Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know who makes the 13" Cone Air filter? Running a 12" now and want bigger.... I have googled and browsed K&N and S&B and could not find it. Not sure if I am just over looking it.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
You don't necessarily need a longer filter. Call S&B and ask about their filters with a taller pleat height. It's all about increasing filter surface area. A taller pleat accomplishes this just like a longer filter does.

·
Registered
971 Posts
JLT made one for David King :tip:

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn thanks everyone. I need to make 100% sure the amount of room I have to work with. The 12" may be all I can do but I will check on the taller pleats.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok went through S&B website on Universal air filters and the best that they have is 12" with 0.5" pleat which is what I am running now. Could not find where I could custom design one.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Ok went through S&B website on Universal air filters and the best that they have is 12" with 0.5" pleat which is what I am running now. Could not find where I could custom design one.
Call them and ask. I know that they are working on filters with taller pleats than 0.5in.

·
Registered
758 Posts
GodStang

What size inlet are you using ?? I have a OLD style "BIG MOUTH " S & B (12" x 7.25" x 5.25" ) with a metal adapter from 6" to 4"!!!:tip:

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am thinking its the 12"x4". The inlet is not my problem its the surface area. It flows roughly 1332.62 cfm according to the data I found. I need to increase that by about 300cfm. Now maybe these numbers do not take into account for pleat height. I will get in contact with S&B and see what they say.

·
Registered
758 Posts
GodStang

The NORMAL 12" S & B filter is (12" x 6" x 5.25" ) !!! The "BIG MOUTH" is about 1" OD larger.:tip:

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Response I got:
Joshua - you should be running a filter with a minimum surface area of 1000 sq. in., the filter you currently have (RO872) has only 681 sq. in.
If you have the room here is a filter (CR-90026) that will fit the 4" MAF housing. It has a surface area of 1035.2 sq. in. utilizing a pleat depth of 1.200", a base diameter of 8" and a top diameter of 7" and is 8" long.
Next week we will be releasing a new line of large universal filters that have a pleat depth of 1.750", we will have a 4" diameter flange (R1262) that has a base diameter of 9", a top diameter of 7" and is also 8' long with the surface area increased to 1181.25 sq. in. However it looks like you will not have the room for a 9" diameter base, so your best bet is the CR-90026. This CR-90026 is our version of a replacement filter for one of AFE's diesel intake kits, notice how much we improved the flow over the AFE filter.
http://www.sbfilters.com/products/product_display.php?part_number=CR-90026

·
Registered
756 Posts
Interesting info.

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
I don't want to hijack, but can anyone suggest the correct filter size for a pullied Eaton, with light mods?
I think I'm going to buy a shield and an adapter to connect a filter and just run it like that (stock inlet tube).

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I don't want to hijack, but can anyone suggest the correct filter size for a pullied Eaton, with light mods?
I think I'm going to buy a shield and an adapter to connect a filter and just run it like that (stock inlet tube).
The only way to match the "correct" air filter to the rest of the cars setup is to know the flow rate of the blower/engine.

No one can tell you the correct filter for "a pullied Eaton, with light mods".

--Joe

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
The only way to match the "correct" air filter to the rest of the cars setup is to know the flow rate of the blower/engine.

No one can tell you the correct filter for "a pullied Eaton, with light mods".

--Joe
So you're saying that out of all the setups that have been tried and tested on this board, that there's no general consensus on the average filter size needed for a stock long block, with a 2.75 upper Eaton? No one has a general idea of the flow rate on that setup?
I find that somewhat difficult to believe, I'm not looking for exactitude, simply a general idea of what is needed to make sure I don't create a restriction.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you're saying that out of all the setups that have been tried and tested on this board, that there's no general consensus on the average filter size needed for a stock long block, with a 2.75 upper Eaton? No one has a general idea of the flow rate on that setup?
I find that somewhat difficult to believe, I'm not looking for exactitude, simply a general idea of what is needed to make sure I don't create a restriction.
I know exactly what you flow but the general consensus is 9" S&B is great and if you can added a 12" thats even better.

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
I know exactly what you flow but the general consensus is 9" S&B is great and if you can added a 12" thats even better.
:tip:Much appreciated, is there any reason that S&B seems to be the general choice?

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:tip:Much appreciated, is there any reason that S&B seems to be the general choice?
S&B comes with JLT and most are running JLT. I also like S&B over K&N. Just cause but if you can find it in K&N it will do you fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts