Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Beech Bend for the first time with my Pulley and Chip, happy that I ran an 11 my first time out, but I was expecting more mph. On the 11 second pass 60ft was 1.84 so the car was hooking well, but it doesnt feel as if the car is making the power it should be. I made a lot of changes last night at the track as well all from pulling my headlight with the JLP, to pulling the JLP out completely and running no filter, to swapping my 2.80, and the car stayed the same all night mph wise, almost dead on 93mph in the 1/8 and 117.8 in the 1/4. Never had it on a dyno so I am not sure what the A/F is but a good friend of mine has virtually the same setup, and he was running 11.80's @ 120 , he is a solid 3 mph faster in the 1/8 and 1/4, with basically same mods that tells me his car is in a better state of tune, both of us were driving the shit out out cars, although on my 11.98 I didnt powershift, but the rest of the passes I did all resulting in no gains in the mph dept. Opinions welcome ! Thanks Trey

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
I am suprised you didn't pick up anything with the pulley swap.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah me to Jimmy, with all the things I have tried and nothing picked it up that tells me that something is up in the tune, what do you think? My tune is Ricks tune, same one Finicky has run 11.40 @ 124 on and I have basically the identical combo as he does sans exhaust, so thats what I am comparing my car too, something is up for him to have 7mph on me!!!! Not sure on the elevation at Bowling Green but its known to give solid results! As far as 1/8 goes I went 7.76 @ 93.19, i am gonna get intouch with Rick and see what he thinks, I am also thinking about pulling the chip and running some race gas next time out and see if the car picks up mph, while my chip is getting reburned and see what kind of results I get! Dont get me wrong I am happy with the 11's but disappointed in my mph it should be in the 120's with my driving style and mods, no question!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Whose tune and chip does your friend have for his car? You have to remember Finicky&JT are great drivers and are also very good at powershifting through all the gears and some of the east coast tracks are well BELOW sea level at times in the fall in really good air.I am sure if you let one of those guys drive your car at there track your car would easily see 120mph with no problem.I noticed you run a idler pulley setup does your friend run one also just curious!

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
MPH is your concern.
well the conditions, Wind, Barometer and all play a big part in MPH.
Driving also may change ET , However Track Conditions can give you 2,3,4ETC MPH.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True Roller Ray and JT are great drivers, but 7 mph is a lot and the air was good last night in Bowling Green as well, as I was saying I powershifted my car cleanly and noticed no more mph my car is just missing something it may take a while but it will get lined out! It almost seems something is maxed out, whether its real lean or rich but i did some things last night that should have picked it up and nothing did. As far as my buddy goes he runs Ricks old chip and he uses the SFPH idlers, and his car is just flat out faster than mine, like I said its all in the tune!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Trey,
Not a bad run but I think something must not be right somewhere.

With the same mods I had when I went to beech bend (No heat exchanger, stock throttle body, on F1's) comparing my best ET locally with my best ET at Beech Bend looks like this
Atco:1.874 5.053 7.646 95.81 9.821 11.751 121.39

Vs Beech bend:
1.839 5.026 7.651 94.34 9.905 11.79 120.33

Looks like Beech Bend was off about 1 mph vs Atco.

Talk to Rick see what he suggests, Have you ran your car on a Dyno? I'd like to see the curves.

Don't despair though, all in all it was a good run, a lot of guys are still looking for their first 11.xx slip. I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

JT

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There ya go JT , appreciate you coming up with that! Its clear that my car is off the pace 3-4 mph at least if not more, never had the car on the dyno so thats working against me right now. I'll get with Rick when he gets back and hopefully he will have some thoughts on what to do, actually I know he will. Its got to be in the tune, my car cant be a lemon it went 12.65 @111.4 stock with the silencer in place, Keep the responses coming! Trey

