4r70w and 4r75w differences

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Array unclejunbug's Avatar

Default 4r70w and 4r75w differences

I searched on here a bit but didnt find a thread. Does anyone know the differences between a 4r70w and 4r75w? I have read from a few other places some of the differences but I wanted to start a thread on modularfords so I myself and others could ask questions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array candyandchrome's Avatar

4r75 comes form the factory with hardended internal parts.,

1. Stub Shaft
    2. Better Sun Gear
    3. Some other upgraded parts

Think of a 4R75 was a "factory" built 4R70. The 4r75 can handle more power and is put in the Mach 1, Mauraders, and I believe the Lighting

I took a damaged case 4R75 and put the better parts in my 4R70 case plus extra clutches and so far it's been a great Transmission!

A few differences I have found are the 4r75w has the following revisions: revised planitary ring gear, revised front pump assembly, wave plate used in the intermediate clutch, and maybe a few different accumulator springs. I have also read because of the revised planitary gear set and its oss sensor it can only be used with a computer for a 4r75w. 4r70w only works with 4r70w computer and 4r75w only works with 4r75w computer.

Ive read a wave plate softens the shift on the clutches.
    Can you replace the wave plate with a solid steel to firm it up and therfore have less slip?
    Can you rebuild a 4r75w with clutch parts from a 4r70w kit ?
    Are all clutches, steels, and bands the same size or thickness?
    Is what I have read so far true about the differences?

For anyone else like me who was woundering the oss speed sensor is the output shaft speed sensor. OSS for short.

Is the oss sensor what runs the speedometer in the newer cars thats why there are no splines or speed sensor in the tail shaft? And speed is run by sensor in the tail shaft of older transmissions?

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Lightnin Im pretty sure has a 4r100 but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by candyandchrome View Post
    4r75 comes form the factory with hardended internal parts.,

1. Stub Shaft
    2. Better Sun Gear
    3. Some other upgraded parts

Think of a 4R75 was a "factory" built 4R70. The 4r75 can handle more power and is put in the Mach 1, Mauraders, and I believe the Lighting

I took a damaged case 4R75 and put the better parts in my 4R70 case plus extra clutches and so far it's been a great Transmission!
    The lightning had the 100, and the 4R75W also came in the 04 GT's , in 04 the 0SS reading is 24 for the 4R75W , 99-03 the OSS reads 6 , from what I'v heard to install a 75 in a 70 car or vice versa , you have to change the setting in the computer to read the different OSS setting , like if you put a 75 in a 99-03 you would use somthing like SCT software go into Scalars > System switch> Number of holes for OSS sensor , and change it to 24 instead of 6 , I have never had to do this so there could be more to it then that !

Also the way you tell the difference between the 4R70W and the 75 by looking at them , the 75 has an extra sensor right above the shift linkage , the 75 has an OSS sensor and a VSS sensor !

Senior Member Array DOHC Holliday's Avatar

I can answer a few things off the top of my head to try and help...

In '04 I think they started using the 75 designation IIRRC.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejunbug View Post
    A few differences I have found are the 4r75w has the following revisions: revised planitary ring gear, revised front pump assembly, wave plate used in the intermediate clutch, and maybe a few different accumulator springs. I have also read because of the revised planitary gear set and its oss sensor it can only be used with a computer for a 4r75w. 4r70w only works with 4r70w computer and 4r75w only works with 4r75w computer.

The revised ring gear has lugs all the way around for the OSS to read off of, where earlier years read off of 6(I think) holes in the ring gear. Your speedo would be reading extremely high and you would end up with early shifts w/o the correct ring gear or calibration if possible.

Ive read a wave plate softens the shift on the clutches.
    Can you replace the wave plate with a solid steel to firm it up and therfore have less slip?

The wave spring is the intermediate clutch return spring. They went to a bonded piston in the revised pump you mentioned earlier. You can run an earlier pump with the aluminum piston and caged return spring if you really wanted though the new design piston may have a greater apply area. Not sure off the top of my head.

Can you rebuild a 4r75w with clutch parts from a 4r70w kit ?
    Are all clutches, steels, and bands the same size or thickness?

Yea, though the 75 will have plastic rings for the forward clutch. These are the two smaller diameter rings on the pump. You can use the metal rings from the 70 kit if you run an earlier pump. Intermediate clutch steels actually in a few thicknesses. It really all comes down to clearance in the end.

Is what I have read so far true about the differences?

For anyone else like me who was woundering the oss speed sensor is the output shaft speed sensor. OSS for short.

Is the oss sensor what runs the speedometer in the newer cars thats why there are no splines or speed sensor in the tail shaft? And speed is run by sensor in the tail shaft of older transmissions?
    Not sure if that helped at all. If it seems vague let me know if you need anything cleared up and I'll try and help.
    Last edited by DOHC Holliday; 04-19-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks guys. I had ordered a complete clutch rebuild kit and it has on the package fits aod/4r70/4r75w. Just have to check clearances i guess.

Lightning has the 4r100 from the Super Duty Series Pickup trucks.

If building a 4r7Xw auto, it really does not matter with witch you start.

12. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread