03 style cluster into fox Dash? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Senior Member Array

Guess I'm not to that part yet...LOL.Can you mount it upside down??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

I cut off the tab that hits the dimmer. Now mine sits straight and I still have a dimmer. I used a hacksaw with really fine teeth and it worked great. Just be really careful when you do it and it will be fine.

J

Senior Member Array

J You mean the tab that has that bolt in it that holds the lens on??? I thought about cutting that and it would let it sit all the way down but looks as if the curved part of the lens would still hit the dimmer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array

Alright cut the tab off flush and it still is cocked up on that side because its hitting the dimmer. Without the dimmer it fits perfect and level. I am assuming you used the bottom 2 mounting points one on the far right the other on the far left on the cluster as they lined right up with the fox dash dowel holes and all with just very little messaging??? Looks to me these are the only 2 places the 03 cluster will mount up??? But even with smoothing off that tab mine isnt gonna work with the dimmer. I may be missing something >

I didn't line the mounting holes up. Mine sits a little higher. Basically I only have one bolt holding it in place on the right. The hole where the little dowel goes in on the right is where I bolted it to. I cut off the dowels on both sides so it would fit flush and put a small bolt, from behind, through the hole where the dowel would fit. I did this with the dash in. Its a tight fit but it can be done. Then I put a nut on from the front. It is a little loose until you put the black piece with the headlight switches on. The cover holds it in place. Basically it sits on the dimmer on the left and is bolted on the right.

Sorry I didn't clarify better.

Hope this helps.

J

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by jwakneef View Post
    I didn't line the mounting holes up. Mine sits a little higher. Basically I only have one bolt holding it in place on the right. The hole where the little dowel goes in on the right is where I bolted it to. I cut off the dowels on both sides so it would fit flush and put a small bolt, from behind, through the hole where the dowel would fit. I did this with the dash in. Its a tight fit but it can be done. Then I put a nut on from the front. It is a little loose until you put the black piece with the headlight switches on. The cover holds it in place. Basically it sits on the dimmer on the left and is bolted on the right.

Sorry I didn't clarify better.

Hope this helps.

J
    I went down and looked mine over.Its all apart now and pieces all over...LOL
    I did not use the stock screw locations on the lower.I made 2 new holes,the one on the lower left is higher and too the left than the factory threaded insert.The cluster is also shimmed outward about 2 inches.
    Keep in mind I modified the cluster trim bridge as well with the bridge from an 04.I might have to trim the plastic off to put the dimmer in place.Not by much,maybe 2-3mm.I looked for a dimmer to try but its such a mess.
    If anyone needs pics of the new mounting holes let me know.

It pretty much looks like the mounting holes will need to be moved either way. I may try and duplicate your setup when I have some more time to fool with it dil. It looks really clean.

J

Senior Member Array

OK J I see what you are saying now, its hard to understand things over the net. DIL please post up a few pics of what you are talking about. I would appreciate it!!! I am anal and I want to make it work with the DIMMER.

Bringing back the dead, are yalls clusters bolted in? Or just sittin there? Can figure out how i want to do it

I see no need for my own thread! So how did your cluster swaps into your fox dash's turn out? I'm currently in the process.

13. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12