Would -8AN be too small for oil supply?

+ Reply to Thread

Default Would -8AN be too small for oil supply?

Quick run down of the setup, is a modded 4v w/ a 3.4 and a Hi-Vol. Melling oil pump. I have everything remote mounted.

I bought the MM oil relocation system minus lines and fittings a while back because I wasn't exactly sure how I was planning on running the lines, because I have a Perma-cool oil cooler and Earls Thermostat in the system. I am about finished the car, and this is my last step to take. I pondered using -8, and instead thought of -10 since that is what MM uses for there kits. Would you guys think that the -8 would be fine since the ID is 7/16? -10 is only 9/16 ID, and I don't think that it will hurt anything. I just want some other opinions. This is mainly a cost thing, because I could save myself quite a bit w/ the -8.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Really good question. I kind of agree with you that the -8 shouldn't affect things that much. The pump controls volume and flow, so the orifice (-8 or -10) would essentially only affect velocity which in the oil system, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin04 View Post
    Really good question. I kind of agree with you that the -8 shouldn't affect things that much. The pump controls volume and flow, so the orifice (-8 or -10) would essentially only affect velocity which in the oil system, doesn't matter.
    I don't think that I should have anything to worry about, maybe if I had over 1,000 hp and I was running an extermal oil pump which pumped a ton more volume of oil. Being that this its only an 1/8 of overall diameter size then this will be fine. I could probably save myself in the neighbor hood of $100 in fittings and hoses. Anybody else have an opinion?

Also I might add that this will be a street driven car 90% of the time, and will never seen any roadcoarse action, but maybe some drag strip time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

I bought the MM relocation complete kit. There must of been a good reason that the kit included -10 line and fittings. They could of made the kit cheaper if they supplied -8, but instead they pick -10.
    I used -8 as my fuel supply line. If you actually measure the inside diameter of it, it's only 3/8".
    Think of it this way, if you blew your motor for trying to save a hundred bucks. Would it be really worth it.
    I wouldn't skimp out when it comes to lubrication life blood for the motor. But that just me.

nominal ID for the hose i bought (Fragola 3000 Series) states its 7/16. I appreciate your opinion, and I agree MM had to have a reason for -10, but maybe somebody has made -8 work. Thats what I'm looking for. I have -8 on my fuel rails as well.

I'm sure -6 would work too (isn't that what turbo feed line uses) and you would save even more money than -8.
    The smaller the line, the less volume of oil it will flow, being that oil has a much higher viscosity than fuel which makes it tougher to flow especially when cold. When you have your oil filter off, look at the size of the hole of that filter stud. It's much bigger than -8 size.
    That is probably why MM supplied -10 and that's borderline too small. Nascar guys are using -16 for their oil supply line.

Senior Member Array

YES -8 is too small

you're trying to flow VOLUME so you want MORE MORE MORE. -12 if you can fit it. -10 is the minimum.

but hey, its your engine. if you want to cheese out on the oil flow, might as well use a half-height filter too, rather than relocate. Its just the lifeblood of your engine, and does more work to cool it than the anti-freeze does...but hey...its your money...

on edit: i hope you increased your oil sump capacity with that high volume pump. a high volume pump doesn't get the oil back to the pan any sooner. sucking the sump dry is bad, mmkay...

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyGuy View Post
    YES -8 is too small

you're trying to flow VOLUME so you want MORE MORE MORE. -12 if you can fit it. -10 is the minimum.

but hey, its your engine. if you want to cheese out on the oil flow, might as well use a half-height filter too, rather than relocate. Its just the lifeblood of your engine, and does more work to cool it than the anti-freeze does...but hey...its your money...

on edit: i hope you increased your oil sump capacity with that high volume pump. a high volume pump doesn't get the oil back to the pan any sooner. sucking the sump dry is bad, mmkay...

Canton 7 qt. w/ windage tray. Thanks, i appreciate the input. I'm not trying to skimp by any means, because i've already dropped a ton of money into it, i'm just checking to see what ya'll would recommend. I'll look into -12 as well if you think thats what it really needs.

-12 is what I used.

Quote Originally Posted by fordfan View Post
    -12 is what I used.

Can you explain what you setup is?

-12 hose out of the karkraft external oil cooler adapter to a canton remote oil filter to a mocal oil thermostat (-12 in/out) back to the adapter on the block. -12 lines go from the oil thermostat to a mocal oil cooler. When the oil temp reaches 180 the thermostat opens flow to the oil cooler. It is aeroquip hose and I used the reusable aeroquip fittings. I bought an AN wrench set to use with the fittings.

Moderator Array

-10 is what I used... I bought the kit complete originally but I just got finished with redoing my relocation lines. I didn't like the way the lines ran and the braided stainless line is hard to route because it is so stiff. I replaced all my fittings/line with Earl's Ano-tuff fittings and Prolite 350 hose. It's routed better and I didn't have to run it in between the PS hard lines this time either

It is a little cheaper to buy -8AN fittings/line but as ShelbyGuy said -10 should be the minimum size you choose to use.

Shannon

Ok, thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the -10 shiznit today

16. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread