Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Moduluar 32v in a Volvo 240. with pics!

21K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Eatonualive281 
#1 ·
Lets throw in some pics of the Volvo Cobra build. This is as far as I know the first time a 4.6 32valve has been put in a Volvo 240.
The car it self is a 88 Volvo 240 originally equipped with a b230 engine and manual trans.

The engine is a 4.6 4v from a 95 Lincoln Mark VIII. Then we bolted an intake and plastic imrc delete from a 96 Cobra on it (that shuld raise the hp numbers from 280 to about 300 and give 1000 cool points). Than it´l be backed up with a Tremec TR-3650 5 spd manual transmission from 2001 Mustang Cobra. :cool:

The good'ol Volvo

The new bad ass power plant.

First the old engine was removed. Than the 4.6 was trial fitted in the hood.
We had to remove the bulky vacuum brake booster and us hydrobooster setup from a mustang to clear the engine.

It seemded to fit almost nicely. But it´s sure going to be a tight fit!

Looking up between the headers and the frame from underneath the car, looks like there is enough clearance to fit 2.5" exhaust on each side.

Then with the engine and gearbox in, we positioned the engine about 15mm to the passenger side to gain some space where the steering shaft exits the firewall.

When we were happy with all alignments we build the engine mounts which bolt into the original engine mounting holes in the k-member and modified the x-member to clear the transmission.

The k-member had to be cut in about 1 1/2 inch to clear the oil pan.

We had a little clearance issue where the steering shaft exits the firewall so we had to move the lower end of it about 1" to the left (from inside car) an about 1" down. But that's barely noticeable in the steering wheel.

We had to modify the driver side inner fender with the biggest hammer to clear the brake master cylender, as it had to be moved about 1-2" to the left (from inside car) with the hydrolic brake booster to clear the engine.

Engine compartment was then painted gloss black for cleaner looks.

This is our current status. Next up we will install the engine and trans for (hopefully) the last time, and start the wiring process. :eek:ogle: I hope you like it!

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
I´m having a litle issue with my motor. It floods at start up, and doesnt fire up until I shut the fuel pump off. Then it starts up and I can put the fuel pump on and it runs steady. The motor has been sitting for few years, is it possible that a fuel injector could be stuck at open or something like that? I´we checked the fuel pressure in the fuel rail and its about 45psi. The fuel pump is a Summit racing pump, with 43 pgh flow rate and max pressure 85psi.

#12 ·
cry me a river :rofl2:

It's as different as you can get and I like it. I would have preferred a V70 Sport Comvee though. Those are so cool looking for a box with turbine wheels.

What are you using for a computer? Are you using the 95 Mk VIII harness and computer?

I'm thinking about trying the 96-98 Cobra intake on my 94 Mk VIII motor. I don't knwo what the computer will do.

Sounds like your cranking fuel needs to be cut back. I think that can be done in a chip just as they get rid of the hot start flooring the pedal issue with bigger injectors. If an injector was stuck, it'd be obviously flooding the cylinder. Check the plugs and the oil for gas sitting on top. If so, you do have a sticking injector issue but i don't see it as the issue. Does the fuel pressure drop low when you start it and rev it? I would think you'd run the rails low with a stuck injector.

Good luck and keep it up.

Dave
thank you for that info, when i come to think about it it cant be a stuck injector becouse that would fill up the cylender before the engine is cranked, just as soon as the fuel pump is on.
Yes im using the 95 mark ecu and harness. You can put the cobra intake on with no broblems beside the irmc plates are vacuum controlled in pre 96 mark viii, but electronically controlled in the cobra. I just deleted them to eliminate that problem.

#11 ·
It's as different as you can get and I like it. I would have preferred a V70 Sport Comvee though. Those are so cool looking for a box with turbine wheels.

What are you using for a computer? Are you using the 95 Mk VIII harness and computer?

I'm thinking about trying the 96-98 Cobra intake on my 94 Mk VIII motor. I don't knwo what the computer will do.

Sounds like your cranking fuel needs to be cut back. I think that can be done in a chip just as they get rid of the hot start flooring the pedal issue with bigger injectors. If an injector was stuck, it'd be obviously flooding the cylinder. Check the plugs and the oil for gas sitting on top. If so, you do have a sticking injector issue but i don't see it as the issue. Does the fuel pressure drop low when you start it and rev it? I would think you'd run the rails low with a stuck injector.

Good luck and keep it up.

Dave

#14 ·
awesome swap, I personally love it....as for the engine you took out, I have to ask, dd it have the B230F or the B234F cylinder head?(I'm always keeping an eye out for a B234F head for my SVO)

#16 ·
its quite a bump up in power and torque then...more than double

#20 ·
sounds like its having a bit of trouble, but still sounds awesome...straight pipes? regardless, its a hell of a sleeper

#24 · (Edited)
It´s been a awhile since last update!
The old Volvo has been in the garage and gone through some changes and upgrades over the last 5 years;
9" rear installed, 02 Mustang GT brakes installed all around,
Engine has been rebuild, and built for boost with MMR 4.75 Crank, MMR Rods and pistons. 9.2:1 Compression.
Vortech V2 Intercooled,
McLeod twin disk clutch,
Holley HP EFI,
and more and more and more...

Car Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Engine being rebuilt

Gas Engineering Automotive tire Electrical wiring Scientific instrument

Twin Aeromotive 340 fuel pump setup, e85 ready

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

Vortech V2, water to air intercooled. It´s compact in there.

Wheel Tire Sky Car Land vehicle

Grandpa with an attitude!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.