Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Cam degree article

15K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  davidwilsoon 
#1 ·
Cam degree article, please critique. I wrote this as after 10 years of modulars I have never seen it written down to where anybody could understand how and what is needed to do it.

Article on cam degree link

#4 ·
Great write up, we need more post like this! I stuck it too.

#9 ·
Great write-up ! One item that I think would be useful would be this special socket made by Comp Cams that can be used to turn the crankshaft (either direction without messing up the degree wheel setting).
It is for a small block Chevy, but has a 1.255" ID and 3/16" keyway that fits the modular motor crank snout. It has a knurled outer "nut" that will hold the degree wheel (the Comp degree wheel fits correctly), and has a hex set screw to lock it on the crankshaft. This is easier than trying to weld a washer to a degree wheel and then trying to "lock" it into place perfectly with an impact socket. Check it out...

Attachments

#15 ·
You likely understand, but always do the exhaust cams first, since they are the driven cams. Then do the intake cams.

Another hint... once you have set up the cam degree wheel with your identified location for Top Dead Center on #1 cylinder, the degree wheel will also be indicating TDC for #6 cylinder, only 360 degrees off. So, after setting the cams on the passenger side (#1 side), which is what 99% of people tend to do, just turn the crank one revolution and you are in the ballpark for setting the driver's side cams, using the #6 cylinder exhaust and intake cam lobes.

#21 ·
Well after really doing a bunch at one time I have learned the cams have more issues than the gears. I just did a set of cams that were supposed to be 110 and found 102 and 112. The 102 of this monster cam had the valve into the piston even with a piston notch.

#25 ·
Awesome Job Nick.

I been lookin for someone to post an article like this.

#27 ·
sweet mystics

#33 ·
This guy (Nick) is something man, I stopped by his shop for some gaskets and such. While I was there I took a brief walk threw the shop it is insane, The level & quality he takes his work. He has a engine set up just to time cams, I was showed a CNC port and then Nick was paid to clean the machines work up, Its just nuts. And between Nick and one of his employee's/entrepreneur Jordan you can get the badest set of heads, and a insane block.

Mickey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.