·
Registered
106 Posts
trey193 said:
Went to Beech Bend for the first time with my Pulley and Chip, happy that I ran an 11 my first time out, but I was expecting more mph. On the 11 second pass 60ft was 1.84 so the car was hooking well, but it doesnt feel as if the car is making the power it should be. I made a lot of changes last night at the track as well all from pulling my headlight with the JLP, to pulling the JLP out completely and running no filter, to swapping my 2.80, and the car stayed the same all night mph wise, almost dead on 93mph in the 1/8 and 117.8 in the 1/4. Never had it on a dyno so I am not sure what the A/F is but a good friend of mine has virtually the same setup, and he was running 11.80's @ 120 , he is a solid 3 mph faster in the 1/8 and 1/4, with basically same mods that tells me his car is in a better state of tune, both of us were driving the shit out out cars, although on my 11.98 I didnt powershift, but the rest of the passes I did all resulting in no gains in the mph dept. Opinions welcome ! Thanks Trey
Maybe your belt is slipping a bit.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont think belt slip is an issue, I have adressed all the areas with a 100mm idler, 74 Gatorback belt and all, It may slip a slight bit but not enough for me to be off the pace as much as I am. On the street 2nd gear roll I can take the car up to 62-6300 and the guage stays rock solid!

While my chip is being reburned in the meantime I am gonna run the stock settings and add some race gas to cushion any lean conditions and I am gonna go run at our local 1/8 track and see if the mph picks up in the 1/8 if it does considerably I can atleast eliminate some variables, anybody think I am on the right track here???:)

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
I wouldn't run it without the chip with 280 pulley.
If i were you I'd try my Friends chip..The original Program to compare those 2 tunes.
Could be something in the new program.It could be as simple as something that should be in the program was not downloaded.
You know your friends tune is right..I'd compare it to yours..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
I wouldn't run it without the chip with 280 pulley.
If i were you I'd try my Friends chip..The original Program to compare those 2 tunes.
Could be something in the new program.It could be as simple as something that should be in the program was not downloaded.
You know your friends tune is right..I'd compare it to yours..
Good idea!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes Jim great idea! And I thought about the same thing, maybe something just wasnt downloaded correctly in the chip, things happen!

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
trey193 said:
Yes Jim great idea! And I thought about the same thing, maybe something just wasnt downloaded correctly in the chip, things happen!
Watching many chips get downloaded,sometimes the chip won't even start the car.. $#!t happens..
You need to get a few programs and try them on a dyno with AF readings.You can try 2 programs in one chip.

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
Trey,
If you have access to an Autotap, you may want to check the timing at the top end. I have Rick's chip and mine is pulling at least 10 degrees of timing for some reason. It is boost pressure related though. I just discovered it last week, so I haven't had an opportunity to discuss it with him yet.

Dana

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dana great tool you have there, no I dont have access to that. I could be getting something similar to your timing problem hence why my car doesnt pull up top to get the mph it should, well the 1/8mph is off of what it should be as well! Heck I dont know but hopefully Rick will! :)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I pulled the chip out this morning and did some full throttle runs in the car, it feels better with the chip down low but not up top. I know Rick brings in the boost quicker with his chip among some other things and thats most of the reason it feels great down low and through the middle, but with no chip it feels much more willing to pull up top through 3rd and 4th than it did with the chip, not sure what that tells anyone. All this was with my 2.93, and the rest of the mods in my sig, also didnt notice any spark knock, even in 6th and going full throttle at 40mph (most load) I would love to be able to see if the car mph'd better in this state of tune? Then I would be getting somewhere. Any care to elaborate? Trey

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Trey you are definately loosing TQE without the Chip..I can't see it getting more MPH but who knows anymore..

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
trey193 said:
I pulled the chip out this morning and did some full throttle runs in the car, it feels better with the chip down low but not up top. I know Rick brings in the boost quicker with his chip among some other things and thats most of the reason it feels great down low and through the middle, but with no chip it feels much more willing to pull up top through 3rd and 4th than it did with the chip, not sure what that tells anyone. All this was with my 2.93, and the rest of the mods in my sig, also didnt notice any spark knock, even in 6th and going full throttle at 40mph (most load) I would love to be able to see if the car mph'd better in this state of tune? Then I would be getting somewhere. Any care to elaborate? Trey
No chip will definatly cost you torque down low , and it could be the lack of torque there is making the top end feel better.

JT

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No doubt in my mind that the chip is costing me torque down low, but the top end for sure is stronger, Also I talked with my buddy today with the other 03 and we are gonna install his chip with my combo and I will install my 2.80 at that time, that will make us having identical combo's except he has 3inch flowmaster catback vs my Mac and he has a Billetflow vs my Accufab. Everything else will be the same. And if the car picks up with his chip at least Rick would have something to go by, since I will have no dyno sheets or nothing for him to go off of its gonna make it hard for him. Wonder when they are getting back from TX>???

1 - 20 of 48 Posts