Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just finished bolting them on...
The part # is SUM-541-5465PS WHEEL 541 15X4 5-4.5 1 3/4BS

The front wheels had to have a spacer. The spacer I used is 5/16th's of an inch and requires the calipers to be clearanced "slightly". I used a Tiger disk instead of a grinder wheel because not much clearancing is needed...(around 1/16th of an inch). A 3/8th's spacer shouldn't require any clearancing.
Spacer part # MRG-2371 WHEEL SPACER 5/16IN.

The rear wheels fit without spacer.
Rear wheel part # SUM-541-5866PS WHEEL 541 15X8 5-4.5 5.5BS

The lug nuts I used are open faced tapered shank. I do not have a part # for them. I asked my tire guy for part # or other info... all I got was "I order them through a wholesale company and any tire shop should be able to get them, they are a tuner style and I always just ask him for ET lug nuts for whatever model car I'm installing them on". I'll post pics of them, but you're on your own with them I guess. All I know is they have 1/2" stamped on them...that's all. They do go all the way through the wheel just to the edge of the mounting flange.
Anyway, here are the pics....

This is a break down of what my bathroom scales showed...

My 18" front wheel and tire are 58#'s each.
My 18" rear wheel and tire are 60#'s each.
Total weight for 18" wheels and tires = 236#'s

Front runner 15" wheel and tire are 27.5#'s each.
Rear 15" wheel with 26X10X15 M/T slick are 35#'s each.
Total weight for 15" wheels and tires = 125#'s

236#'s minus 125#'s = 111#'s total weight savings, with 50#'s of that being from the rear wheels cutting down on parasytic drag.

·
05 BOSS 302
3,947 Posts
What year is your car. Do you have pics of the kind of clearance you have on the rear wheels?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Maybe thats why they fit, dont the 2005's have a little different caliper?

·
Registered
375 Posts
approxmently how much do they clear by in the rear. and is it the top of the caliper that is close or the front face?

·
Registered
850 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I know they changed from 05 to 06 on the front brakes

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=422214
That's interesting... I have two friends that are using the same front runners and they both had the same amount of clearance. One is an '05 and one is an '07. Oh well, I guess maybe they were different calipers, but had the same clearance? Dunno...I'm glad mine worked out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
approxmently how much do they clear by in the rear. and is it the top of the caliper that is close or the front face?
The best way for me to describe it is like this... If the calipers were square, it would be the area where the upper corner closest to the wheel lip would be. That's the area that's close. It's not the outermost face of the caliper, and not the top either. Does that make sense???

·
Registered
375 Posts
any idea on the estimation of clearence you have on the rears, and if the if its a tight fit on the front face, or the top of the caliper?

·
Registered
375 Posts
yeah that makes sense, sorry for asking again i didnt see there was a second post. I wish they were 10 inches wide though. How does the quality seem? good? would you trust using them with street driving?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah that makes sense, sorry for asking again i didnt see there was a second post. I wish they were 10 inches wide though. How does the quality seem? good? would you trust using them with street driving?
The quality appears to be average/good. They are substantial enough for street driving, although I'm leary of driving in traffic too much with the front runners. One of the friends that I mentioned earlier totaled his foxbody when someone pulled out in front of him because he couldn't stop in time. I'd still drive to and from the track with them though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Front Wheel Studs

Are the front wheel studs long enough with the spacers? What i mean by this is, do the studs stick threw the lug nuts enough to be legal at the track. A close up pic of the lugs, with wheel mounted, would be helpful. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are the front wheel studs long enough with the spacers? What i mean by this is, do the studs stick threw the lug nuts enough to be legal at the track. A close up pic of the lugs, with wheel mounted, would be helpful. Thanks for any help.
This is the best pic I have of the studs and the caliper clearance. If your tech inspection is strict, you won't pass. My track is pretty laid back, they will let it pass for sure. There are guys at my track that run with closed ended lug nuts and nothings said... The stud sticks past the end of the lugnut about 1/4 inch, but there are no threads on the end of the stock studs...which = no go with a strict tech inspection.

·
Registered
375 Posts
of subject, but at what time at the track do you need open lug nuts, or what is the requirements for needing them?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
of subject, but at what time at the track do you need open lug nuts, or what is the requirements for needing them?
I won't pretend to know that much about regulations, but I think it depends on who sanctions your track. My track is IHRA, but most go by NHRA rules. This is what I found when I googled it, I think it mainly depends on how strict the tech inspectors are at your track... it's about 1/4 way down the page.
{Obviously, all lug nuts and studs must be in place. For slower cars, this isn’t a critical point, especially when using O.E.M. wheels. But with faster cars and aftermarket wheels, the concern is that the lug nut engage the threads of the stud for a distance at least equal to the diameter of the stud. Inquire at your local track as to what the tech inspector will accept.}

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/nhra_legal_rules_regulations_time_brackets/index.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
i actually like the way these look. I would like to try these out on my car.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts