Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who sells the Replica 10.5 in wheels and how are they??


jim v.
 

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANK YOU :)

jim v.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Jim
if you want the AFS wheels...check out e-bay. AFS sells their wheel sets with no reserve. I have seen their 17x9 front with 17x10.5 rear sets...in chrome....go for $800-$1000. They also have an 18x9 with 18x10.5 rear set that sells for just a little more than the 17's. Their wheel sets always sell for less on e-bay than you can order them direct for.

Well forget that idea. I just went to get you a link and it looks like AFS bailed out of e-bay. At any given time you used to be able to look at 5 or 6 pages of AFS wheels on there. I watched several sets because I was considering going that route before I went with the SVT chrome wheel option.

Keep any eye on e-bay....maybe they will be back.

Sorry...thought I could help.:(
 

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
trmn8r said:
Jim
if you want the AFS wheels...check out e-bay. AFS sells their wheel sets with no reserve. I have seen their 17x9 front with 17x10.5 rear sets...in chrome....go for $800-$1000. They also have an 18x9 with 18x10.5 rear set that sells for just a little more than the 17's. Their wheel sets always sell for less on e-bay than you can order them direct for.

Well forget that idea. I just went to get you a link and it looks like AFS bailed out of e-bay. At any given time you used to be able to look at 5 or 6 pages of AFS wheels on there. I watched several sets because I was considering going that route before I went with the SVT chrome wheel option.

Keep any eye on e-bay....maybe they will be back.

Sorry...thought I could help.:(
Thank's for the help. I am undecided weather or not to go with larger 17in wheels or 18 in wheels altogether..

jim v.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
Thank's for the help. I am undecided weather or not to go with larger 17in wheels or 18 in wheels altogether..

jim v.
I had the 18" '00R Cobra setup on my car. I was running 275/35 & 295/35 Michelin Pilot Sports on the street and Pirelli 285/30 for autocross events. Overall I found the car handled better with the 17" setup on both the street and autocross. I did not get a chance to run the 18" setup in some open road events where normally they will shine but in a couple of road trips through the hill country the car still responded better with the 17" setup. With the 18" setup I could never get good traction for those spirited street runs. In fact there was no way that I was going to try them at the drag strip.

I went back to the 17" setup and purchased the AFS 17x10.5" wheels for the rear. I am running 315/35/17 AVS Sports on the rear (285/40 fronts) currently and absolutely love this setup. The wheel itself is of very high quality and looks better than the stock fronts. I say this because the gray paint looks "deeper" than the Ford paint. The wheels fit great and you will have interference with the IRS mounting bolts (with 315/35 tires, Nittos are okay)if the car is on the rack or in the air. I have yet to have any rubbing issues in autocross, street, open road, or drag strip events. I know some guys run spacers but they are not needed unless you like to get your car airborne. I did install the button head bolt last week as an added measure of safety when the car is on the rack which is quite often these days. ;)

Pictures can be found here-Link to '03 Pics

Cliff Notes- Buy the 17x10.5 wheels as they work and look great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Bingo13,
10.5's look great, man, as does your car. I almost ordered white, but reverted back to my standard color, silver, at the last minute. Your car looks awesome.
Fred
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Bingo13 said:
I had the 18" '00R Cobra setup on my car. I was running 275/35 & 295/35 Michelin Pilot Sports on the street and Pirelli 285/30 for autocross events. Overall I found the car handled better with the 17" setup on both the street and autocross. I did not get a chance to run the 18" setup in some open road events where normally they will shine but in a couple of road trips through the hill country the car still responded better with the 17" setup. With the 18" setup I could never get good traction for those spirited street runs. In fact there was no way that I was going to try them at the drag strip.

I went back to the 17" setup and purchased the AFS 17x10.5" wheels for the rear. I am running 315/35/17 AVS Sports on the rear (285/40 fronts) currently and absolutely love this setup. The wheel itself is of very high quality and looks better than the stock fronts. I say this because the gray paint looks "deeper" than the Ford paint. The wheels fit great and you will have interference with the IRS mounting bolts (with 315/35 tires, Nittos are okay)if the car is on the rack or in the air. I have yet to have any rubbing issues in autocross, street, open road, or drag strip events. I know some guys run spacers but they are not needed unless you like to get your car airborne. I did install the button head bolt last week as an added measure of safety when the car is on the rack which is quite often these days. ;)

Pictures can be found here-Link to '03 Pics

Cliff Notes- Buy the 17x10.5 wheels as they work and look great.
This is great info - it confirms my "hypothetical" posted to someone else on another thread. Messing with stock tires/wheels can have a big effect on handling, and without specialty knwoeldge and equipment, it is almost impossible for us "streeters" to get it right. Changing wheel diameter and width changes the physics of the wheel's movement, which may require quite different suspension geometry and settings. Polar moment of inertia, unsprung weight, etc all change.

When you went to 18's, did you use the stock alignmnet settings, or did you go with the Cobra "R" settings, which came from the factory with 18's?

Jim may be looking for best drag racing traction, but I have found that needs of draggers and trackers are often quite different, and the solutions as well. One does not see autocrossers going to "skinnies" up front for example, or 16's with more sidewall flex either.

Apples and oranges, oil and water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Cobra'03 said:


When you went to 18's, did you use the stock alignmnet settings, or did you go with the Cobra "R" settings, which came from the factory with 18's?
I had the '00R Cobra Springs, struts, and shocks with the 18" setup. The suspension geometery was a little different than the '00R setup. The tire setup I was using was different as I wanted a little more tire section than the 265/40/18s on the "R"s. I have been in an "R" a couple of times and my car just did not have the same response on the road. Of course there is also a weight difference between the two cars along with some other component changes.

I went back to an aggressive 17" setup with coil-overs and a whole host of other upgrades. The car is very neutral and at least on the road I think it would hold its own with an "R" now. I will see how it does on the open road course shortly. I would love to try an 18" setup with this suspension but would rather save for the Kenne Bell unit. ;)

You are right, sometimes it is better to trust the engineers than the magazines. Ford really did a very good job on this car. I finally went a route that I think improved upon it this time. Do not get me wrong as the 18" setup was very good but it did not make sense with the type of power I wanted to put down on the street also. I could easily break the tires loose at 50 mph with a very good 18" setup, now it just digs into the pavement as goes. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Bingo13 said:
I had the 18" '00R Cobra setup on my car. I was running 275/35 & 295/35 Michelin Pilot Sports on the street and Pirelli 285/30 for autocross events. Overall I found the car handled better with the 17" setup on both the street and autocross. I did not get a chance to run the 18" setup in some open road events where normally they will shine but in a couple of road trips through the hill country the car still responded better with the 17" setup. With the 18" setup I could never get good traction for those spirited street runs. In fact there was no way that I was going to try them at the drag strip.

I went back to the 17" setup and purchased the AFS 17x10.5" wheels for the rear. I am running 315/35/17 AVS Sports on the rear (285/40 fronts) currently and absolutely love this setup. The wheel itself is of very high quality and looks better than the stock fronts. I say this because the gray paint looks "deeper" than the Ford paint. The wheels fit great and you will have interference with the IRS mounting bolts (with 315/35 tires, Nittos are okay)if the car is on the rack or in the air. I have yet to have any rubbing issues in autocross, street, open road, or drag strip events. I know some guys run spacers but they are not needed unless you like to get your car airborne. I did install the button head bolt last week as an added measure of safety when the car is on the rack which is quite often these days. ;)

Pictures can be found here-Link to '03 Pics

Cliff Notes- Buy the 17x10.5 wheels as they work and look great.
All I need to do to get the 315's to fit in the rear is change the IRS mounting bolts? Because AFS says 315's will not fit the 03's because of the clearance issues. But we all know anything can be made to fit. Just want to be sure it is that simple. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
kccamp 03' said:
All I need to do to get the 315's to fit in the rear is change the IRS mounting bolts? Because AFS says 315's will not fit the 03's because of the clearance issues. But we all know anything can be made to fit. Just want to be sure it is that simple. :cool:
You do not need to even change the IRS mounting bolts. These bolts will rub the upper part of the tire if you have the car on a lift or if you go airborne in the vehicle. I installed the button head bolt due to rubbing of the tires when the car is on the lift. If my car is airborne then I have other things to worry about besides the bolt. ;) AFS is still considering a new 17X10.5" wheel with specific IRS backspacing. I would say you would be okay with the setup for all 315 tires except the BFG drag radials. The Nitto 315 drag radials are actually a very narrow tire and work fine without the bolt change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,357 Posts
kccamp 03' said:
All I need to do to get the 315's to fit in the rear is change the IRS mounting bolts? Because AFS says 315's will not fit the 03's because of the clearance issues. But we all know anything can be made to fit. Just want to be sure it is that simple. :cool:
I have Nitto 555R 315/35R17 on my rear on stock rims with no problems. If you want to go with the larger 315 tires like Michelin and BFG you need to go with the 10.5" rim, a 1/4" spacer, and button head bolt. I believe AFS now either sells or gives the bolt away free now if you ask for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
toofast4u said:
I have Nitto 555R 315/35R17 on my rear on stock rims with no problems. If you want to go with the larger 315 tires like Michelin and BFG you need to go with the 10.5" rim, a 1/4" spacer, and button head bolt. I believe AFS now either sells or gives the bolt away free now if you ask for it.
I still do not see any need for spacers. I am running 315/35 Yoko AVS Sports in the rear without the spacer. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
For those interested. AFS chrome wheels are of mediocre quality. The polish job under the chrome is weak. They look good from a distance and are perfect for a daily driver. Very inexpensive as well. You do get what you pay for. They are simply not show quality wheels. The chrome is very poor inside the wheel and in the bolt holes. If the wheel is subjected to any road salt the chrome on the inside will bubble. The outside is decent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Violator said:
For those interested. AFS chrome wheels are of mediocre quality. The polish job under the chrome is weak. They look good from a distance and are perfect for a daily driver. Very inexpensive as well. You do get what you pay for. They are simply not show quality wheels. The chrome is very poor inside the wheel and in the bolt holes. If the wheel is subjected to any road salt the chrome on the inside will bubble. The outside is decent.
I`ve had 18"x9",&10.5" chrome afs wheels for over a year, they still look great,they are heavy but for $900. to my door (ebay) Im happy with em :D , my tires cost more than that and will soon need replacing :shocked :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
trmn8r said:
Jim
if you want the AFS wheels...check out e-bay. AFS sells their wheel sets with no reserve. I have seen their 17x9 front with 17x10.5 rear sets...in chrome....go for $800-$1000.
sounds a little hight to me???? i got mine for $530 shipped to my door????? no doubt about there ebay auctions though. if you want afs wheels thats the best place to get them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I got mine off ebay for $585 shipped. I've run AFS wheels for over 3 years now. 2 different sets on 2 different cars. Never a problem. The 10.5's w/ 315's make the rear of the car look WIDE.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top