Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...I had half a tank of 100 unleaded in my baby the last few weeks and noticed my boost was only going to 20 lbs...I thought maybe it was just the hot weather doing that...but...I went out again tonight with a half tank of 112 octane leaded and the boost is back up to 22 lbs! ??? What gives with that...I know Nitrous Pete always told me with my tune to get the most out of it to run the 112....seems like it might have something to do with boost? Not sure....but its the only thing I changed and the air tonight isnt that great either...so for now on...112 all the time.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
107 Posts
You probably know.... but you shorten the life of your O2 sensors when you run leaded. I just don't know how short, let us now how it works out for you over time please.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Does the 112 octane have more methanol in it. If so maybe its cooling the air charge a little thus making for a little denser charge

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have tried 3 different fuels primary for track use. 110 leaded, Chevron 105 Extreme Unleaded and the standard Idaho 91 octane pump gas. Of the three, it seems the car sounded best/smoothest with the 110 leaded. However, at the track they all performed virtually the same. Less than 1/10 second difference between the three fuels. So I believe the old adage that a car only needs enough octane to prevent detonation. Any more than that is wasted. Harry, perhaps your timing or boost is such that it needs more than a 100 octane to run correctly. Consider trying some 105 unleaded and see how it works.

By the way, I know lead is considered a no-no for 02’s and cats but my A/F gauge still shows that they are sending readings as good as they always have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts