03 Cobra and moser 8.8 axle

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Default 03 Cobra and moser 8.8 axle

    I just bought an 03 cobra about a month ago and it has a moser 8.8 axle 31 spline in it. I'm not sure i know what that means. I think it means it no longer has IRS right? And if thats the case, would there be a problem putting 10.5" rims in the back and not have to worry about spacers, extended lugs, and the normal problems that come with that and the IRS?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array Smacked_in_ATL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    169

    Default

    You have a built solid axle. No more IRS. Just look under your gas tank and if you don't see exhaust pipes then you don't have the IRS. Do you know what gear is in it? Any wheel designed for a 99-04 Mustang will fit fine, but you would need about a 3/8" spacer to make them fit flush.

    You don't have to worry about wheel hop, especially if you have aftermarket control arms. Do you know if you do?

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array soap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CobraRedfire03 View Post
    I just bought an 03 cobra about a month ago and it has a moser 8.8 axle 31 spline in it. I'm not sure i know what that means. I think it means it no longer has IRS right? And if thats the case, would there be a problem putting 10.5" rims in the back and not have to worry about spacers, extended lugs, and the normal problems that come with that and the IRS?
    Yes the car should have a solid axle, just look under the car, the difference is pretty obvious.

    No problem putting 10.5" wheels, actually easier than if it did still have the IRS, for reasons you stated.

    --Joe

  5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Array Senkak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    4,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CobraRedfire03 View Post
    I just bought an 03 cobra about a month ago and it has a moser 8.8 axle 31 spline in it. I'm not sure i know what that means. I think it means it no longer has IRS right? And if thats the case, would there be a problem putting 10.5" rims in the back and not have to worry about spacers, extended lugs, and the normal problems that come with that and the IRS?
    Congrats on you new car and welcome to the site!
    Sit back, get a cold drink and be prepared to read a lot.
    There is a ton of great info here and many people the are happy to help.
    Aside from the solid axle do you know what other mods you have?
    Post a picture.

  7. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soap View Post
    Yes the car should have a solid axle, just look under the car, the difference is pretty obvious.

    No problem putting 10.5" wheels, actually easier than if it did still have the IRS, for reasons you stated.

    --Joe
    so would i have to have spacers and such or could i just like put them on lol? I'm not sure what kind of control arms it has. also to answer someones question here are most of the mods i can think of

    Pulleys, 3.73 Gears, Injectors, K&N Intake, Snow Performance Boost Cooler, Battery Relocation Kit, 3.5" Cobra R Hood, Moser 8.8 Axle, 31 Spline, Auburn Locker, Spec Stage 5 Clutch, SLP Performance Package, Headers, Exhaust, X-Pipes...etc. Diablo Predator tuner, gauge pod with boost gauge and digital rpm/shift light gauge, short shifter.

    here is a pic, dunno if it will work or not but ill give it a shot.

    Last edited by CobraRedfire03; 11-09-2009 at 06:40 PM.

  8. #6
    Senior Member Array Senkak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    4,061

    Default

    Very nice!
    I think if you waxed the horse trailer it might match your car better.

  9. #7
    Senior Member Array posi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    3,032

    Default

    ^Now that's funny!


    OP have fun with the car and welcome to modularfords.com

  10. #8
    Senior Member Array soap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CobraRedfire03 View Post
    so would i have to have spacers and such or could i just like put them on lol?
    Depends on the backspacing/offset the 10.5" wheel you choose. Just take some measurements yourself to know if you do or not.

    --Joe

  11. #9

    Default

    Want a IRS lol..

  12. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Senkak View Post
    Very nice!
    I think if you waxed the horse trailer it might match your car better.
    lol thanks man.

    also wanted to put different rims on it. I want black chrome just not sure what style i want. You guys got any opinions? its between fr500, 95 cobra r, and 03 cobra style. All black chrome of course.
    Last edited by CobraRedfire03; 11-09-2009 at 08:35 PM.

  13. #11
    Senior Member Array vidmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brick, NJ
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    welcome and nice lookin cobra!

    I just want to give you a heads up since you have a meth kit on the car, is that car tuned to run on meth all the time or it have multiple tunes? I just don't want to see you blow it up if the meth tank runs dry!!

  14. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vidmaster View Post
    welcome and nice lookin cobra!

    I just want to give you a heads up since you have a meth kit on the car, is that car tuned to run on meth all the time or it have multiple tunes? I just don't want to see you blow it up if the meth tank runs dry!!
    Thanks man! its tuned all the time, i check it normally

  15. #13
    Senior Member Array vidmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brick, NJ
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CobraRedfire03 View Post
    Thanks man! its tuned all the time, i check it normally
    cool man! just lookin out good luck with it and welcome to the boards again

  16. #14
    GearBanger Extraordinaire Array scary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,006

    Default

    welcome aboard nice car

  17. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vidmaster View Post
    cool man! just lookin out good luck with it and welcome to the boards again
    Thank you much!

  18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. 99-04 31 spline moser axle
    By medrick in forum 1996-2004 Mustang Classifieds
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-16-2014, 04:30 AM
  2. 31 spline moser axle
    By kweb288 in forum Drivetrain Parts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 03:37 PM
  3. Wtb: Moser Axle Decals
    By F8L BYT in forum Drivetrain Parts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 07:09 PM
  4. moser axle problem....i think
    By BlueBossS197 in forum 1996 - 2004 Mustang GT
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2008, 05:00 PM
  5. moser axle problems
    By 1CRZHRS in forum 1996 - 2004 Mustang GT
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 12:01 AM

Tags for this Thread