Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone whats up. just had some questions on how to get my cobra in to the twelves. i have a 97 convertible and so far i have a bassani x pipe, two chamber flows, and intake and 4.10 gears. I want to do it with out a blower and on street tires(295-35 18s) if at all possible and i really dont want to change cams or touch the block. the mods that i want to do r shortened runners, long tube headers, ignition,pulleys, and possibly a dyno tuned chip. any other suggestions would help. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, ive already remove the spare,jack and all the carpeting in the trunk, but thats about it. whats the best headers avalible for my car and that r easier to install

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Here are just a few suggestions.

Remove passenger seat at the track, along with the wipers, antenna and rear spoiler.

Overinflate your front tires to 45psi, this will cause them to bow out in the middle and they will have less drag.

Cold air induction, pulleys, electric water pump, as well as exhaust are all good upgrades.

Remove weight on clutch fork and rear end housing, empty w/s washer tank. Get a Dynabatt battery! Remove front sway bar. Add heavy duty upper control arm bushings and a good set of LCA's.

Be careful when modifying the intake on a N/A car, I would try these mods first then move to IMRC deletes, intake work, and custom dyno chip.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
well for street tires I really have no idea, but if you run slicks leave as high as you can. Only do this if you have a properly built rear end though LOL

·
Registered
302 Posts
96blkcobra said:
well for street tires I really have no idea, but if you run slicks leave as high as you can. Only do this if you have a properly built rear end though LOL
I left at 5000 rpm w/ my 96 coupe on ET streets..:D It went 12.99 All that was done to my rearend was the 4.10 gears. I have been very lucky with this car tho. I have had no problems with it and it gets raced at least two weekends a month for the last year and a half. Not everyone is this lucky:D

·
Registered
885 Posts
white97 said:
hey everyone whats up. just had some questions on how to get my cobra in to the twelves. i have a 97 convertible and so far i have a bassani x pipe, two chamber flows, and intake and 4.10 gears. I want to do it with out a blower and on street tires(295-35 18s) if at all possible and i really dont want to change cams or touch the block. the mods that i want to do r shortened runners, long tube headers, ignition,pulleys, and possibly a dyno tuned chip. any other suggestions would help. Thanks
Since I have a 'vert, and I'm ALMOST in the 12's,
here's my 2 cents:

You're unlikely to get into the 12's with your current tires/wheels.
You'd need a LOT more power to overcome the poor traction you'll likely have with the short-sidewall 18's at the strip.
Borrow or buy some 17" (or smaller) BFG or Nitto drag radials for the track - the extra traction that DR's provide might get you into the 12's with your car "as-is" if you launch aggressively enough. You may even want to consider some ET streets, although they are not nearly as good a street tire as the Nitto's (BFG's are somewhere in-between the ET streets & the Nittos for street use).

As others have said, lighten-up the car as much as possible.
I have removed the spare/jack/factory amps/factory subwoofer enclosures, and installed a lightweight battery/lightweight tubular K-member/lightweight tubular A-arms/front Coil-overs.
The most bang-for-the-buck part I removed was the front sway-bar BTW - just that change (and some nice weather) dropped my ET by .5 seconds :cool:

Set the front tire pressure to 42 psi+ for less rolling resistance, and set the rear Drag Radials to 18 or 20 psi to start. Lower your rear tire pressure 1 psi every run (but don't go below 14 psi or so - the tire may come off the rim!) until you find the best traction.
A small amount of tire-spin off the line is OK, but if you launch at too low an RPM, the engine will bog & your 60' time we be horrible.

The main limitation with the 4V Cobras is traction & efficiently using the available power. Making more power is no guarantee of a lower ET if you can't transfer the additional hp to the ground. Many folks have dipped into the 12's with little more than a stock Cobra, 4.30 or 4.56 gears & a set of Drag Radials or ET streets.

My advice would be to go to the track (on a cool night if possible), bolt-on a set of Drag Radials & practice. See what kind of times & trap speeds you can run. Once you know your 60' times, trap speeds & ET, then it's easy to see if you actually need more hp, or if you just need to learn how to use what hp you already have (which is my problem BTW ;) )

Good Luck and let us know how you make out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts