Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the track tonight, hoping for low 13's/high 12's.

Unfortunately, here's what happened:

Run #1
R/T------------.994
60'-----------2.096
330'---------5.856
1/8----------8.894
MPH-------81.29
1000------11.489
1/4--------13.697
MPH------102.31
---------------------
During run #1, I ran against another '01 Coupe (STOCK, except for a cat-back & MAC cold-air kit) and he ran:

Run #1 '01 Coupe:

R/T--------.616
60'-------1.902
330'------5.540
1/8-------8.507
MPH-----82.33
1000----11.078
1/4------13.245
MPH----104.05

---------------------

Run #2
R/T----------.295
60'---------2.089
330'-------5.848
1/8---------8.921
MPH------80.80
1000-----11.516
1/4-------13.720
MPH-----102.50

Run #3
R/T----------.347
60'---------1.989
330'--------5.743
1/8---------8.845
MPH-------80.34
1000------11.457
1/4--------13.690
MPH-----100.80

Run #4
R/T------------.752
60'-----------2.130
330'----------5.898
1/8-----------8.961
MPH--------81.05
1000-------11.561
1/4---------13.762
MPH------102.55

This last run, I almost lost to a friggin' GT 'vert with only 3.73 gears/March ram-air kit/Off-road X-pipe/cat-back/STOCK tires!
Here's what the GT ran:

Run #4 '01 GT 'vert:

R/T------------.570
60'-----------2.135
330'----------5.915
1/8-----------9.006
MPH--------79.88
1000-------11.658
1/4----------13.914
MPH-------100.33


My questions is, WTF am I doing wrong?
I heated-up the Nitto's for a good 8 - 10 secs on several of the runs (didn't even have Nitto's before & ran a 13.77 @ 103 mph on the Comp TA's), and I put down 30 more rwhp than the '01 coupe mentioned above. I have also dropped ~ 175 lbs since my last visit to the strip (K-member/coil-overs/removed spare tire/lighter wheels/etc), yet I'm stuck in the mid to high 13's :(

I have been told - by Bob Cosby & others - that 4.10's are the WORST drag-racing gear for the 4V motor. Could they be a big factor in how slow the car runs?

I know my 2.1 - 2.2 60' times aren't helping me here, but even if I dropped down to a 1.8 - 1.9 60', I'm not going to be in the 12's.

ANY HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS????? :confused:

PS: Smart-A5S, non-helpful comments or suggestions will be ignored... :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
PRACTICE!!!!
I went fro 13.8 to 12.8 with only 2 mods. 90/10 stuts and Fox 4cyl springs. Other than that, my car stayed EXACTLY the same. I just went to the track as much as I could. I still think my car has more in it right now. I just have to do my part and find it:)

Darren
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
damn, i don't think that's bad at all. is it true, i've never heard anyone mention that 4:10's a bad gear to drag with?? :smoker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
What PSI were you running your Nittos at? I run mine at 10-12 PSI, and you have to heat the hell out of them. Where were you shfiting (RPM), was the car spinning the tires during your 1-2 shift bad? Need better 60ft's!! Try different shift points.. Bob Cosby runs his car up to 7500 on the stock valve train :jawdrop

Practice, practice, practice..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
4V_GTS said:
PRACTICE!!!!
I went fro 13.8 to 12.8 with only 2 mods. 90/10 stuts and Fox 4cyl springs. Other than that, my car stayed EXACTLY the same. I just went to the track as much as I could. I still think my car has more in it right now. I just have to do my part and find it:)

Darren
Yeah gotta put them 4.56 gears in :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vortechcobra97 said:
What PSI were you running your Nittos at? I run mine at 10-12 PSI, and you have to heat the hell out of them. Where were you shfiting (RPM), was the car spinning the tires during your 1-2 shift bad? Need better 60ft's!! Try different shift points.. Bob Cosby runs his car up to 7500 on the stock valve train :jawdrop

Practice, practice, practice..
I'm not spinning too much - on a couple of the runs, I heated-up the Nitto's for a good 10 - 15 secs, and pulled a 1.9" 60'.
I'm shifting near redline - shifting hard, but not power shifting.

(The '01 coupe I mentioned above has run 13.1 @ 104/105. He only has Nitto's/Cat-back/MAC cold air. Other than that, he's bone-stock w/3.27 gears.)

I am shifting into 4th gear right near the end of the 1/4, and I'm crossing the line at a lower-than-optimum rpm. I assume this is why my mph is so low(???)
This is why I have been told that 4.10's are the worst 1/4-mile gear - I'm forced to shift into 4th, and the motor doesn't have time to recover before the 1320 is over...

The 1st coupe I ran is an '01 Cobra with:

MAC cold-air
MAC cat-back
Stock 3.27 gears
One HELLUVA driver
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
If your gonna run N/A run 4.30s or 4.56 but 4.10 are a lot better than the 3.27 .. shift at 7000 next time... see where that gets you. Like I said Bob is spinng 7500 on the stock valve train. It wont hurt the car.. get a dyno tune as well. Keep practicing, your MPH was off on your good 60ft times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vortechcobra97 said:
If your gonna run N/A run 4.30s or 4.56 but 4.10 are a lot better than the 3.27 ..
I MAY go up to 4.30's or 4.56's as my next mod - but I'm worried going to a lower gear will only hurt my already bad situation....

vortechcobra97 said:
shift at 7000 next time... see where that gets you.
I'm already shifting up near there, according to the stock tach.
I'm not bouncing off the rev limiter though, so maybe I'm not as close to 7000 as I think(???) :confused:

vortechcobra97 said:
get a dyno tune as well.
Already did - FordChip tuned the car a month ago, and did a custom chip that netted me ~ 10 rwhp across the entire rpm range (up to 17 rwhp gain in some areas!)

vortechcobra97 said:
Keep practicing, your MPH was off on your good 60ft times.
I plan to... thanks for the thoughts & suggestions. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Gears aren't your problem although more would help. I have a t56 w/ 410s with 304rwhp and 286rwtq and ran an 8.1 1/8th @86. My 1/4 mile mphs were typically 105-106, so yours should be atleast that with 4.10 as we finish the 1/4 with equivalent gearing and you have more power.

I have found with these cars as you drop your 60ft your mph will go up. A good hookup with no bog will help your mph. Forget about your times for a second, your mph really stinks for a car with that kind of power regardless of 60ft.

I can't answer your question as I don't know what would cause such a low mph, but I would suggest not take what people say there mods are as fact. People love to appear as the car with the best times with little mods. In my experience at the track I have not seen 01 Cobras running 13.1s at 105 with the mods that guys listed and STOCK GEARS! He may have been lying.

Good luck, I feel your pain. I spent over a year feeling crappy about my car and finally found I needed to plug holes in my IMRC plates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DSharp said:
Gears aren't your problem although more would help. I have a t56 w/ 410s with 304rwhp and 286rwtq and ran an 8.1 1/8th @86. My 1/4 mile mphs were typically 105-106, so yours should be atleast that with 4.10 as we finish the 1/4 with equivalent gearing and you have more power.

I have found with these cars as you drop your 60ft your mph will go up. A good hookup with no bog will help your mph. Forget about your times for a second, your mph really stinks for a car with that kind of power regardless of 60ft.
Thanks for the advice & suggestions. I know I need more seat & track time, but I'm VERY frsutrated by some of the cars I'm getting outrun by at the track. I KNOW my car is faster than that - I just need to figure-out how to get it there....

DSharp said:
I can't answer your question as I don't know what would cause such a low mph, but I would suggest not take what people say there mods are as fact. People love to appear as the car with the best times with little mods. In my experience at the track I have not seen 01 Cobras running 13.1s at 105 with the mods that guys listed and STOCK GEARS! He may have been lying.
I have taken a ride in the mostly stock '01 mentioned above, and it does seem awfully powerful for a stock-geared '01. (I still remember how doggy mine felt with the 3.27's & more rwhp :vomit: )
He seems like a pretty decent guy though, and has offered plenty of useful tips. I don't see any reason for him to lie about his mods, but then I am an honest person about my car & may be too trusting... :smash

DSharp said:
Good luck, I feel your pain. I spent over a year feeling crappy about my car and finally found I needed to plug holes in my IMRC plates.
I don't know how you lasted a whole year - this is driving me nuts after only a few months :shocked
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
vortechcobra97 said:
Yeah gotta put them 4.56 gears in :D
The cars getting paid off next month so that's an extra $323 towards the car each month:evil

Darren
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Good luck, I feel your pain. I spent over a year feeling crappy about my car and finally found I needed to plug holes in my IMRC plates. [/B][/QUOTE]

what do you mean holes in your plates? are you running deletes or what's up? at the traps i'm also down on mph with 4:10's in the rear. i cant seem to pull out of 3rd gear at the traps at 96mph. any thoughts?? same problem as this guy who started the thread.:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eric Brooks said:
For the power your car makes, I would think it would run a little more MPH. I say this because mine, bone stock ran almost the same MPH in the eighth, and my car dynoed 275 RWHP STD
This is why I am so confused & asking for help.

I KNOW the car has more in it than a 13.69, I just don't know how to get it there.... :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
what do you mean holes in your plates? are you running deletes or what's up? at the traps i'm also down on mph with 4:10's in the rear. i cant seem to pull out of 3rd gear at the traps at 96mph. any thoughts?? same problem as this guy who started the thread.:confused: [/B]
Yeah I got deletes and the holes weren't plugged where the rod went through holding the throttle blades. The holes between cylinders were causing the problem.

Regarding your car I don't know the altitude/temp etc.. of your car but 96 is really poor if you are at a sealevel track. Maybe you have sticking IMRCs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
DSharp said:
Yeah I got deletes and the holes weren't plugged where the rod went through holding the throttle blades. The holes between cylinders were causing the problem.

Regarding your car I don't know the altitude/temp etc.. of your car but 96 is really poor if you are at a sealevel track. Maybe you have sticking IMRCs?
i too have deletes as well. what did you use to seal the holes? i'm outhere in vegas where the temps get to about 110 average during the summer. and we're not a sealevel track that much i know. my fuel pressure drops and jumps around when i rev the motor. i'm replacing the fp hoping that's the cause of my lost horses. when i hit the upper rpms it start bogging erractically. sometimes it'll do it sometimes it won't at different rpms which leads me to believe mechanical failure.:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
JB Weld worked great for me. I didn't use the quick dry so I wouldn't be hurried. After they dried I took off any excess with my rotary tool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
thanks bro, if the fuel pump thing doesn't work then it's time for some breaking and retracking my steps. thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DSharp said:
People love to appear as the car with the best times with little mods. In my experience at the track I have not seen 01 Cobras running 13.1s at 105 with the mods that guys listed and STOCK GEARS! He may have been lying.
The guy who ran the 13.1 - 13.2 @ 104 is going to drive my car tonight or Sunday (weather permitting), and I'm going to drive his as well. We'll see if he can pull a 12.XX out of my car, and if I run 14.XX in his. He has ~ 4 years of racing experience, while I only have ~ 4 months (I hadn't been to a track since Englishtown in the mid-80's!!! :eek: ), so I'm kinda expecting him to run a 12.XX.

We'll see what happens....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
thats a smart move, let us know how it turns out.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top