Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At just 4000 miles, had my 2010 GT Vert's top repaired under TSB 10-4-13 "Headliner Pulled Out from Number 1 Bow" (publication date of 3-2-2010).

The repair thru a dealership was about 6 weeks ago. The dealership used a local auto trim shop.

Well, bottom line, I fear this was the first such repair that this shop attempted. The repair didn't hold and now the cloth fabric has pulled out of the #1 bow again - and its a wider gap than before the repair.

The dealership wants to give the same repair shop a second shot at the repair and I don't think that's reasonable - all they're doing is putting more rivet holes and double-sided sticky tape (not kidding; see the TSB) where the cloth hits the metal bow and that's bound to weaken it even more.

What do you think? Is a whole top replacement in order so this situation won't soon develop again or, worse, when I'm out of the warranty period in a year?

2002 GT Vert 5-sp sold
2001 GT 5-sp sold

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
three times becomes a lemon law correct? bust their chops not correct a complete reinstall by ford, do not let them screw with you.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Most states the lemon law is 3 repairs for the same problem or 30 days of accumulated down time. I would not let them send it to the same shop and try and make them give you a new top.

Earl

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
thank you i was not sure you are correct

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My quickie research shows that CA Lemon Law can apply to 3 or even 2 repair attempts if the issue is major - like...say...master brake cylinder defect, axles or steering wheels falling off, fuel injector fires, etc.
A defective convertible top does not quite rise to that safety level - so it would require additional repair episodes. But since the first repair only lasted 6 weeks...should be interesting to see how long the next repair holds on.
All you Vert owners out there - this TSB applied to 2005-2010 Stangs...so check that first "bow" - the one right over your head. Interesting that the vinyl top on my 2005 GT never had this problem...wondering if its related to the cloth top on my 2010...onward and backward I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts