Reverse Lockout Solenoid - Tremec T56 - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

This is unfortunate, its not really a big deal its just one of those little things thats gonna drive me nuts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array

What is the problem with just installing a spring that provides enough pressure for your liking? Fairly simple process.

Quote Originally Posted by tmhutch View Post
    What is the problem with just installing a spring that provides enough pressure for your liking? Fairly simple process.
    How do you mean?

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array

The reverse lockout solenoid provides resistance by using a heavy duty spring that pushes against the side of the shifter as you shove it towards reverse. The electrical part of the solenoid reduces that spring pressure so it is easy to get the shifter into reverse. Without the solenoid activated by a 12v source it is difficult to overcome the spring pressure. To make the T-56 reverse work like a normal transmission all a person has to do is modify the large spring that provides resistance in the lockout housing pictured below. Since yours is providing little resistance we have to assume it either does not exist or has been modified to provide too little resistance. Simply put a new spring in that provides the level of resistance that you prefer. If you like to slam 5th, you'll probably want more resistance. If you have girl arms you will probably want less resistance. You can purchase an aftermarket spring or replace the factory one and start by cutting off half a coil at a time until you achieve the resistance you want. 1.5 coils is equivalent to a stock TR-3650. You may want to remove 1 coil or less if you hit 5th hard.

Name:  T-56 Reverse Lockout.jpg
Views: 2425
Size:  60.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by tmhutch View Post
    The reverse lockout solenoid provides resistance by using a heavy duty spring that pushes against the side of the shifter as you shove it towards reverse. The electrical part of the solenoid reduces that spring pressure so it is easy to get the shifter into reverse. Without the solenoid activated by a 12v source it is difficult to overcome the spring pressure. To make the T-56 reverse work like a normal transmission all a person has to do is modify the large spring that provides resistance in the lockout housing pictured below. Since yours is providing little resistance we have to assume it either does not exist or has been modified to provide too little resistance. Simply put a new spring in that provides the level of resistance that you prefer. If you like to slam 5th, you'll probably want more resistance. If you have girl arms you will probably want less resistance. You can purchase an aftermarket spring or replace the factory one and start by cutting off half a coil at a time until you achieve the resistance you want. 1.5 coils is equivalent to a stock TR-3650. You may want to remove 1 coil or less if you hit 5th hard.

Name:  T-56 Reverse Lockout.jpg
Views: 2425
Size:  60.7 KB
    Well I'll look into that for sure then. Thanks for the info.

Junior Member Array

Careful guys......D&D transmission (where I got my T56 transmission) told me guys have damaged their trannies by forcing the lever into gear - also there was one guy that had cut a coil off, but the issue is there is something inside that wears out....I can't remember the name of the part, but inside there is a part that you wear down if you force it in.

Problem: To get the effort down to where you won't damage the trans, you have to cut so much coil off of it that you lose the lockout effect. Call D&D and ask them before you try this because you will damage the transmission. I bought a kit from a company that makes an after market controller. I forget the name but saw this post I figured I would add it in. It's either Samco or Samoco I forget. If you pm me I will look for the receipt - it's around here somewhere.

Senior Member Array

Went three years with mine and no problems. Fortunately Mark Olso has come up with a solution that doesnt involve messing with the spring or installing a hokey switch.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/svt-...a-testers.html

10. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123