bumper/headlight alignment issue help!

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Array

Default bumper/headlight alignment issue help!

The suck ford body shop i went to says this is the best they can do to fix my car. It was in an accident and they had to replace the radiator core support, front bumper and headlights. What could be the issue here, and what can i adjust to close this awful gap. BOTH headlights have this same gap in the same spot.

Could it be the NON-Ford headlights they installed that dont fit right, or the bumper wasnt cut to correct specs, or is it something with the core support that needs to be adjusted??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

I had trouble with a Ford body shop a few years ago too. Actually it was just a Ford dealership that happened to have a body shop. They actually weren't certified by Ford, and I didn't do my homework until it was too late. I should've got a clue when I found out the place was an authorized Mercury Insurance repair facility (cheap!).

I have a gap similar to yours on the driver's side but not on the other. Maybe a bit smaller, but I could squeeze a screwdriver in there too if I tried. Stock headlights. Stock bumper - though it has been off in order to do the heat exchanger.

I actually never noticed it until I read you thread and checked. Thanks a lot buddy! j/k.

I have to say though, based upon your hood-line it does look like your bumper "wings" aren't laying back far enough. Also your white color probably makes the gap stand out.

If you want I can try to take a close up of the front of my car later and post it...or you might be able to already find plenty of examples on here...maybe in the photos section.

Senior Member Array

I went and looked at it a little closer tonite. The driver side gap is definately a lot bigger than the passanger side gap. The passanger side actually doesnt look that bad and i can live with it. The work order/estimate shows the only NON OEM/Ford parts used were the headlights and saleen bumper.

But looking at the headlight mount panel, i dont see ford stamped anywhere.

Also Does anybody know how the headlight mount panel is on the car? Is it one long piece that goes across the radiator to both headlights or is it seperate for each headlight?

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

I took a few more peeks myself and consulted a few manuals. Kinda hard to tell and I didn't feel like taking things apart. As I said, my passenger side is perfect and the driver's side is livable.

For yours, why not try a little disassembly? The headlights come out with just a coupe pins, and the bumper cover itself is just a mess of retainer pins and a couple nuts. The plastic covers/shields get right out of the way in a jiffy. I'm not sure you can realign the headlights so much (be careful of losing beam alignment), but I bet you could bend/lean that bumper cover or even just the 'horn' over a bit. Might need to drill a new hole is all if you're willing to give that a shot.

Senior Member Array

I bought a set of oem ford lights and they fit a ton better. Definately liveable. But now I have to adjust the passenger side headlight housing higher 1/8" to get rid of a gap. Hopefully loosening up the header panel and adjusting it a bit will work.

aftermarket parts suck to fitment... but check your insurance policy. you can get an oe endorsement on it... i thinki got mine for 12 dollars a month for my gt and if i ever get in a wreck, they can not put aftermarket sheetmetal or anything on my car. i do bodywork for a living and i see the crap these aftermarket body parts can do compared to oem

9. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread