mach1 pistons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: mach1 pistons

Senior Member Array

Default mach1 pistons

im building my 03 mach1 engine to handle the poundings. does anyone know about how much power the stock 10:1 compression pistons in the 03 mach1 aluminum block can take before they go boom.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

i don't know much about those engines (maybe i should keep my mouth shut then), but wouldn't the rods go first or are they forged??? i dunno.

subscribing....my friend just bought an 03 mach 1 engine for his 1996 GT.

Don't worry about the pistons unless you are putting boost or NItrous on it. Even then...its usually the rods that fail from cyl pressure before the pistons do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array

yea im upgrading the rods with h beam manlys and a cobra steel crank and it has 12#'s of boost from a vortec v2 at the moment. im just not sure if the stock pistons can handle the power or if i have to replace those with a nice set from JE pistons. im trying to get as close to 600 rwhp as posible.

The stock pistons are just Hyperteutic pistons. I would 500rwhp max and then its still a ticking time bomb. My buddy has an 03 Mach 1 eaton swapped pusing 443rwhp, about 40+ rwhp is really all you want to go. If your tearing the engine apart why not repace the pistons? You can get DSS pistons for like $480 new.

I'm going to move this to the Mach 1 section...

Quote Originally Posted by fastlx1 View Post
    yea im upgrading the rods with h beam manlys and a cobra steel crank and it has 12#'s of boost from a vortec v2 at the moment. im just not sure if the stock pistons can handle the power or if i have to replace those with a nice set from JE pistons. im trying to get as close to 600 rwhp as posible.
    HUH??????????????

Psssst................YOU ALREADY HAVE A COBRA CRANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replace the pistons..............BUT..........you'll have to machine the block. Forged pistons require a "looser fit" than stock Mach1 pistons.

You really need to do research before you tackle this or someone is feeding you doody.

edit..............what trim SC????

Senior Member Array

i dint thing that these mach1 engines had a cobra spec crank. i had the parts guy at work check the part numbers and he said that the mach1 crank and the cobra crank had differant part numbers and then i check to see what my car should have when ford built it and i think its no a cobra crank. but this is the funny part, the fly wheel says nodular cobra on it. i dont know if it was installed before i bought the car

if your looking for 600 hp get some forged pistons 20 over get the block machined for these as stated before the forged units have a diffrent clearance due to the expantion of the piston ,cobra crank and H beams rods will help alot also get an aluminum flywheel , the forged rotating assy has more wheight so a lighter flywheel will help rev fater and finally get some ARP studs for the heads.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlx1 View Post
    i dint thing that these mach1 engines had a cobra spec crank. i had the parts guy at work check the part numbers and he said that the mach1 crank and the cobra crank had differant part numbers and then i check to see what my car should have when ford built it and i think its no a cobra crank. but this is the funny part, the fly wheel says nodular cobra on it. i dont know if it was installed before i bought the car
    Yours is a stick right?............with those numbers it has to be.

Also........a MUST.........ARP2000 rod bolts!!!

Ya didn't answer......what trim blower?

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder View Post
    Yours is a stick right?............with those numbers it has to be.

Also........a MUST.........ARP2000 rod bolts!!!

Ya didn't answer......what trim blower?

According to his sig its a V2 SQ, may want to step up to a T trim for pushing more than 600rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by 99MustangGTMan View Post
    According to his sig its a V2 SQ, may want to step up to a T trim for pushing more than 600rwhp
    At least a T trim

Senior Member Array

yes my car is a stick and i have a promtion powertain upgraded t3650, mccloud twin disc custom clutch, fidenza aluminum flywheel and promtion powertrain's own clutch quadrant and adjuster going in the car as soon as they ship it to me. right now my timming is only at 14 degrees and i can go up to 25. the pulley is a 3.1 on a vortec v2 sq blower. i can put a smaller pulley on if i so wish to. also have meth injection as well. this car has the potenial for almost 600rwhp. just need a stronger bottum end so i dont blow it up on the dyno. i know i need a cobra crank and h beam rods but i was trying to figure out if i need pistons or can the stockers hold up to the power. summit racing has JE pistons for $711. i would like to source all componants from 1 place cause i need to get the car done and off my lift in work.

Default Limit

500 hp fwhp is about it or 450 rwhp max .

Again with the "Cobra crank".
    A mach 1 with a stick and all 4.6 Modular Cobras have the same crank.
    If the Mach engine has an 8 bolt flywheel,
    it is ALREADY A COBRA CRANK, as Wild Bill said.
    If it has a 6 bolt crank, it is a cast crank from an Auto Mach.

Senior Member Array 1fast03mach's Avatar

I don't understand why your not replaceing the pistons as well since you have to tear apart the engine any ways might as well do the pistons at the same time and save your self from bigger headaches down the road.

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last