Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

01 Cobra Won't Start - No Fuel Pressure

37K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  rmsmeltz 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Cobra with just over 4,000 miles. I bought it new in 2001 and it is primarily a show car. I run it about once a month just to keep it going. Last week, I started it up and it ran rough. Thinking it was from not running for a while, I started to back out of the driveway and it quit. I put a code reader on it and it showed P0190 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction. I drained the tank, replaced the fuel and fuel filter, checked the fuse, cleared the code and tried to start it. No dice. Put the code reader back on and got a P1233 Manufacturer Contrl Fuel Air Metering. Connected a fuel pressure gauge and no fuel pressure at the rails. Cannot hear fuel pump run but I can hear the relay activate and deactivate in the CCRM. Battery is good and the engine turns smooth as usual. Any suggestions on where I should go from here, besides the dealer?

#2 ·
I have a 2001 Cobra with just over 4,000 miles. I bought it new in 2001 and it is primarily a show car. I run it about once a month just to keep it going. Last week, I started it up and it ran rough. Thinking it was from not running for a while, I started to back out of the driveway and it quit. I put a code reader on it and it showed P0190 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction. I drained the tank, replaced the fuel and fuel filter, checked the fuse, cleared the code and tried to start it. No dice. Put the code reader back on and got a P1233 Manufacturer Contrl Fuel Air Metering. Connected a fuel pressure gauge and no fuel pressure at the rails. Cannot hear fuel pump run but I can hear the relay activate and deactivate in the CCRM. Battery is good and the engine turns smooth as usual. Any suggestions on where I should go from here, besides the dealer?
You said you can not hear the pumps run?? Before you head down to your local ford dealer be sure its not the pump thats gone bad. It almost sounds as if this is the problem. I would check there first.

A320

#3 ·
I'm working my way to the fuel pump. I suspected that too, but it's not like I;ve pumped a lot of fuel through it with only 4000 miles on the car. There are some point-to-point checks I can do on the CCRM and the FPCM and work my way back to the fuel pump. As near as I can tell, the fuel pump relay is embedded in the CCRM - it's not a discrete unit like previous years. Do you know where the FPCM is physically located? Based on the illustration I have, it's in the rear but it could be under the car behind the gas tank, above the gas tank, or in the trunk somewhere. It's not real clear where it's at.

#5 ·
Question: When you got the code on the FRPS why did you go to the tank and not the fuel rail and change the sensor? And the Fuel pump relay module is in the trunk on the driver's side.

#6 ·
Here's why I didn't change the sensor and went to the tank first. With only 4K original miles, I suspected a simple problem. Since I never let the tank get down to less than half full before topping it off, I never completely emptied the tank in 8 years, therefore I initially suspected bad or contaminated gas or a possible clogged fuel filter. These were the simplest probable causes to eliminate. With known good fuel and filter, I connected a fuel pressure gauge to the schrader valve on the fuel rail and had no fuel pressure. According to the Ford workshop manual, I should have about 30+ psi with key on, engine off. Also, according to the diagrams in the manual, the fuel pump relay is in the CCRM. The inertia fuel shutoff switch is in the trunk on the drivers side, and I already checked it and it is good and has not been tripped.

#7 ·
You need to read your manual one more time, especially page 25-6 in the wiring diagrams. It shows the fuel pump driver module that is fed data from the PCM to run the pump; power comes through the inertia switch and the CCRM. If you don't have the Ford service DVD, shoot me your e-mail address and I'll send you the page showing the wiring diagram.

#8 ·
I do have the Ford DVD and I have been using it. When key is on, I have 12V at pin 5 of the CCRM , 12V at both pins of the inertia switch with the cable connected, and 12V at pin 9 of the FPDM with the cable disconnected from the module. I know the FPDM gets data from the PCM during operation but is there any data fed to the FPDM from the PCM to initially pressurize the fuel rails? Do you know what I should have at pins 3 and 10 of the FPDM when the cable is connected to the FPDM and the key is on? Can I get to C420 without dropping the tank?

#9 ·
The fuel rail should maintain fuel pressure from the PPRV in the tank.
Check for voltage across pins 3 and 10 of the FPDM. I don't think you can see C420 w/o dropping the tank some. If you have voltage across 3&10 and the pump doesn't run...it's dead. You might disconnect C451 and apply 12v to pins 3&10 to double check the pump.

#11 ·
I already checked 3 to ground and got .1V. I checked 10 to ground and got 12.3V. I checked between 3 and 10 with the FPDM connected and got just north of 12V. I assume the pump varies in speed based on the differential between 3 and 10. I guess the differential is determined by the PCM feeding data to the FPDM. If I apply a 12V source between 3 and 10 (with the FPDM disconnected) to double check the pump , which would be the negative - 3 or 10? I am assuming 3. I'm not looking forward to dropping the tank to get to the fuel pump.

#13 ·
I really appreciate all your help. I am going to attempt to verify the fuel pump but I can't do any more today. I'll let you know how that turns out. Meanwhile, I'm going to start making preparations for dropping the tank. Thanks 99blkcobravert.

#15 ·
It does seem the fuel pump is the problem. I was able to get to C420, disconnected it, and measured resistance between the BRN/PNK and BLK/RED which should go directly to the pump motor windings. The resistance was infinite (i.e open circuit). Picked up a new Ford pump module and checked resistance and it read 1.4 ohms. Pulled the tank today but didn't get to the pump replacement because of tornado watches in the area.

If a new pump doesn't fix the problem, I think it might be the PCM. If I have to replace the PCM, do I have to have it programmed by Ford?

#16 ·
Usually you buy the PCM with the stock catch code in it from Ford. If you do need one, call Steve @ Tousley Ford for cost +10% @ 800-328-9552.

#17 ·
Well, I replaced the fuel pump, the car is back together, and it runs as good as ever. Removing the tank grommet was a bear! The tank went in a lot easier than it came out. I turned the key on once without starting and got 10lbs of pressure, turned it off and on again and the pressure went to 20 lbs. The third time I turned the key on, I got 40 lbs. Went to start and it cranked right up, let it run for about 5 minutes and checked the codes and got none. It seems funny that I initially got a P0190 when the car initially stopped running. After clearing the code and trying to start without success, I then got a P1233. I would have expected to get an error code directly related to the fuel pump like P0230, P0231, etc. but no such luck. Anyway, it's back in operation. Many thanks again to 99blkcobravert.

#19 ·
1996 Mustang Cobra fuel problem

It sounds like you guys are very knowledgeable and have access to manuals ect.
Maybe you can help with a fuel problem on my 96 cobra.

The vehicle is a low mileage daily driver (60k miles) and was running fine until this weekend. Now it wont start. The battery and starter are fine so I suspect a fuel problem. I can't hear the pump running so I suspect a bad fuse or relay.

Does anyone have access to a wiring diagram for the 96 cobra?
Where is the fuel pump relay located on this vehicle?

Thanks,
-JC

#20 ·
I don't have anything specific for the 96, but I am led to believe the fuel pump relay is under the driver's seat on years earlier than mine, but I can't say for certain. Mine is integrated into the Constant Control Relay Module located in the right front fender well, but I am not sure about the 96. Also, make sure you check your inertial switch. This should be located in the trunk near the left rear tail light. There should be an opening to press the reset button if it tripped, but it's not likely unless the car was jarred. Don't rule out the fuel pump just yet. That's the way mine acted when the pump went out. I can give you wiring diagrams for an 01 but I'm not sure it would help you.

#21 ·
Ccrm

Thanks for the advice.
I have read some mixed information as to whether my vehicle has the Constant Control Relay Module. If the 96 does have this module, do I need to replace the whole thing, or can I swap an individual relay?

I will also check under the drivers seat for the relay.

I already ruled out the simple things like the inertia switch.

Thanks,
-JC

#22 ·
Unfortunately, the CCRM is a single replaceable unit. If anything malfunctions in it (e.g. the fuel pump relay section) the whole thing must be replaced. On a positive note, based on my research, the CCRM does not have a high failure rate. Because I only had 4000 miles on my car, the last thing I expected was the fuel pump so I started tracing the voltage from the fuse, to and through the CCRM, to and through the FPCM (Fuel Pump Control Module) to the fuel pump connector. The round connector for the fuel pump was located under the rear of the car, between the tank and the rear bumper. The FPCM was located inside the trunk behind the trunk panel on the left rear. Again, this is on an 01 Cobra. I can't advise you on the presence or location on a 96.

#24 ·
96 Mustangs have a return style fuel system...no FPDM. Check the fuel pressure regulator on the driver's side of the fuel rail. And the fuel pump for any noise that it is running when the key is on.

#25 ·
2001 Cobra no fuel pressure

hi there
this has to be the best forum exchange that I have seen yet. Kudos to both of you. Like you, I have a 01 ragtop that I also bought new and has 10K on it. I take it out of the garage 1 or 2 times a year and take it on a long road trip (hence the high miles) . Today, December 26th, 2010, It would crank but run. I checked a few things including plugging in my computer (no error codes) and checked the fuel pressure at the injector port (zero reading). I have all 3 volumes of the manual in hard copy. checked the obvious ( inertia shut off switch, etc no luck. Googled the problem and found your post. following your threads and great direction as to where to look and where to check voltages in the manual, I was able to determine that my pump was also going out. I went a step further by energizing the pump directly with 12 volts at 2 amps. Nothing. At 8 amps ( I was using a battery charger as the power source) the pump came on. I reattached the wiring and it ran for a few minutes when the pump stopped working again. I was measuring a constant voltage to the pump at all times. I re-energized the pump again and like before, nothing. A new pump is going in tomorrow (weather permitting) .

Thanks again

rkmengineering

#26 ·
ok, so I am a little late to this thread.. Today my 01 cobra would not start. No warning, last time I ran it was a month ago and was running fine. I bought it brand new June 6th, 2001 with 1 mile on it and I now have 56k. My question for you is, how do I know what number pin they are in the connectors? I looked in the connector but did not see any numbers. I used to have the service DVD but it got stollen along with my laptop a few years back. I tried to be smart and pull the plug between the rear bumper and the tank to get a reading, but only had .5 volts to one of the 7 pins. I have no fuel pressure at the rails and do not hear the pump like I normally do. I will check between the FPDM and IFS tomorrow but without knowing what pins are number 3 and 10 it may be a moot point. Thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.