AM's 2011 GT VIDEO - 28RWHP w/CAI & Tune

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default AM's 2011 GT VIDEO - 28RWHP w/CAI & Tune

At AmericanMuscle, we're Mustang people. We support do-it-yourselfers by offering tech articles, installation guides, and now product information and real-world results for the 2011 Mustang.

Once our Bama Custom Tuning team got their hands on our 2011 5.0 GT, they couldn't wait to get started installing and testing the exclusive prototypes we've been helping develop. We can't tell you about all of them yet, but there is one we can share with you--a prototype C&L CAI. Think a custom tune and a CAI can't give you impressive hp gains? Think again. Here's our dyno breakdown:

· Stock – no modifications: 363RWHP / 331RWTQ
    · Factory tune, Prototype C&L cold air intake: 374RWHP / 338RWTQ
    · Bama Custom Tune, stock Airbox: 379RWHP / 357RWTQ
    · Bama Custom Tune, Prototype C&L cold air intake: 385RWHP / 362RWTQ

All tunes are not created equal, check out our blog (with video!) here to see why Bama Custom Tunes are ahead of the curve.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AMChrisRose View Post
    At AmericanMuscle, we're Mustang people. We support do-it-yourselfers by offering tech articles, installation guides, and now product information and real-world results for the 2011 Mustang.

Once our Bama Custom Tuning team got their hands on our 2011 5.0 GT, they couldn't wait to get started installing and testing the exclusive prototypes we've been helping develop. We can't tell you about all of them yet, but there is one we can share with you--a prototype C&L CAI. Think a custom tune and a CAI can't give you impressive hp gains? Think again. Here's our dyno breakdown:

· Stock – no modifications: 363RWHP / 331RWTQ
    · Factory tune, Prototype C&L cold air intake: 374RWHP / 338RWTQ
    · Bama Custom Tune, stock Airbox: 379RWHP / 357RWTQ
    · Bama Custom Tune, Prototype C&L cold air intake: 385RWHP / 362RWTQ

All tunes are not created equal, check out our blog (with video!) here to see why Bama Custom Tunes are ahead of the curve.

so basically the cai is worth 6hp. nice to see real world testing

11RWHP with the insert in and no tuning. Which isn't terrible at all!

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
    so basically the cai is worth 6hp. nice to see real world testing
    Agreed. Good to see honest results.

jeez, filter and stock air box is looking pretty good

The cold air intake with the factory insert was worth 11 horsepower at the wheels, not 6. The power gains don't "stack" on top of each other. Once we calibrate the car to optimize air/fuel ratio (which the intake with the no tune insert does with the insert in), then the power gain from the intake alone will slightly decrease. If you did this same testing on a 2005-2010, you'd find similar results.

Quote Originally Posted by AMChrisRose View Post
    The cold air intake with the factory insert was worth 11 horsepower at the wheels, not 6. The power gains don't "stack" on top of each other. Once we calibrate the car to optimize air/fuel ratio (which the intake with the no tune insert does with the insert in), then the power gain from the intake alone will slightly decrease. If you did this same testing on a 2005-2010, you'd find similar results.
    yes, but 95% of the people that are going to add a cai are going to add a tune. so if the tune alone will get you 20 of the 26 hp, the intake doesn't seem so worth it, if your not planning on tuning, then fine, but with the tune is what most people would do anyway

I'd pay $200 for a true, repeatable, 6 RWHP. In a heartbeat. And call it a good deal. Outside of a quality tune, what else is going to give you that kind of power gain for that kind of money? Anybody want to do the math? Are there better power-to-dollar mods out there? Sure. A tune is obviously way up there. But how many folks would buy a full exhaust, gain....I don't know...lets say 30 RWHP, and end up paying over $1500 for it? Check the prices that are out there for headers & X-pipes, then do the math. Going further, what is the cost of a proper tune....on a dyno? That includes the tuning device and dyno time.

Even at 6 RWHP....a CAI that costs ~$200 is a good performance value, and I'm not really a fan of the things...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
    I'd pay $200 for a true, repeatable, 6 RWHP. In a heartbeat. And call it a good deal. Outside of a quality tune, what else is going to give you that kind of power gain for that kind of money? Anybody want to do the math? Are there better power-to-dollar mods out there? Sure. A tune is obviously way up there. But how many folks would buy a full exhaust, gain....I don't know...lets say 30 RWHP, and end up paying over $1500 for it? Check the prices that are out there for headers & X-pipes, then do the math. Going further, what is the cost of a proper tune....on a dyno? That includes the tuning device and dyno time.

Even at 6 RWHP....a CAI that costs ~$200 is a good performance value, and I'm not really a fan of the things...
    i agree at $200, but what are these running, $400?

Steedas is, but.....lets see....let me be PC.....they tend to be on the high end of the price spectrum.

I have to agree with the above statement. Furthermore, any additional modifications down the road are going to be better effectively use the cold air intake. It's a 95mm intake that will probably flourish when combined with long tube headers, off road exhaust, forced induction, cams, etc.

The quality of the intake is unsurpassed, and there's no doubt in my mind that the end user will be very happy with the results if they purchase one of our intake/tuner combos when they become available.

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
    i agree at $200, but what are these running, $400?

Ya when you see a Steeda, [email protected] or JLT for $200 let me know

I also would like to see what the others do with the tune though.

Senior Member Array

Yep. Compare that to headers. The price per HP gained for a CAI is not bad at all. Nonetheless Chris, leave the 11 horsepower ricer math back at the shop.

We did get 11RWHP bolting the CAI with the tune insert. I think you're mistaken. No tuning, nothing... just bolting it on. How's that ricer math? Look at our results and let me know. Are you factoring in the fact that someone who has long tube headers and other aftermarket pieces that have larger air requirements will take better advantage of this 95mm intake and could find the stock airbox a restriction?

This intake will probably sell for 300-350 by itself (??), but we'll have to let you know once C&L releases something official. This would put the intake/tune package between 600-700.

Ok, I'm not sure where I was getting the $200 figure from now - I guess I was dreaming it or imagined it.

At $300+, I'm probably going to buy a high-flow filter and make something on my own. No offense to you guys or C&L - I'm sure you have a quality kit.

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last