Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

New Steeda lightweight k-member

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  sonicblu03kbsnk 
#1 · (Edited)
I enjoyed reading about this item in one of the recent MM&FF mags. Anyone have any experience with it? Looks beefy and gives the option of running stock control arms with coil springs or coilovers. I also like that it has and extra set of repositioned lower control arm mounting holes for cars lowered over 1.5".

http://www.steeda.com/products/mustang-k-member.php

#4 ·
I prefer robust over flyweight. Some of the more track-oriented tubular k-members scare the hell out of me for a street car. My stock k-member has save my oil pan a couple of times.

Good point on mixing control arms with other k-members, but the ability to use coil springs isn't common. I think there are only a couple of such models.

#5 ·
Color me unimpressed. "chrome moly" for a structural member? Come on. Think brittle cracking potential. "Only stock Urethane bushing allowed" for the steering rack? What century did they start thinking this stuff up?

The MM piece is virtually the same price, proven and comes with geometry improvements to boot i'm with ya. If light weight is the only "plus", I'd pass.

#6 ·
Bringing this back up to see if anyone has run it. I'm thinking of doing the k-member before Spring. The best thing about doing the Steeda, or any other k-member that allows stock a-arms (PA Racing, AJE), is that I can do it in stages instead of having to take a $1300 hit all at once when upgrading to the MM with their control arms and coil overs. And it's not that the Steeda only works with urethane bushings... it only works with bushings with a 3/4" ID. A lot of the aftermarket aluminum bushins are smaller. I'm sure one could have something made up if there aren't any 3/4" ID aluminum bushings readily available on the market.

#8 ·
ive got a psr k member, and the sonofabitch with their control arms was UNREAL how light it was.. it is super strong as ive read and noticed.... moreover the car coupled with it and mm coilovers (dspec struts, no sway bar) handles WAAY better than the car did with strange struts, sway bar and mach1 springs..... too bad these arent made anymore cuz i'd recommend them

#9 ·
Sounds like you have the same front end setup as I've got. I have the PSR k member, MM coilovers, Dspec struts, no sway bar as well. It's a very good combo that works. The PSR K member is very lightweight and strong as hell. I got mine with a clear coat on it and stripped it down and inspected it using an Eddy Current machine. It passed with flying colors, the welds were perfect and the material was of uniform thickness throughout. I was very happy with it.

#13 ·
Eddy current can be very hard to get a clear reading over non smooth surfaces. Plus an eddy current machine is not always accurate unless you have a piece of the same material that is not cracked to test against for a baseline, having a piece that is cracked or intentionally scored is actually best. Ontop of that ANY coating paint, clear coat, powerder coat can and will mess with your readings.

An X-ray is actually the best way to inspect a weld from what I understand. If the surface is clean Die penetrant will also work but is only good for surface cracking and wont show anything internal.

#15 ·
Eddy current can be very hard to get a clear reading over non smooth surfaces. Plus an eddy current machine is not always accurate unless you have a piece of the same material that is not cracked to test against for a baseline, having a piece that is cracked or intentionally scored is actually best. Ontop of that ANY coating paint, clear coat, powerder coat can and will mess with your readings.

An X-ray is actually the best way to inspect a weld from what I understand. If the surface is clean Die penetrant will also work but is only good for surface cracking and wont show anything internal.
Yeah, I understand all this, I do this for a living :) . As was stated, the K member was bare, I do have the samples of the same material it's made out of and testing blocks that are scored to calibrate my machine. The Staveley welding probe is specifically made to inspect welds. The prefered method for weld inspection in the field is mag particle if you are checking ferrous material, this would have required me to take the K member into work (Since I don't have the equipment in my garage) which wasn't going to happen. The machines I use work very well for small weld inspection and are used extensively for this purpose in tight areas. RT (Xray) methods are great for lab useage, but can be difficult when done in the garage setting :)

#14 ·
that makes me feel pretty damned good knowing that the k member ive got is so stout.... i got mine used off a guy, with control arms, coilovers and dspecs for 900.00 shipped.... couldnt pass it up, and that thing is SUPER LIGHT!
DARKSIDE- he said he stripped it down before testing....

#17 ·
i think its kinda cool you had a chance to check out the exact brand make model k member ive got, and were able to come back with INDEPENDANT testing positive results.... i know from my own experience using the thing on my car that it is stout as shit, it definitely limits the flex of the cars front a good bit.... it literally can be held with EASE with one hand- the stocker takes two hands/or two ppl..... A+ in my book, and prob Helomech74's too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.