Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

'95 Dart 363 PT88 Build Thread

5K views 8 replies 1 participant last post by  blacksaleen95 
#1 ·
This project is long overdue, and after a lot of down time this build is going to be underway. This is a 98% street car and will retain power steering, A/C, Overdrive, pump gas and radial tires. The goal of this car is to make 800rwhp on pump gas and run in the 9's. The car will have a custom built hotside, coldside and AEM EMS tune from Ballertown. The combo is as follows:

Engine:

• Dart 363
  • Forged Eagle Crank and rods
  • Vic Jr CNC Heads
  • Turbo People Solid Roller
  • TFS-R Box Intake
  • AEM EMS

Fuel System:

• 160lb Injectors
  • Dual Bosch 044's
  • -10 feed, -8 return

Drivetrain:

• Lentech AODE
  • 9.5 Lentech Converter
  • 8.8 w/c-locker 3.55's (soon to be 3.27's)

Suspension:

• PA Tubular K-member & A-Arms
  • Strange adjustable Shocks & Struts

Turbo:

• Precision PT88
  • JGS 60mm WG
  • JGS 60mm BOV

See less See more
#3 ·
The heads on my car don't use the conventional 2" wide ford exhaust bolt pattern, they use the Alan Root J302 style. I've been trying to locate some good flanges but nobody really makes anything 1/2" thick, and the ones that do want an arm and a leg. I was able to find a company that would laser me some flanges from a CAD file I provided them. Got the quote back this morning, they'll be getting cut Thursday so hopefully I'll have them early next week and can get the hotside build underway.

Here's a quick little snapshot of the 2d file they got, and the design I came up with. The regular ford and most aftermarket flanges copy each other in their design, and if you really look at them they're pretty fail for boosted applications. The actual sealing surface on some of these flanges between bolt holes and around the ports get close to 1/16" in some cases. This obviously does not promote sealing when you're trying to keep ~30psi in a header. As you'll see in my flanges I made sure there was a consistent sealing surface around the ports and made sure they were thick enough in some areas to prevent warping. Hopefully these will do the trick.

Organism Font Pattern Circle Drawing

#4 ·
Flanges were cut Thursday and shipped out friday, so I should have them this week. In the meantime I had to figure out where the f to put this turbo... It wouldn't be that bad except I refuse to take the a/c and p/s off which limits the room I have on the driver side of the car...

I tacked the flange onto the from rail for right now, the placement is pretty good, I'm probably going to have to move the radiator forward an inch, but that won't be tough. The DP is going to run in front of the crank pulley and then split from 4" to dual 3". After I get the hotside fit up to the merge, I'm going to section out a 1/2" to 1" from the frame rail so the exh flange doesn't hit. I had to get the turbo as far forward and to the right as I could, and I'm pretty happy with the placement. This will allow me to use all accessories and run a 4" downpipe.

Here's some pics of the flange tacked up to the frame with the turbo mounted. You can see in the pics where about the dp is going to go. The header flanges should be this week so I'll be able to get the headers/merge started. Just have to verify that I'll have room for the 60mm JGS wastegate, it's pretty massive and I want it to dump back into the dp.

#6 ·
Started making some progress recently. Started fabbing up the pass side header and got it finished and tacked up tonight. It fits perfect with plenty of room for my plugs/wires and header flange bolts. I'm happy with the way this one came out.

Trying to get an idea of where the collector is going to go.. the t4 flange is tacked to my frame rail for now..

Decided on placement and built the 1st primary to locate the collector and the rest of the primaries.

Second primary, had to tweak the design of the first primary a bit as it was going to interfere with the 3rd with the 1st design..

Not too bad for room... I had to keep the primaries close to the frame rail because I have my alt low mounted and needed the collector to dump near the rail.

Primary 3 and the collector

Final primary and fit up. It's a tight fit around the k-member and frame rails but it fits and touches nowhere. The driver side is next up and that will be tricky as the a/c compressor, steering shaft and oil filter are on that side and I'm going to have to snake around them..

What a mess!!!!!

#7 ·
Finished the dr side header today... Fits no prob with the a/c, P/s and full size oil filter. I started on the merge and will hopefully get that finished up this week sometime. The a/c line looks a lot closer to the collector than it actually is. I can't wait to get the hotside finished up so I can clean up the disgusting engine bay.

Had to get a little crafty with the first primary. A/C lines are in the way.

Close enough...

#8 ·
Well, this semester has been quite busy for me, so I haven't had much time to work on the car, hence the lack of updates. Finals are coming up in the next few weeks, and I had a few open days this week to work on the car. I had been working on the merge, the first one I made didn't go as well as I wanted so I decided to get another U and 90 and try it again. I was able to get the merge done and get it up to the turbo tonight. As you can see by the pics, there's a section below the turbo that connects to the merge, I made this section v-banded so If I need to upgrade to a T6 flange turbo I'll be able to just make that small section and reuse my whole hotside.

I made the merge using the technique in the "how to make a merge" thread, I also used flour and water and it worked great.

Here's the section to go from the merge to the turbo. If I need to upgrade to a t6, I can just replace this small section and reuse the hotside. This will also make taking the turbo off much easier.

As many have recommended, I removed the wire mesh on the inside of the flex.. here's before and after. I found just using a screwdriver and prying the mesh out worked best...

That's it for now. I've got to get it all mocked back up, bolt the turbo up and see where the DP is gonna end up. I think I've got a spot for the WG, so hopefully I'll get that done soon. Stay tuned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.