Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is finally out of the garage in over two years and this was the first outing at the track in 12 years.
3.4 whipple @ 22psi, on Pump 85, dyno'd 720 in August. SRA swap no cooling mods yet, 28X1050 MT stiff walls.

Track rental at emeral coast drag way.

Two back to back passes.
1.50 60 foot 6.37 @113.70
1.42 60 foot 6.35 @113.20

Learned a lot that day, ARB is going in, along with cleaning up my shifts.

·
Administrator
9,338 Posts
If the car is or primarily is a race car the ARB will be a welcome addition. If it is or primarily is a street car, not so much.

You are at one of those invisible forks in the road where you need to answer the unspoken, but very real, question,"Am I building a race car or a fun to own and drive street car?"

If the answer is race car, then go for it! If the answer is street car, then think about what makes an enjoyable to drive street car and build for that. Hybrid, dual purpose vehicles are only good for one thing and that is doing nothing right because their intended operation is continually compromised by mods for the unintended usage or if you will infrequent usage.

These dual purpose cars either entirely morph into one of the two target cars (at a higher expense than had you original built for that use) or more frequently get lost in the modification maze and then show up in an ad in the classified sections of these websites with wording something like;

XXXX(year) Mustang, best of XXXX, XXX color, XXX this and XXX that. XXX of XXX built. Best ET XXX, XXX 60 ft time, $XXXX firm. Only interested buyers please.

The car is typically sold for pennies on the dollar of what the original owner put in. A friend sold his twin turbo '04 Cobra a few years ago that he built to compete in KOTS (King of the Street). He had documented modifications and receipts for over $100K he had put into the car. The car was pristine in every way but it had burned him out and he wanted out! He eventually parted out the turbo conversion for $2,500 or so and restored the car to a very clean stock Eaton setup. After two years of attempting to sell the car he finally found a new home for it.

He ended up selling the car for ~$14,000 and bought a Z07 Corvette that he maintained he would never make the same mistakes with. He is 3 or 4 years into the ownership of the Z07 and has spent a little over $15,000 above purchase price on mods for the Corvette. I reminded him of his commitment and his response was, why do you want to make me feel bad?

Think about what you want to achieve with your modding. If it is a race car then go for it and don't make any compromises. If it is a street car go for it and make sure you do not allow race car mods to sneak into your build.

Although this has been said millions times, you simply can not have both — at least in one car.

If you have two itches and you need to scratch both itches then you need two cars — one for each itch. :)

Ed

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
!00 % agree, this is a track set up car that goes to cars n coffee. It will get and stay around mid 9's and I will leave it there as I've been down that road of continueing to add power etc. I want to have a fun mid 9 sec stick car that I can go have fun with. I have a cruiser car for the longer cruises( 1932 Ford highboy roadster)
I appreciate the input, it's a rabbit hole easily to fall into, that's I've fallen in before )))

1 - 3 of 3 Posts