Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

S Trim 12-14 psi & 100 shot, pump gas?

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  bahndrvr 
#1 ·
My friend just got his 02 GT going (yes the one in the other thread about bypass valves and such) with an MMR 900 Shortblock, Patriot Stage 2 Heads, Crower Stage II Cams, LT's, Offroad X Pipe, Accufab Plenum & 75mm TB, Cobra Tank & Pumps, 42LB Injectors. It has a Vortech S Trim with a 3.33 pulley. He was thinking about adding methanol and pulleying it up for more boost, it makes 12 psi at 6500 right now but was running out of fuel and had to be detuned until he gets a KB BAP, car was still peaking, will probably rev to 6800 or so, dunno what the boost will be then.

It made 469 rwhp lean at 6500, was detuned to 6100 rpms and given some fuel where it makes 455 rwhp. It made 431 rwhp with the stock heads, C&L plenum instead of the accufab, 2 1/4 inch Flowmasters instead of the 2.5" Magnaflows. at 6200 but was reved to 6500 on the street where it made 12 psi.

He was thinking about just putting a 100 shot on it for now instead of messing with a pulley and methanol but isnt sure if it can do it on pump gas. Car is non intercooled, the nitrous will act like an intercooler but will also raise the cylinder pressure quite a bit. Car would probably make 600 and be alot stronger through the mid range.

What do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
I think something is off, with cobra tank and pumps you should Not have fuel issues till over about 550ish, then the BAP would be needed and would take you easily to 650. I say don't fugg with Nitrous, go with Meth for a temp fix. And also is he not intercooled because 12 psi on a 3.33 is CRAZY. I run a 3.1 pulley, stock heads, longtubes, etc.. I see 10.5 at 6250. I would recommend going with a smaller pulley. Only thing I can think is what was the Pressure at on the fuel system when it dropped. When I started outrunning my focus pump, my pressure would go from 40ish to 15 right around 5200.

You should idle around 30 on the Cobra Pumps, then go between 40 and 50 psi under full throttle with it not going down to be honest with your power level. Is it really a Cobra Tank? What was the gas level at on the car because you can't go below 1/4 tank with those dual pumps. What is his voltage at from the BAttery on the Datalogs?

Let me know. I say pulley it instead of cutting corners because the nitrous will require a retune, the meth won't but I would recommend it, and the extra boost would be safe just adding a few clicks of fuel at WOT without adding spark.

#3 ·
Also, look into intercooling of some sort, otherwise he will be leaving ALOT of power as the car heats up. I've got a BTI intercooler and on a 95 degree day my inlet temps are right around 71 degrees consistently:)

The comment on boost was due to the list of parts as well, because CAms, heads, and longtubes generally will put you WAY off your pulley's previously thought level, meaning with H/C/Longtubes I would be happy to see 9-10 psi on my 3.1 pulley, much less 12psi on a 3.33....

#5 ·
Also, look into intercooling of some sort, otherwise he will be leaving ALOT of power as the car heats up. I've got a BTI intercooler and on a 95 degree day my inlet temps are right around 71 degrees consistently:)

The comment on boost was due to the list of parts as well, because CAms, heads, and longtubes generally will put you WAY off your pulley's previously thought level, meaning with H/C/Longtubes I would be happy to see 9-10 psi on my 3.1 pulley, much less 12psi on a 3.33....
Methanol or nitrous will cool it down but the last time it was dynoed it was hottttttttttttt, iats on that thing have got to be HIGH but thats how it's always been lol. Needs something to cool it!

Whats weird is, the car made 12 psi at 6500 with the stock heads and smaller exhaust, it makes 12 psi at 6500 now with the same cams, with the patriot heads and bigger exhaust. WTF?

#4 ·
It has an actual 03 Cobra tank out of an 03 Cobra, I know the car it came out of (HP Twin Turbo car, swapped to return style fuel system), it dropped fuel pressure on the dyno run. Tuner couldnt get the car to make power safely, it just kept running out of fuel. Dont remember the gas level but the car has had a Cobra tank and duel pumps for almost 2 years, so it's nothing new to him. Unsure of voltage but nobody said anything about it being weird?

As far as not having an intercooler...... Vortech 02 Mustang GT vs the World Compilation

ALOT OF RACES (it has had alottttttttttttttt more than these lol) on a non intercooled setup on a reman Ford motor haha.

It has to be retuned anyway, rev limiter is at 6100 rpms and the car is a slug, tuning at wot was never finished, car was never reved as high as it needs to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.