Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

5.4 4v in 94 Cobra

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Quin 
#1 ·
Heres what im looking at. Got a complete 99 Navi motor i wanna put in my 94. My question is what Im gonna need. What are your opinions about carbed sullivan intake or efi. What kind of tranny am i gonna need. Im thinking my computer harness will work but not sure. I dont know alot about mod engines. What kind of cams would you recommend for it. Sorry for all the questions but Im trying to do alot of research before i start buying parts and then find out it wont fit or anything like that. I have more questions but i will get to them later. Thanks.

#2 ·
Before we go and tell you what you do and do not need, lets figure out what the needs/purpose are.

How much power are you looking to make?
What is the purpose of the car? Street? Strip? Road Course/Auto X? A bit of each?

On the other hand:
To make things easier, you CAN use the stock 94 computer and harness, you will just need to convert to a distributor setup. Something that can be done by a DIYer, or bought in kit form (MMR racing).

K-member will need to be changd as well to a 96-04 unit, or modify some motor mounts to make it work in your existing K-member.

#3 ·
I will mainly use it for street use but i want to be able to run it on the track also. I would like to see about 400 Hp for now. eventually i want to be able to put a sc on it but that is gonna have to wait. Im just trying to figure out what kind of combination that ppl here can come up with to give me some opinions on where to go. I bought the car minus engine and tranny for 800. already have a 94 cobra computer and have a 96 k member. My roommate has alot of parts or has access to them. just need to know what im gonna need.

#4 ·
400 flywheel HP or rear wheel HP?

Its always easier to make the power with some boost with these mod motors.

Transmission wise, do you want to run an automatic or a manual?

If manual, then maybe a T56 from an 03/04 Cobra with upgraded parts, would be a nice choice. For an automatic, I guess your choice will narrow down to what you will use for electronics/computer, since things like the AODE or 4R70W are computer controlled, unless you spend the money for a non-electronic version...

Lots of choices on how to go about doing this kind of swap. Check out the Modular Conversions section of this site, to get some more ideas and how people are doing their swaps.

#5 ·
i want 400 rwhp. I have looked but havent really seen a set up for boost or i havent been looking long enough. I know its gonna take alot of money. I am getting a friends tranny. i believe he has a 3650 in it. I dont want an automatic. Thanks for trying to give me ideas.

#6 ·
I know its gonna take alot of money.
This is the key right here. Whatever you think it's going to cost you, double or triple it. $ valves are expensive to build. You are going to have to change over to a hydroboost setup or go with a manual brake conversion. You will most likely need to shim the k-member with a 1/2" frame spacer. Plus that is a heavy son of a gun. Do what you wish but I'd stay with a pushrod motor.

#9 ·
Well i think i have come to a conclusion. I will need to rebuild my engine. Lent it to an exgf for about a year and she ragged it out. I know! I know! Im stupid! So I will rebuild my 302 and run with it and get the parts slowly for the 5.4. I already have all the parts from my 91 vert. I'm thinking i will s/c it but i will have to lower my compression if I'm correct. I have 69 351w heads with an e cam. I cant remember my cr but i would like to drive it sometime. Miss driving a Stang!

#10 ·
thanks

I have to admit that I don't get on here much anymore, but I am glad you decided to put off the swap to the 5.4 DOHC.

Personally, I knew that my limitations are both time and money, but I decided to take a "long-term project" approach and try to make a nice 5.4 DOHC car out of my 95 GT last year. I am less than happy and being a "car guy" and only having my 97 Explorer to drive makes every day depressing.

If I would have put a 302 back into my 95 GT last winter, I would be doing what I originally bought the car for (DRIVING IT !!!!!). Instead, I have it covered in the garage and contemplate selling it off everytime I walk past it to do the laundry.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my car and the theme I wanted (Colletti Boss), I just don't enjoy the fact that I started with a non-Modular body, decided I just had to have a 5.4 instead of the easier 4.6, and have been snagged by every wiring issue known to man (with electrical being my weakest skill area).

#13 ·
3-valve = bad idea. keep the numbers even and you'll have a better time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.