Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Oil pump failure/ motor failure

14K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  aleborjas 
#1 ·
Well I made a pass and on the return lane I noticed my oil light was on, didnt hear anything till I just shut the motor down. Then we started it up with the hood up and the noise was in the valve train. Like if the lifters blead. Hopefully everything will be OK, we will pull the pan and cut the filter.. Maybe we can see if we can get away with replacing the Oil Pump. If the fluid is metallic then we might have bearing issues. And might have to possible cut the crank.
Well as far as the Stock Oil pump, IT SUCKS.
I know forensic steve has blew threw a few of them, what kind of damage was made?

#2 ·
The only reason people have been killing stock pumps is if they have debris getting thrown into them...

#12 ·
I believe that is the opposite. I think more are running the GT 500 pump than the reg ford pump with built motors.
I'm sorry to burst your bubble but that's just simply not true. It's the same pump, most just run the stock pump on built motors.

#19 ·
and that lack of oil pressure due to the failed pump, caused the dowell screws that hold the chain tensioner guides to break by the chains no longer having the right pressure on them. It also caused a follower to jump and scratch one of the cam lobes up

#22 ·
THAT suxs!!! Any other damage found?

#24 ·
proof the GT500 pump is NOT the same as a stock 3v pump with more testing

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10213

Fits 2005-09 Mustang 4.6L and 2007-09 SVT Mustang 5.4L
Stock replacement for 2007-09 SVT Mustang 5.4L
Highest volume and pressure production pump available for modular engines - 20 percent higher flow rate than a stock 4.6L 3V
Recommended for applications requiring higher volume and pressure
Pump can be used with 3V and 4V pickup tubes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.