Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

battery corroding

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Bartholomew1 
#1 · (Edited)
I am having to clean my battery every two weeks or so, it keeps getting corroded so badly.

Could someone look at this picture and tell me if I am putting the little wire/cable on the correct bolt? I am not talking about the positive and negative posts. there is another post next to it that apparently is for nothing that takes about a 10 metric socket. I was thinking maybe I put it on the wrong post to begin with and was shorting out or reversing the polarity of the wires or something.

any other ideas about whats causing my battery to corrode would help. an electrical problem should show up as a CEL shouldnt it?

#3 ·
thanks but today at noon it started fine then three hours later it was dead again. Is the top cable in the picture above going to the right post/bolt, or should it go to the one to the right of it? that would cause it to reverse polarity at least I would think

#4 · (Edited)
would someone please look under his

hood for me please and let me know the answer to the question in this thread about the smaller cable- that is, do I have it connected to the correct bolt?

I would just find someone with an s197 and ask (haynes doesn't say) but the closest town that has one is 20 miles away and I dont hvae time to get there for another week

#5 ·
follow the cable, if it runs to the fuse box, and to the alternator, its the positive. The battery is marked + - right?

#6 ·
i hope youre online still

I dont mean terminal, I mean post or bolt.
there are two bolts, one metric 8 and the other 10. you can see them in my picture. I once took the batttery out, and put the small cable on the wrong bolt and it messed up my electrical system. I am afraid I may have done it again. I just need to know which bolt to secure the cable to

thanks for responding

#7 ·
#8 ·
Any update?

#9 ·
update

comparing to the pics you posted (thanks) I had the little cable on right. I cleaned the terminals, put back on and tried to recharge the battery, but it wouldnt hold. Since its only 6 months old, I dont understand. I took out the battery, but since I am coaching football, by the time I get home from Balko I am too tired to drive to guymon during the week I will take the battery to Walmart today and exchange it.

#10 ·
Grab a tube of die-electric grease while you are there and use it generously on the terminals

#12 · (Edited)
Well the photo which you attached is not opening but you have to do few steps for cleaning you battery terminals.
1. loose the cables from the battery carefully.
2. Put some baking soda on the battery terminals.
3. Take tooth brush and dip it in water then rub on the terminals where you already put the baking soda.
4. Rub it about 2 minutes and then clean them with a dry cloth.
you will see that all the Corrosion will cleaned. Best of luck

gold coast car hire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.