FG XR8... Project AluminaTTor - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Amazing craftsmanship.
    I love the Aussie Fords....................

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

I have been slack on the updates, so here are some progress shots over the last few weeks:
    Engine bay with the manifold dummied up and the CNC FRPP throttle on board:

Brake setup Front and rear. Front uses the FR500C caliper and carbon pad, rear uses the 2000 Cobra R caliper and pads.... both use a 355mm disc for now, the fronts will later be upgraded to 380mm and an 8-piston caliper as used on the Charger upgrade:

Side view showing the additional cooling vanes that the FR500C rotors get.... (yes, these are the 72 vane optional upgrade!)

Modification to the shock tower underway:

Studs at the front have been reversed to allow the dump pipe to have good clearance:

And the engine bay after the bodywork done and resprayed in gloss "Lightning Strike" as per the outside duco:

This is where the battery box was cut out to allow the RHS turbo to reside:

Scalloped out shock tower for the LHS turbo dump:

Under the bonnet done as well

The engine getting ready to go back in, RHS ceramic coated log and mounts on:

LHS:

Engine back in and the XFT-strengthened ZF 6 speed auto bolted back up as well:

So last night I made a start working out the fuel system:
    2200cc Hi-impedence injectors:

Fuel rails:

Installed on the FR500C intake manifold:

With some fuel fittings on.... just toying with ideas..... looks cool I reckon:

Test fit the throttle body again and check the required clearancing as the manifold is designed for a twin 57 and not 62's like the 3V CNC piece:

Keep ya's updated.
    Daniel
    Last edited by CAT600; 02-11-2010 at 04:14 AM.

Beautiful! Very inspiring. It'd take me many, many, MANY years to do that (this doesn't include the years of begging the wife). Can't wait for more updates!

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Amazing build!!! Keep up the awesome pictures!! That thing should rip when it's done!!

Just out of curiosity though: Your car originally came with the DOHC 5.4. Why did you choose to get rid of the 5.4 in favor of a 4.6 based motor instead? To save on weight? The budget is obviously not an issue, so why didn't you just go with a Ford GT aluminum 5.4 motor? Was it the intake options? Space? I'm curious.

On a funny note for comparison's sake: Over on the opposite side of the world here in the states, the water in the toilet spins counterclockwise, it's summer in June, people drive on the right hand side of the road, the steering wheel is on the left hand side, and 5.4 swaps are popular for all the two door cars that only came with 4.6 motors. Not to mention that lots of American women are fat and ugly.

Down under, the water in the toilet spins clockwise, it's summer in January, people drive on the left hand side of the road, the steering wheel is on the right hand side and 4.6 swaps are popular for the four door cars that came with 5.4 motors that we can't get in the states. The Australian women, on the other hand, are all hot.

Homer

ohhh SWEET! ........ man im loving your budget the thing is soooooooooo nice ....

infact im building up a boss 260 atm for twin turbo . could i drop you a few pm's for a bit of good first hand advice .... cant wait for the power rating figures.....

i would like to know how on earth you will change the oil filter ..... that has me stumped a bit.....

Default Long overdue update

OK.... it's not a ploy to get you guys to join the Australian Ford Forums for more regular updates (I promise).... but here are some long overdue updates on the build:

FR500C brake upgrade on the front all finished:

The rears with the Cobra R front calipers and 355mm vented 2 piece rotors all mounted:

Up on the hoist above the Terminator:

2 Bar MAP sensor installed on the FR500C manifold (in place of the IAC motor):

Intercooler mocked up on the car:

Fuel system coming together, 4 x 044 Bosch pumps and 2 x Aeromotive speed controllers being fed by a 12 Quart surge:

Engine starting to get finalised under the hood:

Turbos fully hooked up and blanketed:

Engine basically finished:

On the Dyno we ran it in to 5800rpm at 12 psi, 16psi and 20psi tunes on your equivalent to 91 octane pump fuel..... results were 570, 623 and 660 rwhp respectively...... more rpms should see well over 700rwhp on pump and aiming for around 900rwhp on E85 with 100cpsi cats still in place.

The car got lowered late last week and my new Bronze coloured Rays rims fitted:

We'll be back on the dyno at the end of this week pushing the RPM up hopefully on pump fuel, then we'll shoot for 30psi on E85 and get some timing into this thing to make real power!

Hope you like it...

Daniel

Senior Member Array

Any updates on the beast?

Good God thats a sweet ass project.. Dyno numbers ?

and man.. that intake manifold is like sex to my eyes

Could you please let us know how much does that intake cost ?

Thanks.

Didn't this car originally come with a 5.4? Why did you choose to go with a 4.6 rather than the 5.4 it came with?

Homer

Hey fellas, the car is going great at the moment, just been too busy to get the thing on E85 and run it up again.... we have a drag day coming up and my tuner has several engines to build, fit and tune still so it's not easy getting dyno time ATM.

1fst_GT..... Intake's go for about 2,000 off ebay I think Summit had them for 1,750 but I dont know what their suppy was like.

IUP99SNAKE..... Yep these engines come with a 5.4 but they are a sintered rod/cast piston deal and iron block (Navi Engine) so not ideal for what I wanted to do. This car is about 100 lbs lighter now than when it was bought even with all the turbo setup, brakes, fuel system etc and the little bugger will rip to 7700 on the auto's 1-2 shift. No 5.4L can give that feeling, plus it's easier on the tyres with less torque down low and the ability to add more boost up high to make the top end numbers.

Plus when fully forged shorts are only $3,500, FGT heads are $1,000 ea and you can get a cool manifold to suit straight off the shelf, why not?

I love my 4.6's, you guys are so lucky to have such a sweet engine in your mainstream stuff.

Daniel

just a quicky do you still have the 290? Would you sell to a fellow aussie if so?

Quote Originally Posted by darkshine5 View Post
    just a quicky do you still have the 290? Would you sell to a fellow aussie if so?
    No, sorry mate she's long gone.... sold to fund this project early on.

Forgot to mention earlier as well, a couple of weeks ago we put a modified stall converter in front of the ZF 6 speed auto with what looks like very promising results. Where the engine would not rpm beyond 2400rpm with the factory converter, we can now go to 4000rpm and have 12psi of boost available on a launch.

Cant wait to test it next week at the drags.

Daniel

Senior Member Array

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to run so much boost and really low timing? I would think you 'd make more power doing it the other way around and it would probably pull all the way to 7K+.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo98 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to run so much boost and really low timing? I would think you 'd make more power doing it the other way around and it would probably pull all the way to 7K+.
    That was always my plan actually, but (and we are not sure why) the engine was falling over above 6K whether it had 13psi or 24psi...... nothing to do with boost timing or such. I believed that the runner length may have been an issue but we removed the trumpets and lost power. The car went back on the dyno and made power to 6300 with higher boost so we will have a play. I am not electing to run high boost with less timing but we wanted to see how much power pump fuel would make. 13psi with 16 degrees made a lot less power than 24psi with 8 degrees did.

Please keep in mind the car is nowhere near tuned, its a run-in tune, i'll have more later on.

Daniel

Senior Member Array

Hmm... Well, I seriously doubt it's the runner length. The '03/'04 Cobra guys make good power with long runners. I'm sure you'll figure it out when you really start tuning it. Nice build!

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last