Article - Install a 4R70W into a Cobra - Page 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 First 123456789101114 ... Last

Quote Originally Posted by 99blkcobravert View Post
    Candyandchrome - Just remember that the first time you forget to shift out of overdrive from a dead stop and floor it, you'll have to replace the OD band!

Installing an LED indicator light on each (OD and Lock-up) in a visible location greatly reduces the chances of that ever happening! Worked for me anyway!

Ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array 99blkcobravert's Avatar

Hope this doesn't happen to anyone.
    Question: Does anyone make a simple module that tells you what gear your tranny is in?

Senior Member Array candyandchrome's Avatar

Ok one more MF guys, are driveshafts on auto/manual the same length? All I will need is a different yoke?

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by candyandchrome View Post
    Ok one more MF guys, are driveshafts on auto/manual the same length? All I will need is a different yoke?
    No,
    You will either need a spacer to add if using a manual trans. driveshaft, or have a custom driveshaft built to length!
    I chose the latter of the 2 and used Denny's Driveshaft at the recomendation of GI Joe. They were very helpful, and have a sheet on their website to download, so you measure exactly where they want you to!

I'll use them again when the time comes.....for some reason I just don't like the spacer idea, but plenty have used them without issues.....I believe Steeda makes them!

EDIT: As 99blkcobravert mentioned below the yoke does need to be changed over to the appropriate one for the auto trans your using, and if you have an '03-'04 Cobra IRS with the stock pinion flange you will need to swap to a 1350 U-joint on the back of the trans, or swap a 1330 pinion flange onto the IRS>

Ken
    Last edited by 4sdvenom; 11-11-2008 at 05:48 PM.

You have to change the front yoke to the auto style. I think if you use the long tailshaft on the trans the stock Cobra driveshaft will work w/o a spacer. I'll measure the DS when I take mine out.

When I swapped in my auto, I went to Ford to get a yoke for an auto. They had 2 different length ones in stock. I bought the longer one and it went about 3.25" into the trans and had about 3" left out. So I didn't even bother getting a spacer or anything. It worked fine for me, but if I were to do it over again, I'd probably go ahead and have a custom driveshaft made!

Can you make a 4r70w auto on the street and full manual at the track or is it auto or manual? Got mine apart now deciding what direction to go. Thanks

I think you can manually shift a fully automatic and have the best of both worlds. I'm using a Baumannator controller for auto shifting.

Awesome,how hard was that unit to set up? Price is good just not sure how in depth it is to install. Thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by candyandchrome View Post
    Awesome,how hard was that unit to set up? Price is good just not sure how in depth it is to install. Thanks man
    It's not that hard of an install/swap at all....pretty straight forward. Just having the patience to get through the little odds and ends you'll need through the swap goes a long way. It was the best mod I did to my '03 Cobra and I will do it again on the next build!

Ken

FULL MANUAL VALVE BODY! Don't look back! Ill sell ya mine so I can get one with a Trans brake!

how are you guys liking the MVB autos?

when you drive them on the street, do you miss the 6 speed at all?

and what about roll racing? is the car still a performer against say....a 6 speed vette from a roll being set up for drag racing?( dig racing i mean)?

I loved mine especially with the twin turbo setup. At 60mph, I could drop to 2nd gear and it the boost was instant. At 35-40, you could drop to first if you wanted, but I'd just blow the tires off. But even without dropping a gear, my car would pull almost instantly. I never regretted the swap at all. The only regret I had was not doing it sooner....

Quote Originally Posted by SnkeBt10nBlwn View Post
    how are you guys liking the MVB autos?

when you drive them on the street, do you miss the 6 speed at all?

and what about roll racing? is the car still a performer against say....a 6 speed vette from a roll being set up for drag racing?( dig racing i mean)?
    Loved the MVB......only way I would have an auto in a high performance car!
    Did not miss the 6 speed at all with it!

Roll racing is not an issue depending on what MPH your racing to, but with a lock up converter you can pull it pretty far for highway roll racing, but OD in a 4r70w is just for cruising and not for WOT, it doesn't have the holding capacity. Third gear locked will take you pretty far MPH wise, especially if your car can rev it a bit more and still make power (e.g. decent enough sized turbos to let you pull it to 7000+

Only regret was selling mine to use the cash to pick up another '03 Cobra (long story..lol..)

Ken

ok guys my tuner is having a problem( besides running out of fuel)...but he is saying the car is VERY violent.( almost like dropping it into 2nd at a high gear) when the stall hits.

it is a Precision industries stall converter 3200 speed.

my question is , is there different kind of stalls? i mean..built differently for turbo or superchargers? i bought this stall from a person who had it in a turbo car, and my car is TS.

any thoughts?
    thanks

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread