Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a case of 15w50 mobil one synthetic oil today.....is this overkill. I know that underhood temps in the '03 are up there compared to a normal car...will this help, or is it not worth it...and will it be hard on the car if it is not properly warmed up before each drive. I am the type to let my car warm up EVERY time it has set more than 4 hours. Please chime in...I still have the receipt and it is not to late to exchange it.

Thanks

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
brian, im running 10/30 in mine. I noticed a little bit more a valvetrain noise on startup now. Im switchin to something a tad thicker here in about 1000 miles.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good god, who told you to run 15 50 in the car???? PLEASE don't put that oil in that motor...Its WAYYY too thick for a 4 Cam motor....0-30 and 5-30 are your best bets for oil, forget everything else...

Jeff

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
I believe the clearances on these motors do require lighter oil.The 15w50 is way too thick..

·
Registered
10 Posts
i just changed mine for the 1st time @2500 miles, i'm using 5-30 Amsoil and will top off with 0-30....and its way cooler in alaska, right

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went and exchanged for 10w30....just to be safe...thanks everyone for the feedback....

·
Registered
38 Posts
0,5,10/30 are fine

The main reason not to use 15w50 is for cooling - modern cars designed to use lower vis oils have oil pump and oil flow rates designed for lower vis - a thicker oil wil not circulate as quickly, and actually can provide inadequate cooling of the bottom 1/3 of your engine, which relies on oil to cool it. Plus, the fluid friction of thicker vis oils is higher, which means they generate more heat by the rolling over of the molecules, one against the other.

Plus, higher vis = lower power due to pumping losses. You made ther right decision. A qulaity synoil will provide all the film strength you need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts