Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

2002 4.6L 2V Aluminum long block

8K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  pumm3l 
#1 ·
NO REASONABLE OFFER REFUSED

Engine is out of a 2002 explorer so the block is aluminum. Approx 36,000 miles on it, has a slight tap that goes away when the engine warms up (possible wrist pin, not interested in tearing it down to find out). Never starved for oil, never any metal in the pan. I had this engine in my 99 Mustang GT, it is a direct drop in. Looking for $700 or best offer. Will not ship (for now).

See less See more
#15 ·
Sure, the engine came from a ford junk yard from a 2002 explorer that was rear ended and marked totaled. These aluminum engines are exactly the same as the mustang engine other than being aluminum obviously, rated the same hp with mustang tune/exhaust. The engine pulled strong and was very reliable up until the day I pulled it. The 'tapping' may possibly be something simple someone said to me that it's probably piston slap which is common for these engines, it was also suggested that it may be a wrist pin. Given that I had no drivability issues nor have I seen any metal shavings, whatever the noise is should easily be able be fixed with a rebuild. Any machine shop can inspect it and clean it up for you. If you decide to do a built motor the part that's causing the noise will be replaced anyway. The engine has low miles on it, I really wish I would have been able to use it for my built motor but at the time I decided to build a new engine this car was my daily driver so I couldn't take it down for the rebuild.

I unfortunatly don't have a truck to transport the engine or I would deliver it to you no problem. If it comes down to it that you do want the motor and can't get it to your house I can ask around and see if I can find someone with a truck to get it over to you.

If you have any other questions just let me know.

#16 ·
Ok, thanks for the info. I am not ready to buy an engine just yet, but maybe later in the summer. I need to work out a storage/work area and get the funds together. It sounds good though, just not ready to commit yet. If it is still for sale in a month or two, I will probably be interested. Thanks.
-Lee

#29 ·
I think the issue was partly my fault honestly why it took so long. A lot of tires kickers were were 'interested' and I held on to it for sometimes 2-3 weeks waiting for them to come up with the money mean while any new interested people I would tell them it was pending sale, then they became uninterested because of different priorities. If I could do it over again it'd be a first come first serve thing. At least yours is a teksid block, much more popular than the WAP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.