Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

$3000 race against 2008 z06

51K views 280 replies 68 participants last post by  dwhuff 
#1 ·
This friday night I have a $3000 grudge race against a 2008 z06. Race is to be on street tires. The vette is stock with 500 miles on it. The guys I am racing are from VA around the Colonial beach area. I will be putting in the 3.73's this week and grabbing some nitto drag radials. I have had a vette with a supercharger so I know what I'm getting into. I raced several 07, 08 z06's with my 2007 supercharged vette and walked all of them. I will be allowed to look the car over to see if its modded. Other party knows that I have a 2008 Shelby with about the same milage and doesn't car if I have mods. Gonna be FUUUNNNN. We will be racing at MIR in Maryland. Those who don't know I have 2.6 upper, 4# lower, JLT cold air, 160 mm mondo blade throttle body, metco tensioner, bassani race axle back, afco heat exchanger and sct tune by Jon Lund.

#2 ·
James from RWTD took his stock c6Z06 to hub city and ran 11.10's on stock run flats and stock other than a tune. so if the guy you are racing has a tune and can drive, he should be pretty close to those times. So be prepared.

#4 ·
trust me I know. I know what they run. Gonna be a good run, I'm pretty sure I will be OK. I know these guys and will be surprised if they run mid 11's........ Keep your fingers crossed, we will have it on video. Thats moving out for James. I know a guy with just a tune and drag radials that went 10.80's...... His name is Ranger and from maryand. Helped me out a ton when i had my vette

#7 ·
+1

Nitto's wont cut it with your mods. I have the same mods with 3.73's

you will need MT's.

#8 ·
The main bet is $3000 there is already $1500 in side bets. I will be buying tires this week, I have had MT and Nittos on my old Supercharged 00 gt, 03 nitrous Mach and my 04 Cobra. I can actually do pretty well wth my 285 555's on the street. But trust me I won't chance it on this race. They might Bit_h about MT. I have been racing on the street and track for a long time. I took my 2003 Mach 1 to 12.90 BONE stock. Come on guys have faith, I'm bringing this one home for us:headspin:

#9 ·
The main bet is $3000 there is already $1500 in side bets. I will be buying tires this week, I have had MT and Nittos on my old Supercharged 00 gt, 03 nitrous Mach and my 04 Cobra. I can actually do pretty well wth my 285 555's on the street. But trust me I won't chance it on this race. They might Bit_h about MT. I have been racing on the street and track for a long time. I took my 2003 Mach 1 to 12.90 BONE stock. Come on guys have faith, I'm bringing this one home for us:headspin:
I'm wishing you the best! I want you to win! I want him to be afraid of white with blue stripe GT500's! lol

#11 ·
I am a member on Corvetteforums.com and checked the z06 section and found that they have a list compiled and the average for a stock z06 is 11.46 @ 124. Now this is with Ranger and a few others dipping into the 10's bringing the average down. If I don't put my Shelby into the 10's near 130 mph I will be very surprised.. Its amazing the bolt on catagory is 11.14 @ 127 mph fastest guy having full exhaust w/o cats , cold air, long tubes, tune and BFG drag radials running10.76 @ 129

#17 ·
With 3k on the line I would be running full slicks instead of drag radials. If you spin off the line you are toast, you'll never catch him unless you pop him out of the gate.
If he has a race tune and good gas, well, you can always pray he breaks.......If he is willing to drive the car hard, I would say he is more likely to win.

#20 ·
I will put this car into the 10's friday night and am pretty sure he won't. have you had a vette? I have, and put down more rwhp than the Z06. I also had 345's on the rear for traction. My car on street tires ran 11.40's at 129 mph with almost 100 more rwhp than the Z06. Now granted that pass with a better 60 ft would have been in the 10's. But i only managed a 1.89 on nitto invos. Stock run craps suck so I am sure he will have problems also. Remember he is staying on factory tires We shall see!!!

#21 ·
I'd put my money on the Shelby. Out of all the ZO6's on that vette forum, there is only a select very few that will be able to drive that car into the 10's.

With an average driver, that maybe a 11.40-50 car.
You sir are correct!!!! Few and far between:beer:

#24 ·
I am pretty savy with the vettes so I am confident i will be able to tell if its modded except for a tune. I am not taken it lightly at all. .. I learned the vettes inside and out over the last year. If I lose It will just piss me off and make me throw on a whipple with 20+lbs of boost. I am really looking forward to friday night.

#27 ·
I will put this car into the 10's friday night and am pretty sure he won't. have you had a vette? I have, and put down more rwhp than the Z06. I also had 345's on the rear for traction. My car on street tires ran 11.40's at 129 mph with almost 100 more rwhp than the Z06. Now granted that pass with a better 60 ft would have been in the 10's. But i only managed a 1.89 on nitto invos. Stock run craps suck so I am sure he will have problems also. Remember he is staying on factory tires We shall see!!!
Yes I've had a vette, and plenty of other cars. As far as putting down the power, with a tune he is 480-490rwhp and weights at least 500lbs less than your car no matter how you cut it. If he has swapped on DR's or slicks, launches hard, and doesn't break, you can count on him knocking off a 10.90 or better. You say you will put your car in the 10's, well see. Good luck, it should be close if nobody misses a gear and you can drop a nasty 60' on him.

#28 ·
Must be an aggressive tune. There's a full exhaust, CAI, & tune right under 500 here, and I don't ever see him getting into the 10's even on a tire.

If Maniax can drive like he says he can, the ZO6 is really gonna have his hands full. He better have "Ranger" or the other 2 drivers that have broke into the 10's driving for him.

#31 ·
And how many Eaton, 3.31 geared stock tuned GT500's have hit the 10's? None. At least its been done with a stock Z06 and drag radials.

I'm not saying I want the Z06 to win, don't get me wrong, and frankly I'd have to see both drivers in action before I would put any money on the race.

#35 ·
Eric its the good ol rivalry at its best! Everybody needs to remember its all in good fun and happening at the track. Nodody should get their panties bunched up. Wow to overpriced cars!!!! I think for the money I paid and what I actually got from Ford its not that bad. The vette at $70,000 while expensive is a track beast compared to others......

#39 ·
Maniax, because your car has the TB and lower i would put my money on you. I think those two mods will give you the edge. I have the normal bolt ons and stay door to door with the new zo6s till about 125, then they creep a little. Of course, this is fromm a roll though so im glad to hear you are a good driver. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.