Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Holy markup's batman!

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  torched05stang 
#1 ·
Called the local Ford by my work this morning, i needed a OEM belt tensioner, they said they dont carry in stock, but can get it by lunch! Awesome i tell him to order it. i stop in there around 1:30 and no one is at the parts counter except one mechanic (i know from the past) waiting for some parts himself. I BS with him and see a box the size of a box checks come in, i look at it, it says tensioner, so i say oh this must be mine, but the invoice laying there for it said 31.52 and the guy qouted me seventy something when i called? i opened it and yes it is my part, i get rung up and after tax it's over $78! over 100% markup!:mad2: I tell the guy you mark parts up that much? he said he can charge me more! What a dick, i'm finding a new place to buy my OEM parts! I wonder if the Ford dealers here can give me a better price, but i really needed this part ASAP, getting the car tuned with a blower Saturday

#4 ·
Yeah complete rip off. I called for a rear right brake line, the rubber one. It was $25 from advance, and $149 from Ford, complete rip off.

#5 ·
yep, thanks to Late Model Resto not having the mounting hardware for my 03 cobra sideskirts which would have cost me $30 in stock, I had to go to the local Ford Dealership, and order from them. Can you believe 22 plastic pieces of mounting hardware cost $82!!!!!!!?????? ridiculous. what's worse is they're special order parts, and I can't take what I don't use back.

#7 ·
I bought a set of valve cover bolts from my local Ford dealer . They were $4.25 each .
If you think car parts have huge mark ups . You should see what they do with clothes .

#8 ·
ahhh...the "stealership" gets another one! I hate going to the dealer for any parts. F a bunch of that!

Jr.

#9 ·
I agree 100% that there are great vendors on this site ( Thank God ) Even though I live
in Alberta , Canada . I have purchased almost all of the parts for my car(s) from the good old U.S.A. Even with the $$ exchange and shipping . The prices are way less in
the U.S.

#11 ·
I worked for a few of the auto parts chains a few years back.

If you are a walk in and don't have a commercial account expect to pay a huge markup.

The gross profit percentage expected at say pep boys or advance is about 35%.

At say Napa or Carquest it is closer to 28%. But don't expect to get better prices at these places unless you have an account. If you just walk in they will hose you.

All are still cheaper than the dealers though.

Steve at Tousley is the only person I buy ford parts from anymore.

#12 ·
If you are a walk in and don't have a commercial account expect to pay a huge markup.

The gross profit percentage expected at say pep boys or advance is about 35%.

At say Napa or Carquest it is closer to 28%. But don't expect to get better prices at these places unless you have an account. If you just walk in they will hose you.

All are still cheaper than the dealers though.
+1 ON THE PROFIT CRAP .......For our Dealership ONLY........ My commish doesn't show it.

I work in a smaller Ford parts dept. We don't charge full retail(even though its MSRP..mfg suggested retail price)to most here.
BUT a dealer can make it any price they want to(again its suggested retail price)

I know that Napa is not as cheap as you might think. I've looked up many of their chassic parts and a lot of them retail for more than Ford. And my cost is usually is more than if I bought a Ford part also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.