Whipple or Kenne bell - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Quote Originally Posted by adj04 View Post
    Trying to decide which supercharger i want to go with for my 07 GT. I can get a whipple and still keep my factory waranty as long as ford puts it on. Or i can go kenne bell but void my warranty. Also if i go kenne bell they have a stage one, stage two and a 2.8L mammoth kit. Will the stock bottom end even hold a kenne bell mammoth kit? If anybody has any insight on any of these kits i would greatly appreciate it !!!!!!
    There is a lot to be said for maintaining your warranty. A couple of things to consider first is total cost. The Whipple is a great SC and so is the Kenne Bell.

What is your total out of pocket for purchase, install and dyno tune for both units.

The Whipple was not availalbe for the 4.6L for 2002 so we went with the Kenne Bell. You can install the KB yourself in about a day if you are mechanically inclined. Their instruction manual could only be improved with color photos.

1 week after install of the KB, we drove 2200 mile to Myrtle Beach SC for Mustang Week. We averaged 23mpg cruising pretty good all the way. We were very happy with the fuel economy. That was a non-intercooled 6 psi version putting down about 340 to the wheels.

The bigger blower kits certainly allow you to put some huge psi into the motor. I can't comment on how the new motor's bottom end will survive.

I can say that I am very happy with the Kenne Bell. I would let cost and then your desire for warranty to drive your decision.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Kenne Bell all the way. Their engineering is second to none.
    People who say your pistons will melt and rods will crumble over 10 PSI are just fear-mongers.
    Go over 12 PSI and maybe that will happen.
    I have had great customer service from KB since 1978. I have never had them not pick up the phone and answer my question or help me. Jim Bell is aleader in the Mustang racing community, but I dont know much about Mr. Whimple.

For those interested in the Whipple HO kit, check out Hilbish Ford. They have a sponser link on this site. Jonathan has the best prices I've ever seen. Their Whipple HO kit is $100 cheaper than Tousley. I ordered my GT500 fp and 60lb injectors from Hilbish. I'm in N.C. and my package came in 2 days. If I didnt find a Saleen SC for $3200, (private seller), then I would have went with the Whipple. Give Hilbish a call, they have awesome prices on any frpp product.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Stolen 98 View Post
    SALEEN
    If you want to max out at 14psi (maybe 15 or 16 w/ the new intake) then go for it.

Whipple or KB will get you into the 600hp range if you have a built bottom end and do everything correctly. Both are great blowers, too. But if you want blower whine, go with the Whipple. It's nowhere near as much as a 03/04 Cobra, but it's better than absolutely nothing like the Saleen/KB units

I went with the whipple for a few reasons. I lived in New Orleans and it floods there a lot. I wasnt so happy about having a intake so low. Maybe it wouldnt injest water....maybe it would....I wouldnt want to try it...and yes I drove my car in some deep deep water before. I also liked that it came with a fuel pump system not something to overdrive the stock pumps. The BAP probably works just as good...but I liked the new gt500 pump idea even better. I can still add BAP to them. The whipple also came with spark plugs....and I think the prices of the 2 were close to the same. I do like that the KB is a larger one tho 2.6 vs the 2.3 but I dont know how much that makes a difference at my power level.

You cant go wrong with either I think...and I 2nd Jared at lethal having great CS!! Thats where I got my whipple from.

Quote Originally Posted by LSUstang05 View Post
    If you want to max out at 14psi (maybe 15 or 16 w/ the new intake) then go for it.

Whipple or KB will get you into the 600hp range if you have a built bottom end and do everything correctly. Both are great blowers, too. But if you want blower whine, go with the Whipple. It's nowhere near as much as a 03/04 Cobra, but it's better than absolutely nothing like the Saleen/KB units
    So are you saying that there is NO whine with the KB? I know you have had to seen a vid with 2.2 or bigger KB Cobra, and they JUST SCREAM!

Im Not Banned...yet Array 94tbird's Avatar

There is no issue with a BAP over the fuel system. Either will be fine for the needs of the kit and even upping the boost a few psi from stock. Both are proven to work and if BAPs were a problem KB wouldnt use them because KB would be out of business replacing blown motors due to ineffective kits

As far as the Intercoolers go they are one in the same size. The area around them is a different size but crack them open (and i have seen inside both manifolds) they use the same size intercooler. Not to mention whipple had a problem early on with their intercooelrs leaking

I have not really taken a look at the Stok Whipple HE so i cant comment but any S/C kit will benefit from a alrger unit than what is provided stock and i would consider it a necessary upgrade. HEAT is bad and less heat is good

Yes whipple comes with spark plugs but at 10psi standard you need them KB is 8psi standard and regapping the stock plugs works fine at that power level

KB Relocates the IAT sensor to after the compressed air so you get accurate Temperature readings for pulling timing in case of hot air. Whipple does not. You have to modify the whipple system to do so. Easy? yes but yous shouldnt have to

Water ingestion is not a problem on the KB kits your filter is protected by the wheel liner as well as the splash guard under the car and the front bumper. Unless your driving through a few feet of water, and you shouldnt be anyway, you wont have a problem and it will give you cooler air

Unless your custom tuning the car, this wont affect you but if you use the canned whipple tune many have reported it to be lean in the upper rpm band and that is not a good thing. MY Canned KB tune was right on the money when i had the car dynoed.

All in all both kits will give you what you want and are looknig for MORE POWER. I went with KB and am completely happy with the service i have recieved. Yes it is difficult to get through at times but when you do getthrough you will get an answer. Saleen IMO is the worst cust service I had a question on their instructions and the guy put me on hold for 45 minutes and came back and said hed call me back in a few days. 3 weeks later i got a call asking me if i still needed help. Thank SALEEN

IMO you cant go wrong with either kit

Take a look at the new K/B mammoth 2.8 set up !!! (just awsome) ! looking to put one on my 2007 gt ! Im sorry but whipple cant touch that set up !

Im Not Banned...yet Array 94tbird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by apg2369 View Post
    Take a look at the new K/B mammoth 2.8 set up !!! (just awsome) ! looking to put one on my 2007 gt ! Im sorry but whipple cant touch that set up !
    If you do not have a built motor, then the mammoth kit wil do you no good. You wont have the ability to take use of the higher boost range where the blower itself is optimized for which is 15+psi. you cant run that on a stock motor

Quote Originally Posted by 94tbird View Post
    If you do not have a built motor, then the mammoth kit wil do you no good. You wont have the ability to take use of the higher boost range where the blower itself is optimized for which is 15+psi. you cant run that on a stock motor
    Yes you can if you switch out the lower pulley to a 5" and go with the 3.5 and you should be at 510 thats what I saw get put down on one ! (untill you get a built motor) yes its optimized for 15 lbs !

you might be able to get 3.75 upper to bring the boost down some more ?

13. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12