pull out of the water box and the burnout this time sucks. I barely put any heat in the tires. I decide to launch at 2500 rpm and slip it quite a bit. It comes out pretty good but I am sideways and all over the track. I slam second and the car is still getting sideways and burning the tires like mad. I get close to the center and I let out a little but I am able to hold it and make it through the line. I run my 60 ft best ever at 1.593 with a 2500 rpm launch slipping the clutch. The pass was 7.54 at 94.7. Not good but considering all the spinning and sliding I was pretty impressed. People come up and all they want to talk about was the first pass. All I know is that I run a 40 second 1/8 mile and people are saying I have one bad as mofo. People were coming up asking what the hell happened and they couldn’t believe how I came off the line. One guy said I probably tripped the 60 ft. marker with one tire because the car was so twisted. I doubt it but I have no explanation. I’m not asking anyone to believe it. I’m only telling you what the time slip says.

I let ice the car and let it sit until 9:45. I pull up and this time I didn’t even get off the line 20 feet and the car shuts off. I am really frustrated. It got so bad on the way home I could mash on it and the car would die. I had been monkeying around with the dump valve and found a line that wasn’t pushed all the way in. I pushed it in and the car ran better although I didn’t give it extended WOT runs. I got up this morning and did the boost by pass mod by teeing it to the fuel pressure sensor vacuum line. I take a back way to work so I can rip it a little. At second gear I go to WOT. The car is all over the road and running like I’ve never seen it. At around 5000 rpm it shuts off violently again. I coast down and it fires back up.

Anybody have any ideas? Can this be the chip? I think it would have to be since it ran fine before. Hopefully I can get with JDM tomorrow.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I had a flip chip and apparently the long wires leading to the dip switch pack found some interferance and caused a very similar problem.. half the time the car would stall out, other times it would throw me against the belts and then start hammering again.. you may want to try a chip w/o the flip option.. just a thought.

As for the 60', the clocks can malfunction, I personally don't believe it but I'm not slamming you, I just think the clocks freaked out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does it in both programs. maybe Jim will have some single program chips and we can swap it out. I really don't need a dual program although I thought about spraying a 40 shot and then I may need the second.

·
Registered
186 Posts
When we use to shoot the dope through the MAF the car would do the same thing you talking about. A little bit was ok alot was shity. Hope this helps. I also had a car with a KB on it the other day that did the same crap. MAF related also.
Hope this helps.
Rich

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pro, that ws exactly what I was thinking...

Snake, the last time I saw you in person the MAF had a tiny little piece of rubber on it and the car was running badly...is it possible that the MAF is dirty again and needs to be cleaned? Your current probs sound a little like what you had in the past...

Awesome 60 foot time. I would preach it like it was gospel anyway...you've got the slip to back it up! ;-)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Flipchip was the problem.

I almost hate to pull this chip out if JDM reprograms me another Flipchip. My problem is I have a bottle now. I need to find out if I need to have it reprogrammed for a 30-40 shot of spray. I wished I could leave the chip alone. I'm going to try some different things on the dyno and see if I can fatten it up.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Silver03Snake said:
The Flipchip was the problem.

I almost hate to pull this chip out if JDM reprograms me another Flipchip. My problem is I have a bottle now. I need to find out if I need to have it reprogrammed for a 30-40 shot of spray. I wished I could leave the chip alone. I'm going to try some different things on the dyno and see if I can fatten it up.
If your trying to fatten it up to run the juice consider this......

Timing is more of a killer when running on the bottle than being a few points leaner. Nitrous programs typically pull up to 5* of timing out of the program..........along with fattening it up a tad ;)

--Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts